BoBsBrother's Questions Thread

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Sep 21st '10, 12:04

This is a thread for BoBsBrother to use for all of his mapping-related questions. This way, they are consolidated in one place for his and our convenience.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Sep 21st '10, 16:02

whoa deja vu
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Sep 21st '10, 16:23

Haha, good idea irons!
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Sep 21st '10, 21:15

Uh....... Ok. Sorry?

BoBsBrother
Kearney, Nebraska

Post Sep 24th '10, 17:11

Don't sweat it, BoBsBrother. Irons, having been here since a Jjarro crashed into the Yucatan, likes to poke fun at the pattern of new mappers showing up, full of the same types of questions. I don't blame you; Aleph One documentation isn't organized as well as it should be, and searching the forums is hard when you don't know the terminology.

If you keep at it, you'll build your skills soon enough, you'll learn how to find answers to the easy questions, and when you've got a more interesting problem that won't bore old-timers like Irons. Until then, people who are interested in helping will still see you here. If you ever get frustrated or stuck working on something, go ahead and share what you're working on here, and you can get help or tips. (Just be clear what you're asking for, else you'll get a brutally honest critique as if it were a finished work.)
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Sep 24th '10, 17:27

Hopper wrote:since a Jjarro crashed into the Yucatan

That never happened.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 24th '10, 18:08

Hopper wrote:Don't sweat it, BoBsBrother. Irons, having been here since a Jjarro crashed into the Yucatan, likes to poke fun at the pattern of new mappers showing up, full of the same types of questions.

It isn't the asking of questions that is tiring, but rather the sprinkling of them throughout VNP, like shotgun pellets. I'm usually in favor of meaningful thread topics, but I must admit as a fellow old-timer it's nice to be able look at a "bunch of questions from newbie x" thread and think, "Not today," and just go on to the next thread. We still try to help, when we have the energy.
Last edited by treellama on Sep 24th '10, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 24th '10, 18:13

irons wrote:This is a thread for BoBsBrother to use for all of his mapping-related questions. This way, they are consolidated in one place for his and our convenience.

I wish he'd actually make use of this (I was going to say 'magnanimous' :)) useful resource.
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Sep 24th '10, 21:14

Treellama wrote:It isn't the asking of questions that is tiring, but rather the sprinkling of them throughout VNP, like shotgun pellets.

I understand; classifying this thread as "poking fun" was a poor decision. Maybe this should become an "official" policy -- add a sticky that says new mappers should make their own personal thread? That seems to work best, but one only figures that out after being here for a while. It's easy for me to say, having answered approximately zero new-mapper questions, but it'd be nice to have a place for that without being frustrating for either side.

If you're unused to the tone of the Pfhorums, the initial post can be misconstrued as "don't bother us, we want to ignore you" instead of "please don't spam the general conversation." While BoBsBrother hasn't started any new question threads, he hasn't asked any more questions at all. In case he got the wrong impression that the asking was indeed the tiring part, I thought a bit of magnanimityfriendliness could straighten things out.
Aleph One:  Download 1.2.1         Plugins:  Vasara  ·  more

Hopper

Post Sep 24th '10, 22:06

Hopper wrote:I understand; classifying this thread as "poking fun" was a poor decision. Maybe this should become an "official" policy -- add a sticky that says new mappers should make their own personal thread? That seems to work best, but one only figures that out after being here for a while. It's easy for me to say, having answered approximately zero new-mapper questions, but it'd be nice to have a place for that without being frustrating for either side.

Another idea could be a pinned topic, with an appropriate title, for posting any questions related to mapping.

brilliant

Post Sep 27th '10, 21:50

The thing is, right now, I don't have any questions. But here is a map I made. Please review, critique, criticize, etc. I hope it will catch. :)[attachment=4304:Put_a_Ri..._it.sceA.zip]
Attachments
Put_a_Ring_on_it.sceA.zip
(34 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

BoBsBrother
Kearney, Nebraska

Post Sep 27th '10, 23:03

BoBsBrother wrote:The thing is, right now, I don't have any questions. But here is a map I made. Please review, critique, criticize, etc. I hope it will catch. :)

This map could definitely use some different shades of lighting. I could not find any lighting other than light 0. I'm not sure about weapon and ammo placement. It's nice that different kinds of ammo was placed throughout the map, but it might be nice to have some ammo near the walls on the stairs as well, instead of just in the center of the stairs. There was one untextured spot I found underwater, and there are a couple of places underwater that I can't get out of. I don't know what this map is like in multiplayer. Did you name it after the Beyonce song?
Last edited by brilliant on Sep 27th '10, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

brilliant

Post Sep 28th '10, 01:53

Ok, well I guess it was just a quick "piece together" map. I will change the lighting then. Should I do it in vml or actually in weland? Also the weapons; should I move the current ones to the wall, or add more? And about the can't get out of spot; I think I will make a tunnel underneath that goes into the other pit with the elevators. Where was the untextured spot?
And, I kind of named it after that song, but mainly because the whole map looks a giant diamond ring.... if you think about it..... :D P.S. Sorry about all the run-together questions. :/

BoBsBrother
Kearney, Nebraska

Post Sep 28th '10, 03:03

I hate to sound harsh, but maybe instead of making "peace together maps" you could at least try to make your products look professional before uploading them for critique. It would save us having to point out obvious flaws you could have fixed yourself without our input and maybe save you some dignity in the process.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Sep 28th '10, 03:47

Don't be afraid to let loose your feelings on me. I need the advise. I don't know if you got the wrong idea, but my whole point of "piece together" map was to even see if the idea was good, whereas if no one liked the map layout, I wouldn't have any fixing to do. In otherwords, just a basic idea.

BoBsBrother
Kearney, Nebraska

Post Sep 28th '10, 17:03

words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Sep 28th '10, 21:34

Seriously, this should be required reading for this site.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post Sep 29th '10, 01:38

BoBsBrother wrote:Don't be afraid to let loose your feelings on me. I need the advise. I don't know if you got the wrong idea, but my whole point of "piece together" map was to even see if the idea was good, whereas if no one liked the map layout, I wouldn't have any fixing to do. In otherwords, just a basic idea.

The idea is sound. While you're right to test an idea before bringing it to completion, in this case you have an idea that should work assuming you're willing to address deficiencies.

Two such deficiencies stand out to me. First, you have suicide pits: you can't escape from 4 of the 8 sewage pits other than by committing suicide. On a list of things people don't want to see in a netmap, suicide pits are at the top.

Secondly, your map is littered, littered with guns and ammo. I can wander in just about any direction and have a full arsenal in seconds. Weapons and ammunition are a key way to direct the flow of your map, but you can't entice someone with a gold coin when the streets are already paved in gold. Why should I go to the bottom of the staircase? Maybe because that's where I can get a missile launcher. How can I gain an advantage against this good player? Well, he loves his dual shotguns, so I'll control the area where shotguns spawn and wait for him. Your map and its item placement should foster this kind of exploration and decision making.

Crater Creator

Post Sep 29th '10, 01:43

Ah, okay. Thanks for the advice! I will work on the flaws, and get a later version for testing out soon. Again, should I change the lighting in vml or I weland?

BoBsBrother
Kearney, Nebraska

Post Sep 29th '10, 01:55

Crater Creator wrote:Secondly, your map is littered, littered with guns and ammo. I can wander in just about any direction and have a full arsenal in seconds. Weapons and ammunition are a key way to direct the flow of your map, but you can't entice someone with a gold coin when the streets are already paved in gold. Why should I go to the bottom of the staircase? Maybe because that's where I can get a missile launcher. How can I gain an advantage against this good player? Well, he loves his dual shotguns, so I'll control the area where shotguns spawn and wait for him. Your map and its item placement should foster this kind of exploration and decision making.

You are frankly among the least qualified people to give out netmap advice I can think of in the community.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 29th '10, 01:55

Crater Creator wrote:How can I gain an advantage against this good player? Well, he loves his dual shotguns, so I'll control the area where shotguns spawn and wait for him.

Don't take tertor's advice too seriously, especially this sentence. He doesn't actually play multiplayer games and this advice is awful. Spread out your weapons so people can't just camp certain areas.

Wrkncacnter

Post Sep 29th '10, 02:02

RyokoTK wrote:You are frankly among the least qualified people to give out netmap advice I can think of in the community.

It might be bad advice in general, but have you seen the map under discussion? He's not wrong about it being littered with items.
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 29th '10, 02:38

Treellama wrote:No.

This is understandable that it is bad because of what Wrk said, camping, but I also thought it was okay to put, for example, a SPNKR in a hard to reach spot, as a reward. Also, isn't this kind of considered balance? Are there any other reasons why this is bad?

brilliant

Post Sep 29th '10, 02:40

Tim wrote:It might be bad advice in general, but have you seen the map under discussion? He's not wrong about it being littered with items.

It is really not much worse in that regard than most maps nowadays.

Weapons would dictate the flow in a normal game, but the weapon balance in Marathon is so poor that the only way to have even gameplay is generally to make the power weapons very easily available.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Sep 29th '10, 03:00

[attachment=4316:PutaRingonit_0004.jpg]
There is certainly a balance to be reached here. Right now, I feel like I'm wading through a homogeneous mash of items. Some weapons are better than others: some inherently so, and some in specific circumstances. A mapmaker going for this style of map, with different kinds of areas and a fair amount of traveling to do, should place his or her items with this fact in mind.
Attachments
PutaRingonit_0004.jpg
PutaRingonit_0004.jpg (346.04 KiB) Viewed 3341 times

Crater Creator

Next

Return to Mapping