Landscape + Liquid + Fog = ?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Aug 19th '10, 07:14

Messing around, I decided to make a floor with water texture set to landscape mode, and placed water .001 WU above it. This looks good in the new renderer.

Then, I decided to add black fog, disabled "affects landscapes", and set the depth to 10. The result, is this:

[attachment=4132:Screen_s...10.42_AM.png]

Has anyone else done this? Try it out sometime, it's fun.
Attachments
Screen_shot_2010_08_19_at_3.10.42_AM.png
Screen_shot_2010_08_19_at_3.10.42_AM.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1164 times
Kurinn

Post Aug 19th '10, 07:55

$lave did use the "water texture as landscape with water a boev" to create a sort of "ice" effect in some of his maps. it looks good tohugh i think you took it a step further with this.
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Aug 19th '10, 12:18

give the water some bloom [MSmile]

goran

Post Aug 19th '10, 13:32

Maybe if you used a solid color for the underwater landscape, or something with very subtle variations. As it is, the veins of the water texture get enlarged quite a bit.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Aug 19th '10, 15:12

We did use a near-black fog that didn't affect landscapes for one of our night levels in EMR. I've wanted to try using landscape mode to fake reflection for a glass window for a long time, but I never got around to trying it. As I recall, someone said there would be issues.
Last edited by Crater Creator on Aug 19th '10, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 19th '10, 17:30

Crater Creator wrote:We did use a near-black fog that didn't affect landscapes for one of our night levels in EMR. I've wanted to try using landscape mode to fake reflection for a glass window for a long time, but I never got around to trying it. As I recall, someone said there would be issues.

I did use it for fake glass reflection in one of my MPDX concepts. Not sure if there's still a screenshot in the thread, but you might take a peek. Looked pretty good if I recall. I used a custom texture for that, being basically a black and white blurry noise at 1024x1024, very low levels of detail. A flat texture wouldn't look as realistic, being that all windows have some surface distortion which makes a wavy pattern make sense. As Treellama suggested, it did look better than using the water texture, but in this case I was just messing around with what textures were already available. I do notice that with larger polygons (> 25WU^2, perhaps) it gives some problems with rendering, where it can render the liquid, but not the underlying landscape texture on some polygons depending on the view. Not a surprise, since it was never intended to do so, or certainly not at such scale, but something to think about when using this technique.

Edit:

Found the screenshots from MPDX:

[attachment=4135:wow.png]

[attachment=4136:Screen_s...03.40_PM.png]
Attachments
Screen_shot_2010_03_07_at_7.03.40_PM.png
Screen_shot_2010_03_07_at_7.03.40_PM.png (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1147 times
wow.png
wow.png (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1148 times
Last edited by Kurinn on Aug 19th '10, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn

Post Aug 19th '10, 23:42

Oh yes, I remember that. Have you ever tried a glass window between two rooms, so you can see through into the other room? That's the case I have in mind, and the one I vaguely remember would be problematic (but I can't remember why).
Last edited by Crater Creator on Aug 19th '10, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.

Crater Creator

Post Aug 20th '10, 00:33

Crater Creator wrote:Oh yes, I remember that. Have you ever tried a glass window between two rooms, so you can see through into the other room? That's the case I have in mind, and the one I vaguely remember would be problematic (but I can't remember why).

I never tried, but I always assumed that landscape mode doesn't support transparency. It wouldn't make sense for it to, being that usually there is nothing behind a landscape. It would be interesting to see what would happen if it could, being that you could then do layered landscapes as well as faux-glare.

Edit:

Just tried it, and it doesn't support transparency. Still, just using a vaguely opaque flat or blurry texture looks good for windows, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by Kurinn on Aug 20th '10, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kurinn

Return to Mapping