WJ's WORKS

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Sep 25th '09, 01:45

gmanyo wrote:I think that writing down your map ideas on paper is a great idea. Or at least to have a rough sketch. Really easy to change things that way, just erase and redraw instead of delete. Also, it makes your map more organized and they make more sense. You can make the architecture of a space ship *gasp* actually maybe what a space ship might look like in real life (if they existed).

It depends on the person. I tried sketching out a map on paper once, but translating it into forge didn't work at all and it ended up being a horrible map, so I never tried it again. I find it easy enough to change stuff in forge, and I don't think I'd have the patience to draw a map twice (in and outside of forge) anyway.

$lave

Post Sep 25th '09, 01:53

I like to have a general idea of what my maps will look like.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 25th '09, 02:09

I think what $lave is getting at is that expierenced mappers generally have a good idea of the map in their heads first.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Sep 25th '09, 02:16

See, I lose ideas. I think "hey, this might be cool!" and I draw out the map. Then when i get home i have a base to create.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 25th '09, 02:43

I just go. no plans. nothing. random hours of clicking, deleting, and everything until it looks DAMN good.

EDIT: i could just change the weapons for you, if juice is too much trouble.
Last edited by envy on Sep 25th '09, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Sep 25th '09, 03:04

Envy wrote:I just go. no plans. nothing. random hours of clicking, deleting, and everything until it looks DAMN good.

This seems to have worked well for you so far.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 25th '09, 14:49

haha. Actually, I got it done in juice. Texturing is a bitch though.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 25th '09, 17:54

^ Thank god for VML. Ha.
The nice thing about graph paper is it lets me create the level without redoing a bunch of shit. If I don't have a layout, then when I go back in to add detail(like split polys, mostly) I have to redraw a ton of polys. Best to just know where the detail is going to be from the start.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Pfheil

Post Sep 25th '09, 21:38

^especially for shadows caused by windows
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 25th '09, 22:08

WastdJamacan wrote:haha. Actually, I got it done in juice. Texturing is a bitch though.

visualmode.lua!

and ryoko, i only complain about the ones that failed. thats only like 10 percent. i only have problems when i screw with new ideas. (=
Last edited by envy on Sep 25th '09, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

envy

Post Sep 25th '09, 22:31

I know. I use VML. That doesnt make it not a bitch, although texturing with obed is hell.

actually, i think i prefer hell.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 27th '09, 22:50

i honestly don't think there is a good way to do it.

envy

Post Sep 28th '09, 01:24

It's been 5 days since i started this map. It should have been 1, 2 at the most. I'm just a lazy piece. I'm not particularly proud of this map, but it's my first one using a central area and various paths leading away and back to.

Pics or it dint happen

Attachments
Fountain_of_Youth___1.zip
(21.85 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Sep 28th '09, 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 28th '09, 14:21

Dont everybody speak at once.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 28th '09, 18:03

WastdJamacan wrote:Dont everybody speak at once.

Screenshots, please. They help determine if it's even worth the effort to download.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 28th '09, 18:18

Things I like:
1: The floaty cover-boxes on the stairs. Nice touch.
2: The cave like hallways, nice change of pace from the open area.

Things I don't like.
1: the fountain seems to dead end into the sky. Could you maybe have the sky a bit taller around the box, so it looks like the roof of it has some depth? Know what I mean?
2: There's some weird looking thing all over the ground in one of the open areas. It does a good job of breaking up movement through the area, but it looks confusing. Is it supposed to be something?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Sep 28th '09, 18:21

It's probably your best map yet, from the round I played on it. Fighting in the main area is more interesting than in your previous maps, although there were a couple flow hangups. The weapon balance was also definitely better in this map, although there seemed to be only one rocket launcher, which sometimes seemed a bit unbalanced.

The main downfalls of this map were the texturing and lack of anything besides the main area. Outside of the main area (which was sort of split into two areas) there was nothing but two hallways, which got a bit tiring. You're basically left running around the same place the whole game, it would be nice if there were a couple smaller rooms around instead of just a couple hallways. This would work better if the central area was a bit more focused, though, instead of being split into two separate areas. This is definitely your most playable map so far, though, good work!

$lave

Post Sep 28th '09, 20:56

Pfheil wrote:1: the fountain seems to dead end into the sky. Could you maybe have the sky a bit taller around the box, so it looks like the roof of it has some depth? Know what I mean?
2: There's some weird looking thing all over the ground in one of the open areas. It does a good job of breaking up movement through the area, but it looks confusing. Is it supposed to be something?

1. *Sigh* I noticed that too. I had already textured it most of the way, and loading it in obed would reset that.
2. Nothing in particular. They were the last polygons i placed, and, looking at it, it looked kinda like those ancient fish things, so i was like 'ill make something special out of it". My biggest issue with that area was that is was wide open.

@$lave, there is another rocket besides teh obvious one.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 28th '09, 21:20

Tim wrote:Screenshots, please. They help determine if it's even worth the effort to download.

i fixed that.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 29th '09, 17:37

Fix it in WEEEEEELLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND!(rocky theme song)
No, I understand what you mean.

WJ, have you mapped any more recently?
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Pfheil

Post Nov 21st '09, 19:27

This is an untextured (but paved) map with no polygon permutations as of yet except the part in the begining. No monsters either. Just for viewing the aesthetics If you care to see (ie: Dugit). Oh, and I don't have light 21.
Attachments
Alien_Training_Excercise_1.zip
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 21st '09, 20:17

Thankyou kindly. I loved the ruin feeling (that's why I loved the rubble-filled Chimera in Rubicon), and I can see a good map coming out of this if it is extended somewhat and a good story implemented. A good map, thoroughly, although I do have a couple of very minor quibbles. The first is the plasma around the rooms in the beginning (why?); the second is the random light casting in the first narrow corridor system (see screenshot). Even so, either the textures and lack of terminals misinform me, or you'll have fixed it by the time you've finished it. A truly great effort, Wastd. [MLaugh]

Wow- I haven't used emoticons in such a long time!

EDIT: Just noticed "Fountain of Youth" and played it. Great map (can see the inspiration), although there is again one or two minor quibbles. First, in Aleph One, in the southern corridors, my framerate is greatly reduced (do not know why), and second, there is a random hissing (Pfhor platform) noise in the outer areas.

Vale,
Dugit
Attachments
Picture_6.png
Picture_6.png (868.91 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
Last edited by Dugit on Nov 21st '09, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 21st '09, 22:21

I'll have to fix the light. the tiny triangles that are the light source should be at 15, not 0, and I dont have some things quite right. I don't really have a purpose for the plasma, except that I have always loved having an inaccessable liquid feature. Plus, it gives you a look into the next room you will have to enter.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 22nd '09, 09:00

Great, but another liquid medium, like water or maybe sewage would be more necessary.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 22nd '09, 22:45

necesary? I don't think that's quite the right word. But I'll take your advice.
D?rovací tvá?í.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping