Enemies going passive for no reason.

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Enemies going passive for no reason.

Post Jul 7th '16, 23:01

Looking for a diagnosis.
The Monsters in my map are going passive for no reason, about halfway through the map the enemies appear stuck making noise and not attacking.

All my zone borders are in place.
Monster impassable polygons don't get in between the monsters and the player.
I've tried making all allies teleport out to ensure that no enemies target them despite being in entirely different sections of the map.
The number of active enemies is light.

All of this is proven because when I spawn my player character into individual areas the monsters activate and attack as they should, I need to know what the issue could be because I'm doing and undoing a lot of unnecessary changes to the map trying to diagnose the issue.
Shocktart

Post Jul 8th '16, 00:42

Sadly, you are not the first person to have this issue:

The Aleph One engine has a limit on how many monsters can be active at a given time, so if you have more than about 24 dudes running around, new monsters wont activate until those are killed. There should be a plugin or script that expands the monster limit to 128 or something on simplici7y.

The limit was imposed recently, for compatibility reasons. (recording files from the original engines sometimes break when more monsters are allowed to be active). Honestly I think that was a bad call, as it breaks many new maps.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 8th '16, 01:24

Ruining Alephone is never a bad call.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jul 8th '16, 03:56

...of course you would say that.

Anyway, here is a link to the relevent plugin, in case it wasn't included in the version of marathon you have:
http://simplici7y.com/items/aleph-one-previous-ai
Make sure it is enabled in the environment prefs.

General Tacticus

Post Jul 9th '16, 02:11

General Tacticus wrote:

...of course you would say that.

Anyway, here is a link to the relevent plugin, in case it wasn't included in the version of marathon you have:
http://simplici7y.com/items/aleph-one-previous-ai
Make sure it is enabled in the environment prefs.

Thanks, this has fixed my problem.
You wouldn't know how to fix an idle SMG sprite would you?
Shocktart

Post Jul 9th '16, 07:52

Always nice to help, I ran into the same problem with my maps a while back.

As for the smg, I've long since given up on trying to figure out shapes glitches.

I'd try making a fresh copy of the unmodified file and manually copying the changes over to it. (you can copy/paste over things in shapefusion using the overview list. Very handy)

General Tacticus

Post Jul 11th '16, 02:05

General Tacticus wrote:Always nice to help, I ran into the same problem with my maps a while back.

As for the smg, I've long since given up on trying to figure out shapes glitches.

I'd try making a fresh copy of the unmodified file and manually copying the changes over to it. (you can copy/paste over things in shapefusion using the overview list. Very handy)

Its refreshing to see another fan of the Drunken Peasants.
Shocktart

Return to Mapping