Net-Pack making contest

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post Aug 15th '11, 17:18

Treellama wrote:Just off hand, here are some skills that seem useful when running a net map contest:
  • Considerable experience playing net games on a competitive level
  • At least passing knowledge of the basics of what makes a net map good. Bonus points for having designed a good net map yourself.
  • Autonomy and planning: ability to draft a set of requirements before being asked
  • Leadership: knowing who is qualified to judge net maps, and being able to delegate that part of the contest
  • Planning: making sure there will actually be qualified judges before you announce the contest
  • Communication: having a basic, grade school level of spelling and grammar
  • Sense of purpose: what is the purpose of the contest? What motivation is there for anybody to enter it? What motivation is there for anybody to judge it?
I'm sure I could come up with more. Now, you can probably run a contest if you are only missing one or maybe even two of these. But if you don't have a single one?

Nobody should have to "just say so." This should be painfully obvious with any reasonable amount of introspection.

Please don't take this personally. You can learn to do all of these things, in time. Then when you're ready, you'll know what to do.

Sorry about that double post Dugit.

Thanks treellama for this advice.

Sorry for the pointless topic.
Marathon:Recharge

xdedge

Post Aug 18th '11, 01:39

Asylum wrote:Jolly good, I say!

sure is...
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Post Apr 5th '12, 03:43

Treellama wrote:Just off hand, here are some skills that seem useful when running a net map contest:
  • Considerable experience playing net games on a competitive level
  • At least passing knowledge of the basics of what makes a net map good. Bonus points for having designed a good net map yourself.
  • Autonomy and planning: ability to draft a set of requirements before being asked
  • Leadership: knowing who is qualified to judge net maps, and being able to delegate that part of the contest
  • Planning: making sure there will actually be qualified judges before you announce the contest
  • Communication: having a basic, grade school level of spelling and grammar
  • Sense of purpose: what is the purpose of the contest? What motivation is there for anybody to enter it? What motivation is there for anybody to judge it?
I'm sure I could come up with more. Now, you can probably run a contest if you are only missing one or maybe even two of these. But if you don't have a single one?

Nobody should have to "just say so." This should be painfully obvious with any reasonable amount of introspection.

Please don't take this personally. You can learn to do all of these things, in time. Then when you're ready, you'll know what to do.

the same goes for me i suppose. i didn't quite have everything planned ahead and i also didn't really have a sense of purpose for my contest... i can't even remember why i felt the need to do it in the first place...
If I had a rocket launcher, I'd make myself pay.

unclenate
AZ, USA, Earth

Previous

Return to Contests & Tournaments