Art challenge

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post Dec 21st '06, 19:23

When should we do an art challenge? And would the first challenge be? Should it be The juggernaut vs. the Bobs or cyborgs vs. pfhor? Suggestions?
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 21st '06, 20:08

hmmm, now? what about pfhor vs bobs? nice and simple
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo
User avatar

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Dec 21st '06, 21:57

Sure, maybe the challenge can start a week after christmas.
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 21st '06, 21:57

I was thinking of hosting an art challenge. I would be judging, along with 3 others and we would have about 6 people competing.
User avatar

Lugas

Post Dec 21st '06, 22:03

I don't relly nessecarily want it a contest, but instead a challenge. For example, on The Shoryuken forums(street fighter) They hosted an art challenge called C.S.F.A.C which stood for Character Select Fan Art Challenge. For one week it would be Ryu and the next week it would be Ken and so on. So nobody would lose.
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 21st '06, 23:44

art challenge sounds great to me, but the judges if any, need to be open minded to any art style. Some people like to draw Pfhor in an abstract way, or some people practice cubism or expressionism... Realism isn't all.
User avatar

JohannesG

Post Dec 22nd '06, 01:31

And everybody hates MoppyPuppy's art. But I don't, that's why I don't think it would be fair if it was a contest.
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 22nd '06, 15:42

Moppy's art is crap done in 5 seconds in paint. Had he spent say... 6 seconds perhaps we might like it a bit more.

So.. this "challange"... will we need to draw it on paper? Or color it? Or just do it in photoshop?
User avatar

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Dec 22nd '06, 19:57

I don't hate Moppy's art. I think it's heinous anyway.
User avatar

Lugas

Post Dec 22nd '06, 21:44

Shadowbreaker wrote:Moppy's art is crap done in 5 seconds in paint. Had he spent say... 6 seconds perhaps we might like it a bit more.

So.. this "challange"... will we need to draw it on paper? Or color it? Or just do it in photoshop?


not that i'm a big supporter of Moppy's art but i have one question. Does time spent on art equal quality? i'm afraid not sir.

great art can be done in 10 months, 20 years, 2 days, 2 minutes...
User avatar

JohannesG

Post Dec 22nd '06, 23:49

As Gunnar said, good art takes longer than we think Moppy has been spending. I am being a bit of a hypocrite, I don't spend long on my art, because I use sprites. I did however change the Enforcer's colour table in the picture at the bottom of this page. But still, my art is much more weird than it is effortless. Also, I still think moppy's art is heinous.
Last edited by Lugas on Dec 22nd '06, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Lugas

Post Dec 22nd '06, 23:50

Shadowbreaker- It can be done in any computer program, or on paper, or anything!
Johannes Gunnar- I agree with you completely.
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 23rd '06, 00:56

call me crazy, but I might be the only one that enjoys the moppy look. (cute wise)

but I say... NO judges!
make it an open poll for the public when voting, to rid of bais?
Image
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron
User avatar

shongshong
right here

Post Dec 23rd '06, 16:28

I like moppy's art!
I don't think there should be any Judges or voting! It's just a challenge to participate not win.
User avatar

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Dec 23rd '06, 17:37

ok, i was thinking about starting the first one, a simple one to make us ready for the future challenges.
So if everybody agree i'll say the current theme will be Durandal.

No limit in entries per participant
no judges, no voting.. just a challenge to participate
Everybody are welcome
deadline will be 1st January 2007.

how does that sound? :)
User avatar

JohannesG

Post Dec 23rd '06, 21:14

i suggest paper only. not alot of ppl have photoshop or corell, and judging a hand drawn image on paper vs a digital image done on a computer is quite hard. however we could have two catagories however. a drawing catagorie where all paper/non digital media art will be judged and a digital media catagorie where all the photoshop and digital paints and so forth can be judged.

also when will this offically start, whats the theme and when will it end,
i know johannes put up Durandal as the theme and im fine with that...
Last edited by Dieselfame3 on Dec 23rd '06, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Dieselfame3

Post Dec 23rd '06, 23:04

Dieselfame3 wrote:i suggest paper only. not alot of ppl have photoshop or corell, and judging a hand drawn image on paper vs a digital image done on a computer is quite hard. however we could have two catagories however. a drawing catagorie where all paper/non digital media art will be judged and a digital media catagorie where all the photoshop and digital paints and so forth can be judged.

also when will this offically start, whats the theme and when will it end,
i know johannes put up Durandal as the theme and im fine with that...


first of all i think most of the people want no judging and i agree with that. First of all we just want to boost art acticity here. :)
Art Challenges with judges can come later on :)

And i would say all tools & tricks are allowed, be it photoshop or be it hand drawn.
User avatar

JohannesG

Post Dec 24th '06, 00:00

so when do we need to get this Durandal Art in by?
Image
Dieselfame3

Post Dec 24th '06, 03:51

so when do we need to get this Durandal Art in by?
deadline will be 1st January 2007.


Pixels and paper.

Last edited by Switch on Dec 24th '06, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

Switch
NYC

Post Dec 24th '06, 08:00

meh heres one that didnt tke alot of skill, but i thought it was worth putting up, ill have some better ones in a bit


Image
Dieselfame3

Post Dec 24th '06, 12:39

Lugas wrote:As Gunnar said, good art takes longer than we think Moppy has been spending. I am being a bit of a hypocrite, I don't spend long on my art, because I use sprites. I did however change the Enforcer's colour table in the picture at the bottom of this page. But still, my art is much more weird than it is effortless. Also, I still think moppy's art is heinous.


I wanted to clarify one thing, maybe you misunderstood me or maybe my grammar and english is not as good as i thought but what i meant is that good art doesn't need to take long. You can make a masterpiece in 1 day, you can make a masterpiece in 2 years, or you can even make a masterpiece in 15 seconds. Time doesn't equal quality although enough of time comes in handy most of the time.

And i'm gonna make a new thread here for the Art Challenge: Durandal round if you guys don't mind. so please don't post your art challenge submissions here
Last edited by JohannesG on Dec 24th '06, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

JohannesG


Return to Contests & Tournaments



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users