Doom maps in marathon

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

I'm trying to convert doom e1m1 into a netmap and instead of using world units, I used step height. The maximum step height the player can cross in marathon is 0.333 and in doom is 24. If you multiply 24 by 14.208 and divide by 1024 it equals 0.333 (24 * 14.208 / 1024 = 0.333). Multiplying every doom vertex by 14.208 then rounding to nearest, I redrew the doom map in weland and added lines to make the polygons concave.
Attachments
e1m1doom.png
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

hey pretty nice to get this accuracy in a converted doom map!

I am wondering: did you come up with a script to extract the vertexes from the doom map or did you have to copy 'em all by hand?
Qweasy908
Cyborg

I had to copy the vertex numbers one at a time then those numbers went into a python 2 script to make the conversion go faster. I can copy objects, floors, ceilings and vertex numbers to welands point index location this way.
Bobwithkeycard
Mjolnir Mark IV

sounds good. Why'd you pick the maximum step height for the conversation, though? The specific value for the maximum step height seems like quite the arbitrary decision by the game designers. Wouldn't it lessen potential scaling errors by using the player height or maybe better yet the height the wall textures are being tiled at in doom?

It's pretty likely you already thought of the latter, though.

On a second note: need any help getting this stuff textured, lighted and all the other stuff set? Guess there's also very heavy legwork in setting all the polygon heights.
Qweasy908
Cyborg

I haven't found a better way to convert doom maps.
Lion O Cyborg
Cyborg

Crud, you beat me to it! :) I was going to make some copies of Episode 2's maps at some point after I learn the ropes of Weland/Forge, as they take place on Deimos. Granted, I was just going to draw each polygon manually, using a copy of the original map open in SLADE for reference.

I'd love to see more, including Doom 2 maps. Maybe even a complete Aleph One remake of Strife: Veteran Edition, if Aleph One and all editors get a huge update to support more features similar to those found in both GZ Doom and the build of the original Doom engine used by Strife.