My very first NET map!

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Nov 8th '09, 19:03

Enjoy. [MTongue]

Vale,
Dugit
Attachments
Emeralds_of_Gangrene.zip
(26.66 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 8th '09, 21:36

Its much better than my first map, but most maps these days tend to focus on one or two large open areas and lots of different heights/textures/lighting. Yours is just kind of a maze with numerous dead ends.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 9th '09, 17:49

Maze?

I wouldn't say maze; I'd say a system of large, decorated corridors and some small open areas.

Did you like it?

Vale,
Dugit
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 10th '09, 02:12

Tried the map. It was pretty decent for a first timer, and has an abundance of flow potential, but there is still a problem that some areas make the player feel rather claustrophobic as the hallways seem to fit an exact player size. also, there is a point that just seems to be like a dead end, which is really bad for a map, especially an indoor one. Also, The Depot feels as though something is missing from there.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!

Kidtofu
Virginia

Post Nov 10th '09, 04:12

Personally, I loved it. Good exept for a few dead ends, but some dead ends are required! You can't have a rocket in a hallway, especially if it is the only one! so I applaud you.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Nov 10th '09, 21:52

*ahem*

Actually, if you look further down the Mapping list, there is a My Very First Map section, which is by me. This is my very first NET map, mind you. Still, thanks for the commendations; I'll try and improve it and maybe make a couple more net levels after my exams are over.

Vale,
Dugit

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 11th '09, 00:52

You should just make it a circle.
That'd be sweet.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Nov 11th '09, 04:01

Envy wrote:You should just make it a circle.
That'd be sweet.

Circles offer too much Flow. sometimes, too much flow is bad.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!

Kidtofu
Virginia

Post Nov 11th '09, 22:03

Envy wrote:You should just make it a circle.
That'd be sweet.

I believe Ryoko says NO ARENAS.

Check the checklist for net maps
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Nov 13th '09, 03:57

Now that I've hosted this map with more than one person, I might be able to rate it.

This map has pretty bad flow. It's mostly just going back and forth in a cluttered hallway. The area with the half walls is terrible, as players get stuck and get blown to bits. There aren't many weapons and even less ammo to go along with them. The SPNKR on this map is probably a bad idea because there isn't much room to use it. Try to add differential shading next time. This map has none and could benefit with some on walls, ceilings, pillars, etc.

A good start, but definitely needs improvement.
I don't care anymore.

Jim
Dayton, Ohio

Post Nov 13th '09, 07:18

I did add a little differential shading, but only at a very steady rate (e.g: -3 differ per adjoining affected polygon).

Thanks for the criticism; I'll try and patch up the flow, or even add some larger, open areas for the map. Or even start again.

Vale,
Dugit

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Return to Mapping