SaladGoat's First Map

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Sep 23rd '10, 00:16

I've been working for awhile on a small (unambitious) netmap using the lava texture set. The only issue I have with it is that ever since I got a new router, I haven't been able to host, even though the port forwarding seems fine. I've spent hours trying many things; lowering my firewall, getting a static ip, trying wired and wireless connections, and reading several tutorials. Anyway, this means I haven't been able to test it on the meta to get anybody's opinion first. So I don't really know how it plays yet, and therefore, it's probably not as polished as I would like it to be before I post it on the Pfhorums. I know many of the mappers on the forum could probably get a good idea of what I need to work on just by looking at it in single player. If you happen to download the map, and you see me on the meta sometime, I would really appreciate it if you hosted it so we could test it out. [MGrin]

Looking it over in single player myself, it occurred to me that because it's so small, it would either be completely hectic or completely unplayable...

I envision my first project to be a small netpack (around 8 levels). If it includes this map at all, it would be a much more polished (and probably expanded) version of this level.

EDIT: Deleted early version of the level.
Last edited by salad on Sep 23rd '10, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
*Insert lazy "Insert blank here" joke here*

salad
Michigain, US

Post Sep 23rd '10, 00:42

Next time, try asking people if they'll host your map when you're on the meta.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Sep 23rd '10, 02:46

You show a lot of promise here. For a first map, you've got most of the fundamentals down. I suggest running through your map from the perspective of a player who's chasing someone or being chased. Stop periodically and ask yourself if you can see the next place to go without having to stop and look around. This approach should help you quite literally smooth out the rough spots. I also recommend playing your map without replacement textures. I played it with the TTEP, and I have to say the texturing looked ugly. Playing with unenhanced textures looked better with the exception of the one water texture you snuck in there, which looks out of place. Lastly, I suggest getting the broad shape of the map right before adding fine aesthetic details to the floor and ceiling. The way your details are laid out leads me to believe you may work the other way around, and this can lead to more re-work being needed when things just don't line up.

Crater Creator

Post Sep 23rd '10, 08:29

Add more player starting locations and weapons/ammo to this map. Right now, there's no ammo/Weapons, and only one starting location.

goran

Post Sep 23rd '10, 12:55

Next time, try asking people if they'll host your map when you're on the meta.
In retrospect, that's probably what I should have done.

I played it with the TTEP, and I have to say the texturing looked ugly.

I made it with the original textures and Goran's lava set in mind, and I completely forgot TTEP. Should I retexture it to make it more TTEP friendly, or is it their fault for using TTEP in the first place?

Playing with unenhanced textures looked better with the exception of the one water texture you snuck in there, which looks out of place.
Water texture? After I read this, I looked all around my map for a water texture and couldn't find it. If there is a water texture, it's an untextured spot or an accident. Using multiple texture sets in one map seems to open a whole new can of worms that I don't want tho mess with this early on. Where did you see this texture?

Lastly, I suggest getting the broad shape of the map right before adding fine aesthetic details to the floor and ceiling. The way your details are laid out leads me to believe you may work the other way around, and this can lead to more re-work being needed when things just don't line up.

Yes, planning and foresight are definitely something I plan to focus on more now that I have a handle on how the tools work, instead of just starting with one room and then "winging it".

Add more player starting locations and weapons/ammo to this map. Right now, there's no ammo/Weapons, and only one starting location.

Oh my gosh guys, I am really sorry about this. The map I uploaded was an earlier version of the level that had the architecture mainly done, but was far from finished texturing. It also didn't have any other spawns or weapons, like Goran said. I'm leaving what I said above in case it still applies to the newer version. I'm not used to zipping files, and obviously, my computer is unorganized. Here is the prettier and more finished version of the level. This is what I originally intended to post.
Attachments
Dog_Eat_Dog.zip
(23.17 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

salad
Michigain, US

Post Sep 26th '10, 07:31

All right, well, forget what I said about the texturing then; I think it's fine. It's probably a little dark for my tastes for a netmap. I'd make the lava squares silent platforms. For that matter, I'd also extend that area a bit and add a window. The bright shapes on the red ceiling are kind of random. I don't like how if you're on the ground in the big round room, all three exits are together at the south. For your next map, I would work on more height variation and more windows. Again, this map is encouraging because a lot of the fundamentals, like general flow and highlighting important things, are already in place.

Crater Creator

Post Sep 26th '10, 14:00

Okay, thanks Crater, this has been encouraging. Your advice has given me a lot of ideas, and over the next couple weeks I think I'll be working on new maps after I refine this one.

salad
Michigain, US

Post Sep 29th '10, 23:47

SaladGoat wrote:Okay, thanks Crater, this has been encouraging. Your advice has given me a lot of ideas, and over the next couple weeks I think I'll be working on new maps after I refine this one.

Nice job. It's much better than my first map, anyways, The lava on the floor was a good idea, too. However, I've yet to try it Online.

TectonInd

Post Sep 30th '10, 00:02

However, I've yet to try it Online.
I have yet to play it online either, after my schedule is a little less hectic, I'll have more time to focus on computer stuff.

Nice job. It's much better than my first map, anyways, The lava on the floor was a good idea, too.

Thanks. [MSmile] I worked on it for a while- I guess I'll just get faster with practice.

salad
Michigain, US

Return to Mapping