Ever seen an AI create a map for Marathon? (Infinity)

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Re: Ever seen an AI create a map for Marathon? (Infinity)

Post Jan 21st '15, 04:48

Piggybacking off of what Philtron brought up w/r/t teleporters, you also need to bear in mind that your orientation is preserved when going through them; if you go into a teleporter facing north, you'll be facing north at the destination. In this case, the teleporter and destination are on the same side of the room, when they need to be opposite.

Also, virtually any door that is operated with a switch should also be flagged as activating only once and "can't deactivate externally." There's no real reason that you would want to close the big door once you open it, but of course you can put yourself in the position that Philtron pointed out. Sure, you could have a switch on both sides of the door, but I think you should just make it stick open.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 21st '15, 05:09

You made Ryoko feel clever. Mission accomplished.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 21st '15, 05:16

I make myself feel clever every time I remember to tie both my shoes in the morning, it's not really an achievement.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 21st '15, 15:36

Thanks again!

I'll try to remember to implement/change all this stuff when I get around to it. Yeah, I was confused myself while play-testing as to why the switches are already active. Most of them actually do open multiple doors.
Is there any way to fix this other than by setting them to platform triggers? As mentioned, a lot of them trigger multiple platforms.

Philtron: I'm sorry I didn't make it clear enough, it was probably due to that 'useless' room with the enemies. That switch triggers the door with the enemies as well as that northern one you thought was a secret.
Good job on finding all the secrets! None of them are very hard to find, except for the southern one maybe.

Did all of you get the x1 can that teleports on to the throne?

Ryoko: should I set the platform to 'can't deactivate externally' or the switch itself? I don't remember seeing that option for switches in Vasara. I'll have to check again later. That stuff about the teleporter will be very handy.

Expect to see the next map in a while, I have two really busy weeks coming up.
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post Jan 21st '15, 18:11

Tycho X wrote:Ryoko: should I set the platform to 'can't deactivate externally' or the switch itself?

platform

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 21st '15, 18:17

treellama wrote:
Tycho X wrote:Ryoko: should I set the platform to 'can't deactivate externally' or the switch itself?

platform

Thought so. Thanks
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post Jan 21st '15, 22:20

Your tag switches are already active due to how maps save in Aleph One. You have to manually deactivate those switches before saving, because saving the map includes saving the state of such switches.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 21st '15, 22:46

You can also turn a tag switch on or off with the "Tag is active" checkbox in Vasara's switch settings. This is useful when the Action key doesn't work, for instance if your switch is weapons-only or light-dependent.

Hopper

Post Jan 22nd '15, 05:45

Good to know, thanks!
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Previous

Return to Mapping