Pushing

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

If the player is on a platform with the celling pushing down on him faster than he falls, will he be hurt or accelerated? Assume there is no floor.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

I'd assume he gets pushed, thats how floor platforms work... but why dont you just, you know, figure it out yourself? :P
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I tried to install a bad version of 10.5 for my mac and i had to reinstall the old OS, leaving me to reconfigure my crazy special controls and stuff. Ima bit too lazy is all.
treellama
Vidmaster

He will never be accelerated. He will either be hurt, or the platform will reverse direction.
Blake37
Born on Board

Treellama wrote:He will never be accelerated. He will either be hurt, or the platform will reverse direction.

I just built a map to test this, and you are indeed accelerated, although it's still unusable, since being pushed that hard by the platform makes the screen go all weird.

Contains: map which has a 10 WU drop that can either free fall down, or be pushed by a 5 wu/sec platform (that doesn't squish you at the bottom) and a teleporter to take you back up.

[attachment=3211:New_Comp...__Folder.zip]
Attachments
New_Compressed__zipped__Folder.zip
(1.64 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
Last edited by Blake37 on Oct 24th '09, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Wuts on yer mind, Llama?
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

I think you actually go through the platform, because it takes teh same amount of time to fall as when you are pushed. that's why it smears.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Blake37
Born on Board

WastdJamacan wrote:I think you actually go through the platform, because it takes teh same amount of time to fall as when you are pushed. that's why it smears.

I was wondering about the time. You do, however, bounce much higher when pushed by the platform than you do when you just drop.
Wuts on yer mind, Llama?
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

hmmm...
ok.
Pfheil
Cyborg

Should have "reverses when obstructed" and "causes damage" both unchecked. It will try to push the character out of the way, but if the platform fills the entire pit you'll be shoved to the side, and then things will go haywire.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Dugit
Vidmaster

I hate the way platforms, if you quickly hop off and on again whilst it's still moving, you can't stop moving! Sure, you can turn, but not actually stop! Is there a way to stop this, or am I just stupid and can't be bothered to stay still on a moving platform?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
treellama
Vidmaster

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=d ... tid=101997

Is your idea of topical, btw, "If a word is mentioned in the first post, and I use that word in my post, my post must be on topic?"
Last edited by treellama on Oct 25th '09, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Dugit
Vidmaster

It just seemed necessary. Thanks for the bug info.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:I hate the way platforms, if you quickly hop off and on again whilst it's still moving, you can't stop moving! Sure, you can turn, but not actually stop! Is there a way to stop this, or am I just stupid and can't be bothered to stay still on a moving platform?
That's not a bug, that's a feature!
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

yeah, wimp.
it is admittedly very fun to slide around on.

So what about the other way, can we make platforms fling us up? that would be some cool physics.
Pfheil
Cyborg

I've tried to launch myself in that manner, it doesn't seem to work. More's the pity, cause that would be sweet.
F-OBED F-OBED F-OBED
Map badly if you must, but MAP.
Crater Creator
Vidmaster

Basically, if your feet make contact with a moving platform, whether rising or falling, your vertical velocity is locked to the platform's velocity until you leave the polygon. I assumed the same could be said for your head, though, so I was surprised when Treellama said otherwise.