Need A Light?

Discuss map ideas, techniques, and give help.

Post Jun 24th '11, 20:39

Over this week, I've been working on a Pathways into Darkness themed netmap, based on the boss section of the level "Need a Light?"

I've merged a shapes patch into the map containing 5 new textures, a couple scenery items including torches and PiD columns, a new item, a new monster, and extra bitmaps for one of the monster's projectiles. It all fits into the 384kb limit, the patch being 279kb. For some reason, the map goes out of sync.

I've tested hosting some other maps including another map I made, and they seem to run fine.

EDIT: The problem has been fixed, and the map should run properly over the 'net. Enjoy!

Also, I wanted to make the Purple Teleporter texture transparent in both OpenGL and Software, but the Software Rendering element didn't seem to do anything. i tried...but i ended up with a migrane.

Below is the merged map. EDIT 2: Removed for the time being.

By the way, Marathon 2 textures are recommended, but it doesn't look bad in Infinity textures. The columns will look a bit out of place, though.
Last edited by President People on Jun 26th '11, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

President People

Post Jun 24th '11, 20:55

This looks pretty cool.

Can you clarify: do your shapes cause OOS on any map, or is it just this map?

Are you embedding MML?

Does hosting it with the maps and shapes separately cause OOS? You'd have to give the shapes file to all the joiners to test this.
Last edited by treellama on Jun 24th '11, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 24th '11, 23:37

I think I've tracked down the problem. I was keeping the MML in individual TEXT files. I had tried a single MML file in with the level folder when I first merged the map, but it didn't work for some reason. After a lot of testing and narrowing down possibilities, I tried the single MML once more and it didn't seem to cause OOS.

I now remember you (Treellama) saying that Aleph One wouldn't support TEXT files in the future.

So it looks like the problem is solved, and it looks like it's my other computer's fault. When I'd brought the map over from it, the flames of the torches were blue. I re-made the patch on this one, and it was fine. But hey, what do you expect form a computer that only runs when it's warm? If I want to run it in cold weather, I literally have to wrap myself and it in blankets until it's warm enough to run. The things I do for Marathon. :P

Anyway, sorry for the trouble, and I'll be loading up the fixed map soon. Thanks for the suggestions, Treellama!

President People

Post Jun 24th '11, 23:55

President People wrote:I now remember you (Treellama) saying that Aleph One wouldn't support TEXT files in the future.

TEXT resources are still supported, but should be used when referring to external files. Replacement textures, sounds, and the like--which depend on other files being on the player's computer--should go here, because the TEXT resource isn't sent to other players (who may not have those files) in net games.

Putting it in an .mml in the level when you merge is the right solution if it alters sync behavior, so, you got it.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 25th '11, 02:03

Treellama wrote:TEXT resources are still supported, but should be used when referring to external files. Replacement textures, sounds, and the like--which depend on other files being on the player's computer--should go here, because the TEXT resource isn't sent to other players (who may not have those files) in net games.

Putting it in an .mml in the level when you merge is the right solution if it alters sync behavior, so, you got it.

Ah, then the exact file that was causing the game to go OOS is the one that gave you an Assault Rifle and extra ammo.

President People

Post Jun 25th '11, 02:22

The torches look great, although up close they look like they're covered in ants.

The map is nothing special, though :(

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 25th '11, 03:55

Treellama wrote:The torches look great, although up close they look like they're covered in ants.

They're from Tempus Irae, but they were only used in a secret level. I know what you mean, and I wanted to edit that, but forgot.

Is the map really that bad? :( I know the weapon placement probably needed work, but I couldn't test that properly before.

President People

Post Jun 25th '11, 11:11

President People wrote:They're from Tempus Irae, but they were only used in a secret level. I know what you mean, and I wanted to edit that, but forgot.

The Tempus guys would never let me use any of their stuff in net maps--how did you get permission?

Is the map really that bad? :(

Not bad, but not great either. If it's based off PID, though, what do you expect?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Jun 26th '11, 03:49

Treellama wrote:The Tempus guys would never let me use any of their stuff in net maps--how did you get permission?

Oopsâ?¦ I guess you would need permission for that. I personally wouldn't be angry if someone used my stuff, as long as it was creative and/or gave me credit, but the same can't be said for everybody. :( Maybe I could grab some torches from HeXen; no shame in stealing from a rival company, right? :P HeXen is still my second favorite Classic FPS though, even if it is from id software.

I'll take the map down until I can find some replacements.

President People

Return to Mapping