How to Create a Simple Column or Pillar

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

How to Create a Simple Column or Pillar

Post Dec 30th '14, 20:29

Hi,

I am trying to improve my simple maps. How do I create a single, simple square column? All the trilogy manual says is to create negative space (a filled polygon surrounding an unfilled polygon). I tried that but nothing shows up on my map when I go to texture it.

Can anyone help or send me a simple example (sample map w/a column)?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-p

dustu

Post Dec 30th '14, 21:02

Hi,
thanks for the speedy reply! It sort of helps. I can't seem to add pillars or columns to my existing map.

Sorry to be a dunce. I've attached my map with a few examples I attempted.

I am unable to fill the outer polygons for the circle or square w/out also filling the inner ones. Not to mention the need to fill the room polygon that contains all these.

What am I missing?
Attachments
Stinkarama.sceA.zip
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

dustu

Post Dec 30th '14, 21:24

You have to form polygons *around* the negative space. Note how on Ryoko's image, every point of the square connects to a point in the outer rectangle. To make a pillar within a rectangle you need at least four polygons; one polygon around each side of the square. A polygon in Marathon has to be a whole, concave shape. It cannot have negative space within itself.

$lave

Post Dec 30th '14, 23:13

When I started mapping I was simply putting polygons "on top" of other polygons.
Shocktart

Post Dec 31st '14, 00:29

Yea. That's exactly what I was doing. The trilogy manual was unclear about this. But now that i look at it again, the pic is very similar to what RyokoTK posted in this thread.

Thanks to all for your help everyone!

Shocktart wrote:When I started mapping I was simply putting polygons "on top" of other polygons.

dustu

Post Dec 31st '14, 15:43

Thanks to everyone's help, I was able to get both circular and rectangular columns to work. Yay! Much appreciated.

dustu

Post Dec 31st '14, 15:43

Thank you sir. :)

RyokoTK wrote:Does this help?

dustu

Return to Mapping