Weekly Map

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Mar 15th '11, 22:13

I have been told to practice my mapping, and to do so, I am going to challenge myself.

With what? Well... If you could read, you might already know...

DADDY Z3RO'S WEEKLY MAP MADNESS

Each week, I will unveil a new map created my myself.

They will be spread evenly throughout the trilogy, and at the end of each month, I will wrap up all of my latest maps, into a compilation download, with a map pack for each scenario that I created maps for in that month.

At the end of the year, I will have a year end wrap-up with all of my maps, and several failed packs, just for amusement's sake.
End result is that I will improve in mapmaking, and you guys get a load of good old fashioned carnage...

This week's map is:

-----------------------MONSTERS IN THE CLOSET (M1A1)------------------------
Amongst the Pfhor slaver's most important commodities are their ships and coolants.

This refueling vessel was sacked by Mjolnir MK IV cyborgs, and as such, contains many weapons hauled over from the Marathon.

On Friday at 9:00 PM EST Log in to M1A1 to play the map.
"Escape will make me God"

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 15th '11, 23:31

Will you be uploading the individual maps here after "unveiling" them each week?

$lave

Post Mar 16th '11, 14:40

I would advise you only to upload every 3 or 4 months on Simplici7y, but put the zip files in your OP as you create the maps.

gmanyo

Post Mar 16th '11, 21:07

$lave wrote:Will you be uploading the individual maps here after "unveiling" them each week?

Would you guys like that?

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 16th '11, 21:49

unveil around 3 or 4, then release a pack with them for a test and review?
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Mar 17th '11, 00:25

Don't waste your time making M1 maps, the only scenario people play online consistently is Marathon Infinity.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Mar 17th '11, 00:29

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Would you guys like that?

I'll be able to give you feedback on the maps sooner if you do, since I can't guarantee that I'll be around every Friday night for the "unveiling".

$lave

Post Mar 17th '11, 07:41

You could shoot for 2 or 3 weeks a map instead. That way, you could upload it the first week, get criticism, and revise it.

gmanyo

Post Mar 18th '11, 19:38

$lave wrote:I'll be able to give you feedback on the maps sooner if you do, since I can't guarantee that I'll be around every Friday night for the "unveiling".

Yeah, tonight is the first unveiling.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 19th '11, 18:27

Apologies, I could not host my game due to an inconvenience that was highly unexpected.

The new time will be Sunday at 8:30 PM EST.

Due to the fact that that is a convenient time, this will be the new standard time for each unveiling.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 19th '11, 18:58

DADDY Z3RO wrote:Apologies, I could not host my game due to an inconvenience that was highly unexpected.

Oh, you unexpectedly had something to do on a Friday night besides hosting Marathon games? What an inconvenience!
Last edited by treellama on Mar 19th '11, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 20th '11, 19:46

Treellama wrote:Oh, you unexpectedly had something to do on a Friday night besides hosting Marathon games? What an inconvenience!

Ow.
Well, tonight is the night.
For sure.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 21st '11, 01:03

People are lazy, and nobody will join

I guess you guys will have to wait till next week.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 21st '11, 02:15

DADDY Z3RO wrote:People are lazy, and nobody will join

I guess you guys will have to wait till next week.

If people were waiting, someone would have joined. Just post the map here.
Image Image

interion

Post Mar 21st '11, 18:13

Tim wrote:If people were waiting, someone would have joined. Just post the map here.

This time I will... Not only that, but you guys get a bonus.

you get Monsters in the Closet and...
Zweiwasserkinder (excuse the broken German but it gets the concept across), a Duality conversion for M1.
Attachments
ZWK_and_MitC.zip
(27.11 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 22nd '11, 02:30

awesome! i was wondering how long i'd have to wait before i got to play another remix of duality

screamingfool

Post Mar 22nd '11, 20:33

screamingfool wrote:awesome! i was wondering how long i'd have to wait before i got to play another remix of duality

Hey, that isn't the focus of the pack.

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 22nd '11, 23:04

I'm not entirely sure what the idea of the (non-duality) map was. It definitely wouldn't work as a netmap, but it also didn't have any sort of direction, so my best guess is that it's some sort of survival map. I kind of liked the hall with the goo rivers on the sides, but that was the only mildly appealing room.

I'd recommend either trying to make either genuine netmaps, meant for emfh, or solo/co op maps. The map you made wasn't suitable for either netplay or solo play. There also wasn't any real lighting, and the M1 pfhor texture set is possibly the ugliest texture set ever conceived. It's way too bright.

I hope to see improvement over the course of each week.

$lave

Post Mar 22nd '11, 23:57

These maps are fantastic.

Wrkncacnter

Post Mar 23rd '11, 02:02

Normally I'd play and review new maps, but M1A1. So, you know . . .
words

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Mar 23rd '11, 02:44

I'd recommend you just skip over M2, and maybe M1 too, straight to infinity because there is hardly anyone playing M1A1 anymore, everyone's moved to infinity. Besides, you get the SMG and Jjaro textures. What's not to love?
AttilaGeek

Post Mar 23rd '11, 03:54

Yeah, but he's targeting the "naive Guests who can't host" crowd.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Mar 23rd '11, 12:44

QUOTE(meatserver)
Dis has joined the room
Dis is hosting Arrival, EMFH[/quote]
Last edited by treellama on Mar 23rd '11, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Return to Mapping