*Sniff sniff...* My first map... *Sniff sniff*

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jul 3rd '10, 10:29

Drictelt wrote:For a first map, I think this looks really good though. Ten times better than mine anyway.

Yeah, but I already do have mapping experience. The main problem though is that with Weland, I don't have the same luxuries that Doom Builder had, I.E. I could map, texture, View the map in 3D mode, And play test the map with only a few mouse-clicks, With Weland you have to use Aleph one and Visual Lua along with it, and it gets very cumbersome and time consuming. In short, it's gonna take me awhile to get used to Weland.

@Dugit

I Might try making a net-map, but I don't see much point into it because I've never used the multiplayer in Aleph one.
Miak
California

Post Jul 3rd '10, 19:11

Miak wrote:I Might try making a net-map, but I don't see much point into it because I've never used the multiplayer in Aleph one.

You should try multiplayer sometime, its really fun!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jul 3rd '10, 20:46

Miak wrote:I agree, but you don't have to be so blunt about it.

I expect the same bluntness when I finally make a map.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Jul 4th '10, 04:31

brilliant wrote:You should try multiplayer sometime, its really fun!
He's right!...except for the whole rehab thing.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 4th '10, 04:39

Ares Ex Machina wrote:He's right!...except for the whole rehab thing.

..huh?

Well anyway, I tried Multiplayer with Infinity, and it says something about Mariusnet. Care explaining?
Miak
California

Post Jul 4th '10, 06:13

Miak wrote:..huh?
In other words, it's fun enough to make a junkie out of you.

Miak wrote:Well anyway, I tried Multiplayer with Infinity, and it says something about Mariusnet. Care explaining?
Mariusnet is the server that provides the meeting area (called Arrival) where players can connect to play network games. It's where you join a game (or advertise one if you're hosting). You'll automatically connect to it by clicking Find Internet Game (or by selecting Advertise Game on Internet if you're hosting).

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 4th '10, 07:20

Ares Ex Machina wrote:Mariusnet is the server that provides the meeting area (called Arrival) where players can connect to play network games. It's where you join a game (or advertise one if you're hosting). You'll automatically connect to it by clicking Find Internet Game (or by selecting Advertise Game on Internet if you're hosting).

So, in short, it's a fan made server in replacement of the original bungie server that was closed down?
Miak
California

Post Jul 4th '10, 07:42

There was a Bungie server?
I thought people just plugged into each other's computers via ethernet?
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Jul 4th '10, 07:43

Dugit wrote:There was a Bungie server?

Oh yeah, forgot Infinity was released in 1996, before actual Multiplayer emerged.
Miak
California

Post Jul 4th '10, 08:08

Dugit wrote:There was a Bungie server?
He might be referring to Bungie.net, but I don't think it ever supported the Marathon series. Aside from ethernet games, direct modem to modem play was also possible with Marathon, but no more than two players could participate, and only dial up was supported. Those were the Dark Ages.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Jul 29th '10, 12:06

Hey Miak heres a tip from a noob mapper: try to differentiate texture. No one wants to see all brown wallls.
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Jul 29th '10, 12:09

Drictelt wrote:For a first map, I think this looks really good though. Ten times better than mine anyway.

So what maps have you made? I would be interested in playing them if there are any.
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Jul 29th '10, 15:27

Everything in my sig contains at least 1 map by me ('cept Phoenix, where I did some image work). KTA III (Guns of Avalon), Winter I (Seven Times Unlocked) and Victory Dance IV (Shelob <some number>) are probably the better maps.

I don't claim to be a very good mapper, but at times I give advice nontheless, because I guess it can help new mappers to climb to my level at least...
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Aug 9th '10, 02:27

Miak wrote:

:)

The link to the picture is broken. Where do I find the map?
monkd

Post Aug 9th '10, 19:10

Seven Times Unlocked is by far one of my favorite maps, other then the M1 platform puzzle. Wound up using the jump cheat after a while.
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Aug 11th '10, 03:03

W wrote:Protip: Do better in the future.

Protip, be nicer.

Your problem here is mainly the texturing, which I can understand, because it gets a lot of mappers, Just be a bit more varied with your texture tiles.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Aug 11th '10, 12:36

Last edited by treellama on Aug 11th '10, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 11th '10, 20:47

Treellama wrote:pic

Haha Treellama, nice.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Aug 12th '10, 21:32

Windbreaker wrote:[attachment=4092:1281520314563.jpg]

lol
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver