Zircons of Zeal

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jan 2nd '10, 21:50

Thanks. Just asking.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 2nd '10, 22:02

Nothing wrong with a bad idea if you ask about it beforehand so it can get weeded out. :)

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 2nd '10, 22:05

Also, I've added a secret to one of my new maps- it's a crappy sniper ledge. Should I make the sniper ledge better, or just leave it so it doesn't add too much of an unfair advantage, but then again, it's a secret?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 2nd '10, 22:20

Sniper ledges almost never prove to be especially game breaking since the game doesn't have a long-range weapon of particular merit in multiplayer.

A map that has sniper ledges as a particular strategic element is the Paradise Lost netmap X Syndrome. (hell yeah auto-horn-tootage) They can see almost the entire map and the central one in particular has easy access to almost the entire map -- and it's still not substantial enough to make a huge difference.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 2nd '10, 22:27

So that's a no or a yes, make it better?

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 09:33

I'll say no. I don't want anyone to have a huge advantage. [MWuh]

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 13:23

Dugit wrote:I don't want anyone to have a huge advantage. [MWuh]

Did you even read his post?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 13:34

Yes I did, because it seems my sniper ledge might provide some large advantage if I improved it. So I'm not going to improve it, and that is my own decision.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 17:56

OK, the attached image is the unfilled (and unprepared for filling) version of my newest level, Amethysts of Abomination. If there are any potential flow problems, could they be pointed out before I begin the filling process?

Thanks again,

Vale,
Dugit
Attachments
Picture_15.png
Picture_15.png (115.29 KiB) Viewed 2781 times

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 18:20

Dugit wrote:potential flow problems

Yeah, the urethra is in the wrong position.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.

L'howon
Somewhere outside the Citadel Of Antiquity

Post Jan 3rd '10, 18:26

Dugit wrote:Yes I did, because it seems my sniper ledge might provide some large advantage if I improved it. So I'm not going to improve it, and that is my own decision.

I meant the post before that :C

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jan 3rd '10, 18:33

Ugh. Very funny. [MFrown]

I've changed it. It looks better. Now, are there any potential flow problems?

Vale,
Dugit
Attachments
Picture_14.png
Picture_14.png (119.09 KiB) Viewed 2784 times

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 19:05

There will be way too many transparent lines, and the slowdown will make it unplayable for most people.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 3rd '10, 19:19

To the greatest view range, I would only hypothesize the view to cross at the most of forty lines. And anyway, Zircons of Zeal had a much longer view range with plenty more lines in view than here, and it played fine. Is forty still too much?
Last edited by Dugit on Jan 3rd '10, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 19:25

Granted, I don't know which parts of the map you're planning to actually fill, but it looks to me like you only have 5-10% of the lines that will be necessary to create polygons currently drawn out. Forty is probably too much, but I think it'll be way more than that, even. If most of that is going to be negative space, then you might be OK.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 3rd '10, 19:44

There will be plenty of negative space to divide it- the diagram is meant to be like map view when it's finished, illustrating height differences but not individual polygon borders. I'll put them in and fill it later.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 3rd '10, 21:25

I'll say no. I don't want anyone to have a huge advantage.

Why do I ever bother giving you advice if you immediately ignore it?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 3rd '10, 23:33

When you start to map like me, you get in huge trouble. put up a bunch of huge pillars in that open zone, and... everywhere. I assure you, it will lag.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Jan 4th '10, 01:24

I know what to do. Fill in EVERY line with textures. That way, you can't see past more than zero lines.

By the way, I played ZoZ. Liked it, but it was a bit messy, and I'm not sure that the underwater part was the best idea ever, but it seemed alright. Then again, I never actually played it online, so it might be totally amazing or totally awful, I wouldn't really know.

gmanyo

Post Jan 4th '10, 07:50

RyokoTK wrote:Why do I ever bother giving you advice if you immediately ignore it?

Sorry, I meant to say that I don't want anyone to have a good advantage from this sniper ledge, as it could have a good view of the level, so I'm not going to improve it.

Envy wrote:When you start to map like me, you get in huge trouble. put up a bunch of huge pillars in that open zone, and... everywhere. I assure you, it will lag.

They're not pillars. You'll see when I texture it; the diagram is hard to understand.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 4th '10, 09:35

Dugit wrote:Sorry, I meant to say that I don't want anyone to have a good advantage from this sniper ledge, as it could have a good view of the level, so I'm not going to improve it.

He means that he told you that it wouldn't give anyone much of an advantage due to the lack of long range weapons, and you keep saying that you don't want anyone to have an advantage even though he told you that it wouldn't. A view of the level probably wouldn't help much, either.

gmanyo

Post Jan 4th '10, 09:38

OK, as to get out of this loop (which I created), I will say: I will not improve it. End. Thankyou.

Vale,
Dugit
Last edited by Dugit on Jan 4th '10, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 5th '10, 19:04

How's... 1026 polygons? [MErr]

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jan 5th '10, 19:24

Dugit wrote:How's... 1026 polygons? [MErr]

For a net map!?

treellama
Pittsburgh

PreviousNext

Return to Mapping