Weight of the World

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jun 24th '10, 03:16

This is my first netmap. The name of the map I came up with is influenced by the song name from Evanescence. The thank you's are in the read me. Any feedback is appreciated! Here is the link:

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/weight-of-the-world

Thank you!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jun 24th '10, 04:51

I haven't played the map online, but I'll give you my thoughts after running through it solo.

The first thing I noticed is that the lighting in the main area is pretty much non existent, and the texturing needs a lot of work. The light up stairs could be a nice detail, I guess, but flashing between 100% and 0% intensity is a bit extreme, maybe limit it to 0% and 50%. There were a couple areas where you did well with the lighting, namely the darker ally with the teleporter.

There really isn't any need for pistols in this map, or most netmaps. It seemed like there was probably enough ammo, but I can't say without playing it.

I'm assuming the dead end with the shotguns beside a staircase was intentional, but it hurts the flow a lot. I wouldn't recommend adding any dead ends, no matter what "reward" they carry, and there are a couple in this map.

My favourite room by far was the one with several lights in the ceiling, I actually thought it looked nice and showed a lot more care than some of the larger areas. As far as the design of the map goes, it was better than a lot of first maps I've seen but nothing special. It at least had a definite central area, but for the most part the surrounding areas and ledges didn't really add anything to the map.

It's always nice to see a new mapper, hopefully you keep with it.

$lave

Post Jun 26th '10, 19:07

Thank you for your input and help, $lave!

Replying to Dugit's question on Simplici7y, I put a fusion pistol at the top of the stairs because I think it looks good. I put a fusion pistol on the hill because I wanted a weapon in the center. I didn't want a powerful weapon there for King of the Hill, so I went with that. I put the fusion pistol and the magnum on my map because I like all the weapons in Marathon, even though some of them might not be as powerful as others.

brilliant

Post Jun 26th '10, 19:20

Add some TOZTs please

ray

Post Jun 26th '10, 19:45

ray wrote:Add some TOZTs please

I already have one placed on the map, with a minimum count of two.

brilliant

Post Jul 18th '10, 15:00

brilliant wrote:This is my first netmap. The name of the map I came up with is influenced by the song name from Evanescence. The thank you's are in the read me. Any feedback is appreciated! Here is the link:

http://www.simplici7y.com/items/weight-of-the-world

Thank you!

I'd like to offer an "Extended" or "Revised" or "Version 1.1" to your map since I just happen to think it's a great start.

You'll need to tell me what you think of that before I would revise your work. The only thing I'd like to change for credits is adding some monkd vectors at the bottom in weland...
monkd

Post Jul 19th '10, 05:23

monkd wrote:I'd like to offer an "Extended" or "Revised" or "Version 1.1" to your map since I just happen to think it's a great start.

You'll need to tell me what you think of that before I would revise your work. The only thing I'd like to change for credits is adding some monkd vectors at the bottom in weland...

Sorry, but no thanks.

brilliant

Post Jul 26th '10, 18:31

I have updated my map! It is mostly improvements on looks. Here is the list of changes in 1.1:

added platforms near shotguns
added an smg close to a player's starting position on the high ledge
added shading
changed stair lighting from 100% to 0% to 100% to 50%
added some more ammo
changed speeds of platforms
changed a teleport destination
fixed a wall that had the wrong blue texture
added new texture to higher level hallway

Enjoy! :)

brilliant