New Caustic Dystopia

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Sep 2nd '10, 18:18

Edit: typo.

Nothing wrote:So is this your official nitpicking thread, or is it Wind's New Maps thread?
It has clearly become a thread about Nothing.

Nothing wrote:Perhaps I misrepresented you by calling your philosophies rules, but nevertheless the ideas were put out there and begged response. I responded to these ideas.
I don't have a problem with you responding to ideas or voicing you opinion. I have a huge problem with you taking what I said and twisting it to mean something I would never say, which you have done numerous times in the span of 24 hours. I also have a problem with you completely ignoring important points I have made, and instead creating new arguments.

Nothing wrote:Since all 8 of your retextured examples added lights to passageways and removed lights or strong contrasts from surrounding structures, I could only assume that herein were the nitpicks with which you were expressing your overall map-making philosophies.
You can't just look at the pictures. You have to read what I wrote if you want to understand my critique; clearly you don't. As for making assumptions, don't. Because it turns out you are wrong: those nicpicks did not express my overall map-maping philosophies. They represented one small fraction of my philosophies. The difference in meaning is huge.

Nothing wrote:My post was a response to both the nitpicks and the overall ideas, questioning why you were being tricked where others were not
Stop playing innocent. You threw in a lot of other garbage.

Nothing wrote:Overall, I found you to be nitpicking "a good map only for the sake of discussing map-making philosophies," and I posted mainly to challenge your use of a long post with distracting screenshots meant to trick the reader into thinking a passageway of constructive criticism existed where in fact there was only a wall textured with bright lights.
So now you're saying my critque was a ruse? That it was all part of my plan to trick and distract the reader? With every word you write, you make yourself sound more ridiculous.

Nothing wrote:Maybe we are just using different definitions of difficult-to-solve, tricked, dissatisfaction, etc., which Ares uses to describe Wind's maps?
You seem not to have noticed that I have described them as good maps that I enjoy playing. All good maps have faults. Pointing out the faults is what I did, for the sake of hoping to improve them, for the sake of discussing map-making philosophies, and for the sake of reporting to the map-maker what I would want reported to me if I were him. Furthermore, "difficult-to-solve" is your description, not mine.

Nothing wrote:My original post was neither chastising nor scalding nor given in bad spirit
I guess slander must be in good spirit.
Last edited by Ares Ex Machina on Sep 3rd '10, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Sep 3rd '10, 04:18

Dugit wrote:I do admit that it is a small and nearly insignificant change, but a change nonetheless. Sure it can be pointed out, but shall we all entertain the possibility that Windbreaker might have his own opinions?

Maybe you ought to re-read what I wrote and to what I responded.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 19th '10, 11:31

Windbreaker wrote:Caustic Dystopia is now up at Simplicity and Fileball! Get it here: http://www.simplici7y.com/items/caustic-dystopia

Contains six maps, including the ones posted in this thread. Enjoy!

Try to stay on-topic, please.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 22nd '10, 20:45

The architecture in Caustic Dystopia is very impressive and the maps are all technically proficient; it's great to see maps made of this caliber, and I certainly hope that you keep making them.

The one thing that seemed to bug me about the layout of the maps is that there are so many blind corners and little twisty passages that it seems like having a protracted battle is impossible; every space has so many escape routes where one can flee and then set up an ambush for any pursuers. It feels like every encounter, you have to kill the enemy on the spot or you miss out entirely and you have to try to ambush them again some time later. And every level seems to have this over-elaborate network of tunnels and corridors, so it's difficult to figure out where people are going.

But they're still very nice.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 23rd '10, 00:53

I've been playing these maps a little bit. They are good, but something isn't quite right. I think Ryoko may have just hit the nail on the head, but I'll have to play them more to be sure. Also, there is a glitch happening with an elevator in Before These Crowded Streets. Here's a film demonstrating the glitch:
[attachment=4288:CD___BTC...r_glitch.zip]
Notice how I get caught on the elevator, unable to move forward until it goes back down.
Attachments
CD___BTC_Streets___elevator_glitch.zip
(1.14 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

Ares Ex Machina

Post Sep 23rd '10, 04:48

Ares Ex Machina wrote:I've been playing these maps a little bit. They are good, but something isn't quite right. I think Ryoko may have just hit the nail on the head, but I'll have to play them more to be sure. Also, there is a glitch happening with an elevator in Before These Crowded Streets. Here's a film demonstrating the glitch:
[attachment=4288:CD___BTC...r_glitch.zip]
Notice how I get caught on the elevator, unable to move forward until it goes back down.

Yes, this has happened to me before when I was playing around with Weland. What causes this?
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Oct 2nd '10, 03:13

RyokoTK wrote:there are so many blind corners and little twisty passages that it seems like having a protracted battle is impossible; every space has so many escape routes where one can flee and then set up an ambush for any pursuers. It feels like every encounter, you have to kill the enemy on the spot or you miss out entirely and you have to try to ambush them again some time later. And every level seems to have this over-elaborate network of tunnels and corridors, so it's difficult to figure out where people are going.

Sheeeeit, these are the very reasons I adore these maps.. well, particularly Preemptive Strike. ...Streets is too small and square -- I get smoked before I know someone's there far too often. But in PS I can flee and return to fight another day, slowly pick picking my opponent apart.

Which was something Power Drive enabled me to do before the bloody minicans... but that's a whine for another thread.

And I'd like to say:

Ares, thanks for the effort to answer my question. I see what you're saying but I disagree with the need for many of those changes.

Nothing: Tree can be a real jerk (and he proved it by ignoring your repeated efforts to answer their complaints) but he was right that your initial entry (re replayability) was.. vacuous. Or at least, poorly phrased. But I applaud your attempt to take a deep breath and keep trying.

Wind: thanks for returning to mapping. Now, about my request that SOMEONE rework Cranch Wire Sunday (especially Caught Between Pain and Desire)...
gyffes

Post Jul 13th '11, 16:30

thanks a ton btw frog u seem to be working hard and other than the lag the server is awesome right now especially with the new maps
Pneubbece

Post Aug 21st '11, 01:10

I started mapping again this summer, and so far I've made three new maps. I'm aiming to update Caustic Dystopia pretty soon... but for now, I'll post one of the maps for download, and screens of the other two.

Drillbit

After an accident, a Jjaro mining drill is abandoned in the center of an ancient, buried s'pht city.

This is a smaller map; good for dueling, but it also works well with three to four players. You can download this one below.
[attachment=5156:Drillbit.sceA.zip]
Attachments
Drillbit.sceA.zip
(83.91 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 21st '11, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Aug 21st '11, 01:23

<< Download Drillbit in the last post

The Last Outpost

A communications/research outpost on the edge of the Lh'owon desert, far from civilization.
This is a pretty big map. I would recommend six to eight players.

Back to Basom

A Jjaro station. Or something.
Another smaller map. I just finished this one, so I haven't tested it as much, but I would recommend around three to four players.
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 21st '11, 01:28, edited 1 time in total.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Aug 21st '11, 21:07

Windbreaker wrote: << Download Drillbit in the last post

The Last Outpost

A communications/research outpost on the edge of the Lh'owon desert, far from civilization.
This is a pretty big map. I would recommend six to eight players.

Back to Basom

A Jjaro station. Or something.
Another smaller map. I just finished this one, so I haven't tested it as much, but I would recommend around three to four players.

i'm really loving 'the last outpost', though its detail is a bit lagging on my computer. and the jjaro station is quite alright also, though i do feel an imbalnce in weapons when i played this map (i think).

overall pretty darn good...
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Aug 22nd '11, 21:35

Nice work, Wind! I like The Last Outpost and Back to Basom quite a bit better than the maps from Caustic Dystopia. I also think your texturing has improved in general. Things seem to be more coherent and less messy from a visual standpoint. Not quite as clear as I prefer, but at this point I think the difference is aesthetic preference as opposed to something that significantly affects gameplay.

I think the complexity of the architecture could still be simplified a little in some places to streamline the flow, both from a visual standpoint (personal preference) and in terms of gameplay. I found myself having to make my way around small unimportant architectural extremities more often than I'm used to. Not a huge deal, but curving them or straightening them (depending on the circumstance) would make the maps just a touch better. As for the decorative stuff, my opinion about complicated architecture in general is that it serves little to no purpose in netmaps. In single player, you can pause and admire. In multiplayer, anything overly complicated just becomes noise.

And from what it seems, complicated architecture can actually hurt gameplay: player sprites disappearing, rocket explosions causing no damage, and not being able to respawn are things I've only experienced in maps with complicated architecture and/or a high number of polygons in one area.

But these new maps are good, as is to be expected from you. So take this feedback as ways to make good maps better, not map bashing! If you want, look at it as constructive nitpicking.

Ares Ex Machina

Post Aug 25th '11, 04:56

Ares Ex Machina wrote:But these new maps are good, as is to be expected from you. So take this feedback as ways to make good maps better, not map bashing! If you want, look at it as constructive nitpicking.

Thanks for the input, Ares. Good advice. When I was making Drillbit and Back to Basom, I was, in fact, thinking about streamlining architecture a bit to smooth flow, and to use less light textures. Glad you like it! I'm making one more map, then I'm going to update Caustic Dystopia.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Oct 24th '11, 06:41

I've been pretty busy lately, but this weekend I had some time/inspiration to finish this map I started working on a little while ago. Thought I'd show a preview of what's in progress:

Ii'll upload it once it's done in the next day or two. Stay active Pfhorums!
Last edited by Windbreaker on Oct 24th '11, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Oct 25th '11, 15:38

So...were you on a time out when you took that screenshot?

Ares Ex Machina

Post Oct 26th '11, 02:47

*Posts pic of a corner in Back to Basom*

"New map gais!"
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Oct 26th '11, 05:58

Version 1.1 of Caustic Dystopia is now up on S7!

Here's the changes made since 1.0:
-Adds four new maps.
-Untextured sides fixed in three original maps
-KTMWTB now works on Big Map
-Some weapon placement/shading changes in original maps

I hope to make future maps at a quicker rate than four a year, so hopefully I'll start updating Caustic Dystopia more often.

Enjoy!

Dis wrote:*Posts pic of a corner in Back to Basom*

Nope.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Post Aug 18th '12, 00:46

Happy Pussy Riot Day!

I just posted an update of Caustic Dystopia over at Simplici7y. v1.3 includes 8 brand new maps made over the course of the last two and a half months. Caustic Dystopia now has 22 maps (omg). I'll post a more extensive update later as I'm in a bit of a hurry, but for now, download the new version here:

Caustic Dystopia v1.3 -- 22 netmaps

As always, feedback is appreciated. Enjoy!
Last edited by Windbreaker on Aug 18th '12, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

Previous

Return to Mapping