bump mapping guide - wanted

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Feb 9th '10, 15:45

Do anyone here have the knowledge on how to create bump-map textures for alephone? If you do, would you please consider making a fool proof guide for scenario developers so they can use this new feature of Alephone? I, for one, want it. I've experiemented several times (and 10+ hours) with no or little success.
User avatar

goran

Post Feb 9th '10, 15:55

Goran wrote:Do anyone here have the knowledge on how to create bump-map textures for alephone? If you do, would you please consider making a fool proof guide for scenario developers so they can use this new feature of Alephone? I, for one, want it. I've experiemented several times (and 10+ hours) with no or little success.

It's actually really, really easy with Aorta http://pfhorums.com/index.php?showtopic=5222&st=0
Download that, draw a black and white image of what you want your bumps to look like from a flat-on perspective, the white part of the image will be the highest part (Hills), the dark parts will be the lowest (Valleys), you can use greys between them to smooth out the bumps.

When you've made your height map, use Aorta on it and it'll produce a normal (bump) map, which is purply in colour.

Download the bump map example and edit the code to remove all the hi res textures, but leave in the code for the bump maps, study it and how it works (Requires knowledge of shapes structure I believe) and then replace one of them with your own.

This is from memory so these instructions might be hard to follow. When i get home I'll write out clear ones as I go through the process myself.
User avatar

xilef

Post Feb 9th '10, 15:59

Goran wrote:Do anyone here have the knowledge on how to create bump-map textures for alephone? If you do, would you please consider making a fool proof guide for scenario developers so they can use this new feature of Alephone? I, for one, want it. I've experiemented several times (and 10+ hours) with no or little success.

Ok, so say this, is your base texture.
[attachment=3582:55.png]
In ps, to make the height map, all the low down areas should be a dark shade of grey and all the higher should be lighter, so in the cracks between the bricks, make it a dark grey, and make the faces of the bricks a lighter shade. Blur it all a bit, then save it.
Open up Aorta 2.1, and select the base image and the height map in the appropriate sections, then I believe aorta should be able to generate a normal map (which is your bump texture).
I can't go into too much detail not being able to run alephone 0.23, but i hope this helps (slightly!).

You can use that texture if you wish, I made it ages ago for sundown.. it's pretty crappy but tiles well!
Last edited by Fishman92 on Feb 9th '10, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
Fishman92

Post Feb 9th '10, 16:01

Xilef wrote:Download the bump map example and edit the code to remove all the hi res textures, but leave in the code for the bump maps, study it and how it works (Requires knowledge of shapes structure I believe) and then replace one of them with your own.

Or use Hopper's debug plugin:
http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=75886
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 9th '10, 16:03

Xilef wrote:It's actually really, really easy with Aorta http://pfhorums.com/index.php?showtopic=5222&st=0
Download that, draw a black and white image of what you want your bumps to look like from a flat-on perspective, the white part of the image will be the highest part (Hills), the dark parts will be the lowest (Valleys), you can use greys between them to smooth out the bumps.

When you've made your height map, use Aorta on it and it'll produce a normal (bump) map, which is purply in colour.

Download the bump map example and edit the code to remove all the hi res textures, but leave in the code for the bump maps, study it and how it works (Requires knowledge of shapes structure I believe) and then replace one of them with your own.

This is from memory so these instructions might be hard to follow. When i get home I'll write out clear ones as I go through the process myself.

Damn- you posted as i was posting!
Fishman92

Post Feb 9th '10, 16:22

Fishman92 wrote:Damn- you posted as i was posting!

I mastered the art of ninja posting.

Thanks for that link treellama, didn't know about that
User avatar

xilef

Post Feb 9th '10, 17:06

Xilef wrote:This is from memory so these instructions might be hard to follow. When i get home I'll write out clear ones as I go through the process myself.


You rock man. Looking forward to it.
User avatar

goran

Post Feb 9th '10, 17:07

Xilef wrote:This is from memory so these instructions might be hard to follow. When i get home I'll write out clear ones as I go through the process myself.

Consider adding them to the wiki?
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 9th '10, 23:15

Sorry, didn't have time to go through it all, I am waiting for a parcel with parts that I need to get my main PC running (The delivery man was lazy, decided not to bother delivering last-week Thursday, so wrote that my door is white and i have a closed door card, despite my door not being white and my ill mother not being able to leave the house except to take the trash out.)
User avatar

xilef

Post Feb 9th '10, 23:24

I'm on vista and Aorta shuts down when I save the texture using texture compression. If I don't use texture compression it works fine.
Last edited by goran on Feb 9th '10, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

goran

Post Feb 10th '10, 01:04

Sweet, I was able to get the bump mapping to work.

I didn't realize that you had to use two sets of textures, one for the normal, and the other for the base texture. IE, I thought Aorta would put them both together into one dds, but I was wrong.

After that, it was a matter of adding
offset_image="normalpathhere.dds"
to the mml script, and viola, instant novelty.

[attachment=3583:Waterloo...ark_0000.png]


On another note, I also have difficulty with Aorta crashing due to the texture compression option.
Attachments
WaterlooWaterpark_0000.png
WaterlooWaterpark_0000.png (425.33 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
User avatar

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 10th '10, 01:14

Does texture compression always crash or just when saving normal maps? I'll point out, you shouldn't use compression for normal maps anyway, the results aren't great.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 10th '10, 02:04

It crashes when using compression, regardless of what it is saving.

This has been around for a while, since it existed when I was saving dds files about half a year ago with Aorta. (Just thought it was my comp though)
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
User avatar

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 10th '10, 10:46

Sweet, I got it working. The height map need some finetuning, but otherwise I'm quite happy with the results.




Does texture compression always crash or just when saving normal maps? I'll point out, you shouldn't use compression for normal maps anyway, the results aren't great.


Good. I didn't know that. :)
About the compression. Same same. Always crash when I use it.
Last edited by goran on Feb 13th '10, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

goran

Post Feb 10th '10, 14:56

Goran wrote:-image-

Wow, that looks good.
Fishman92

Post Feb 10th '10, 15:48

I am curious. If bumpmaps can be used on enemies and how that would look as a result. However I think these look great for the wall textures.
Last edited by sgraff on Feb 10th '10, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

sgraff

Post Feb 10th '10, 16:05

sgraff wrote:I am curious. If bumpmaps can be used on enemies and how that would look as a result. However I think these look great for the wall textures.

Even if they can be used, it'll porbs only be on 3D model enemies, but still, it'd look awesome!
Fishman92

Post Feb 10th '10, 16:13

Goran wrote:About the compression. Same same. Always crash when I use it.

For some reason the SSE2 support in Squish doesn't work when compiled with the Windows cross-compiler I used. I disabled it, and uploaded a new version. Saving compressed files will be slow but at least it will work.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 10th '10, 20:24

If bumpmaps can be used on enemies and how that would look as a result.


I tested this briefly, and it appears that when replacing sprites, the engine ignores the normal and just treats it as a base texture replacement. I think that it works on 3D models though, there was a section in the mml guide that mentioned that.

Is there a way to modify the depth? I mean make the whites stick out much more than they do, and the blacks look even more depressed?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
User avatar

Zott
Earth

Post Feb 11th '10, 01:03

Treellama wrote:For some reason the SSE2 support in Squish doesn't work when compiled with the Windows cross-compiler I used. I disabled it, and uploaded a new version. Saving compressed files will be slow but at least it will work.


That was quick. Thank you for your work :)
User avatar

goran

Post Feb 11th '10, 02:05

Zott wrote:Is there a way to modify the depth? I mean make the whites stick out much more than they do, and the blacks look even more depressed?

You would need to modify the shader itself. Increasing the depth much more might make things look weird.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Feb 13th '10, 00:10

sgraff wrote:I am curious. If bumpmaps can be used on enemies and how that would look as a result.

2D sprites are always turned to face you, so there's no point to bump-mapping them -- you never look at them from different angles. (OK, technically you can see them from a slight vertical angle, but not enough to mention.)

As Zott mentioned, you can use bump-mapping on 3D models; the process is the same as walls (use a second "offset_image" for the texturing).

Zott wrote:Is there a way to modify the depth? I mean make the whites stick out much more than they do, and the blacks look even more depressed?

Download the default shaders plugin, and open "bump.frag" in a text editor. Look for the lines:

Code: Select all
float scale = 0.010;
float bias = -0.005;

Adjust as desired -- for instance, set scale to 0.040 and bias to -0.020 for a much deeper effect. Maintain the relationship between scale and bias, or things will get weird.

Note that the "stair-stepping" artifacts from the bump process will get worse as you increase this depth, as will the loss of depth as you stand parallel to a wall looking down it. So, think carefully before cranking up the depth.
Last edited by Hopper on Feb 13th '10, 00:12, edited 1 time in total.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more
User avatar

Hopper


Return to Mapping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users