A small solo level for Apotheosis

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Corrasion
Spazeroid

DOWNLOAD

It's my first attempt at Marathon mapping, so expect questionable balance, at the very least. Also, there are two issues I couldn't resolve:

1. A trigger is supposed to activate 3 invisible enforcers, but only 2 of them spawn. I'm perfectly content with this behavior, but a bug is a bug. Removing the one that doesn't spawn leads to one of the others failing to spawn.

2. Juggernauts were supposed to spawn on the glowing pillars, but they can't fly over them for some reason, which makes them stuck. I fixed it by moving them into other polygons, but it would be nice to know what caused the problem. Changing the pillars' height or shape didn't help.

If you don't have Apotheosis, here's a working link.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Regarding problem #1, do you play on Easy or Kindergarten? If so, the game will reduce the number of enemies.
Tycho X
Cyborg

Crater Creator wrote:Regarding problem #1, do you play on Easy or Kindergarten? If so, the game will reduce the number of enemies.
Actually, I'm pretty sure difficulty only affects wether a monster is minor or major.

Regarding problem #2, you may have set the pillar's walls to 'solid', thus the juggernaut is unable to move.
If that's not it, check the ceiling height again, jugs' need a lot of space
Frog blast the vent core!
$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.
Corrasion
Spazeroid

Crater Creator wrote:Regarding problem #1, do you play on Easy or Kindergarten?
No. It's like that even on Total Carnage.
Tycho X wrote:Regarding problem #2, you may have set the pillar's walls to 'solid', thus the juggernaut is unable to move.
If that's not it, check the ceiling height again, jugs' need a lot of space
Nah, the walls are not solid. The polygons in question are 3,3 WU tall.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Tycho X wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure difficulty only affects wether a monster is minor or major.
This is incorrect. On Easy and Kindergarten, monsters are randomly seeded to be deleted from the map. That's what the Cannot Skip flag under behavior settings is for; important enemies, like Juggernauts, have it flagged so they are never deleted.
Tycho X
Cyborg

RyokoTK wrote:
Tycho X wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure difficulty only affects wether a monster is minor or major.
This is incorrect. On Easy and Kindergarten, monsters are randomly seeded to be deleted from the map. That's what the Cannot Skip flag under behavior settings is for; important enemies, like Juggernauts, have it flagged so they are never deleted.
Interesting. I'm surprised I've never noticed.
Frog blast the vent core!
$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.
Corrasion
Spazeroid

Gotta say, I'm finding it difficult to maintain balance in this game due to the way skill levels are handled. The enemies are skipped/replaced automatically, but the ammo stays the same, which leads to either overabundance of ammo on lower skills, or ammo starvation on higher skills, or both.

At least now I know why Phoenix had these big ammo piles I didn't need on Normal.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Yeah, that was a massive problem with balance that I had while making Phoenix. I eventually decided to just settle on making Total Carnage the Authentic Experience and letting the lower difficulties just deal with it; my central assumption was that people that play on Normal or lower probably don't care all that much about perfect difficulty balance. I found that preferable to situations like that of EVIL, where you quite simply don't have the ammo you need to survive on TC without a very tedious and unpleasant experience of trying to punch inescapable Devlins to death.

It's just not quite as simple as it is in Doom, where monster behavior doesn't change from difficulty to difficulty (except for Nightmare, but no one cares about that), it's just that higher difficulties have more monsters, but the map creator has full control over it the whole way through.
Corrasion
Spazeroid

RyokoTK wrote:I found that preferable to situations like that of EVIL, where you quite simply don't have the ammo you need to survive on TC without a very tedious and unpleasant experience of trying to punch inescapable Devlins to death.
Yeah, definitely.