The Coming era is approaching fast.

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Mar 28th '11, 02:08

Aleph One has had a "gamma corrected blending" option for quite some time now...
From My own observations, this feature self-shades polygons realistically using modern technology.

Many users accuse the gamma corrected blending of making mappers "lazy" and making scenarios "too dark".

I think that this is the way to go.

Differential shading has been a pain ever since the original trilogy.

Now that the engine CAN shade walls properly, why is it bad to require it?


I don't mean on the maps for say, Infinity or Durandal, but if someone makes a stand alone scenario, why is it wrong to ask for a simple settings alteration, or put on a small requirements tag for "OpenGL only"?

I find very few people use software rendering, so it will only be a small minority that will be left out.

And I also find that a lot of people who use software rendering can in fact use openGL, but never tried yet.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 28th '11, 02:16

If you're referring to this bug: http://www.pfhorums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5837

It has been fixed for 1.0 beta 1. You'll only notice the effect now if you turn on bump maps.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 28th '11, 03:02

*please* do not abandon differential shading. the engine does not know how to do this for you because the maps contain no information about where light sources are supposed to be, nor how negative geometry 'ought' to look. differential shading is the one thing standing between me and intense motion sickness when playing mararthon.

gamma corrected blending does exactly what it sounds like: it corrects for the ambient gamma settings, modifying the brightness of the entire screen. this is *not* related to differential shading.
Last edited by thermoplyae on Mar 28th '11, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar

thermoplyae

Post Mar 28th '11, 21:24

thermoplyae wrote:*please* do not abandon differential shading. the engine does not know how to do this for you because the maps contain no information about where light sources are supposed to be, nor how negative geometry 'ought' to look. differential shading is the one thing standing between me and intense motion sickness when playing mararthon.

gamma corrected blending does exactly what it sounds like: it corrects for the ambient gamma settings, modifying the brightness of the entire screen. this is *not* related to differential shading.

I always noticed the weird self shading when I turned it on.

What we need is some sort of guide to differential shading, so we don't fwack up every time we try to shade.
Basically, I don't like it when my maps look RIDICULOUS due to odd diff. shading.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!

Post Mar 28th '11, 21:42

SOLUTION: Shade them yourself.
Another thing you're not considering is that this wouldn't just alienate the group that still uses software rendering, it would also exclude the people (such as myself) who have older computers that can run OpenGL Classic but get bogged down by the more demanding features of OpenGL Shader.
Image
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Mar 28th '11, 22:05

DADDY Z3RO wrote:I always noticed the weird self shading when I turned it on.

What we need is some sort of guide to differential shading, so we don't fwack up every time we try to shade.
Basically, I don't like it when my maps look RIDICULOUS due to odd diff. shading.

http://webwonks.org/Marathon/Forge/hasturs...esthetics1.html

Goran gave great advise to look around your room and notice how the light works. The fact is differential shading can be seen in the real world all the time. Mastering it is tricky, but if you keep it in mind when builing your level it gets easier.
words
User avatar

ellio7t
long beach, ca no, now I live in L.A.

Post Mar 28th '11, 23:16

DADDY Z3RO wrote:What we need is some sort of guide to differential shading, so we don't fwack up every time we try to shade.

Here's a thread started by RyokoTK with some example images.
http://pfhorums.com/index.php?showtopic=3918
User avatar

Crater Creator

Post Mar 29th '11, 02:59

Until you learn, put this DLL in your Weland plugins folder. [attachment=4701:ShadePlugin.zip]
Endorsement:
Code: Select all
Stevedollars: great, this script is better at shading than most mappers


Run it on your map, but beware it will clobber all your light values. Your map must include the standard 20 Forge lights. It won't print anything, just save after you run it and open it in Aleph One.

Before:
[attachment=4702:Shadefrog_0000.png]

After:
[attachment=4703:Shadefrog_0004.png]

You should be able to do a lot better than that yourself though. Maybe not right now, but if you want to be a good mapper, you will need to be good at shading.
Attachments
Shadefrog_0004.png
Shadefrog_0004.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 2593 times
Shadefrog_0000.png
Shadefrog_0000.png (1.61 MiB) Viewed 2592 times
ShadePlugin.zip
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 29th '11, 04:05

This is great! I can finally make Deeze Maps look halfway decent without doing any work.
Image
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Post Apr 5th '11, 23:07

Treellama wrote:You should be able to do a lot better than that yourself though. Maybe not right now, but if you want to be a good mapper, you will need to be good at shading.

I use this plugin for a "base coat" of shading, then I modify and tweak the shading to make certain places darker/ lighter, then add lighting effects and such.
"Escape will make me God"
User avatar

zero
Tau Ceti or bust!


Return to Mapping



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users