Winter 2007 Mapmaking Contest

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post Jan 30th '07, 01:34

"Not this crap again," sighed the harried nerd, toiling in front of his computer while reading the latest on the Pfhorums...

Yes, I know it's not July yet, but that's alright; it's time for another mapmaking contest anyway. The first two contests, held in July 2005 and July 2006, yielded the map packs Victory Dance and Victory Dance II. I hope to see the same effort put into this contest, and to see an even greater pack than VD2.

IF YOU'RE INTERESTED, HERE ARE THE RULES:
- The deadline is February 19 -- as of this post, you have three weeks in which you must have submitted your map.
- ONLY NETMAPS ARE ALLOWED
- Any ORIGINAL netmap that was not completed before January 29 will be allowed.
- No remakes or "rhapsody" (combination) maps. Following with the above rule, I am judging your map on its creativity and originality.
- No 7-polygon maps. Your map will be judged on the depth of your mapping.
- Only one map per person. The last file received by any competitor on February 19 will be judged.
- No collaborating. The map must be constructed by you, and you alone, though you are free to playtest it with other people.
- No CTF maps or any map that requires scripts -- just for simplicity's sake.
- All maps must use DEFAULT INFINITY SHAPES, SOUNDS, PHYSICS, etc.

I will judge the maps on a 70-point scale. The map that scores the most points out of 70 is the winner of the contest. The scoring table is below:

FLOW: 25 points
- As in, how facilitated is player movement, how easy is it to find combat, how well you can find the guns, how fast and succinct the corridors and lifts are, etc. etc. Being that flow is the most important factor in any map, it's worth the most points. Trick lifts, water cannons, and so forth are all a hindrance to flow. I will score very harshly on flow this time around, so put forth the effort to make sure it's as good as possible.

BALANCE: 20 points
- Misplaced spawn points, blind teleports, slow-moving doors, skewed weapon locations, ridiculously overpowered guns based on map design, excessive health or powerups, or any instance where the surviving player holds a massive advantage over any other player will cause this to go down. This section will also be graded very harshly; there's not much less fun than an unfair map.

ARCHITECTURE AND DEPTH: 10 points
- The depth of your polygon and texture usage goes here. Attention to detail, "eye candy," fancy lighting, and what-have-you all factor into this. A map that is nice to look at will do better here, but remember: don't sacrifice flow for good architecture. Last summer's winner (Bimonscipfhicon) had merely suitable architecture; it was good, but Treellama did not sacrifice flow for better architecture. Keep that in mind.

FUN: 10 points
- Proper weapon placement, a good level of carnage without being excessive or unfair, and a properly-sized map are all good factors of sheer fun. Flow does not necessarily mean fun.

ORIGINALITY: 5 points
- If your map, in design, is unique, you will get the full points here. Arena maps will do very poorly, because I have seen way too many arenas for another arena to possibly be original anymore. This doesn't mean "lol map made out of hallways," but one-room maps will probably get only one or two points. Any map that scores a 0 in Originality will be disqualified.

Score summary:
FLOW: 25 points
BALANCE: 20 points
ARCHITECTURE AND DEPTH: 10 points
FUN: 10 points
ORIGINALITY: 5 points
TOTAL: 70 points

Your map is not guaranteed a section-by-section critique of your map (i.e. why your map only got 12 points for Flow), but you will be scored.

For the July 2006 contest, I made a handy-dandy checklist that is both useful in general, but also a great tool for maximizing your score. The checklist won't prevent you from making a poor map by itself, but it covers most of the details that can make a mediocre map good, and a good map great.

Remember: the deadline is February 19, 3 weeks from the start of this contest. The winner will be announced anywhere between then and March 1. Anyone is allowed to compete. The top few maps will be merged into a pack and distributed, while the remainder will remain forgotten. Heh.

Most importantly, though, have fun. And let the game begin. To submit your map, e-mail it to RyokoTK@Gmail.com -- do not submit it as an attachment on any Pfhorum or send it to me by any other means. You are not allowed to seek critique from me. Don't ask. Your score will be reserved until the contest is over; I WILL NOT score it until after February 19, so don't ask me that either. Also, if you release your map to the public after you send it to me, but before the contest is over, the map is disqualified. After the contest ends, whether or not your map is published in Victory Dance III, you may publish it yourself.

Disclaimer: Submitting your map to me means you grant me the right to distribute your map as part of a map pack on Fileball. You will be credited appropriately for your map. I reserve the right to disqualify any map or mapmaker for any reason not listed above at any time, or no reason at all. If you have any complaints, questions, queries, or anything else like that, e-mail me, but know that I may spontaneously decide to disqualify you if I don't like what you wrote. Just kidding. Please don't kill me.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Feb 11th '07, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jan 30th '07, 03:11

RyokoTK wrote:Disclaimer: Submitting your map to me means you forefit all right to your map -- in other words, it is mine to distribute. You will be credited appropriately for your map. I reserve the right to disqualify any map or mapmaker for any reason not listed above at any time, or no reason at all. If you have any complaints, questions, queries, or anything else like that, e-mail me, but know that I may spontaneously decide to disqualify you if I don't like what you wrote. Just kidding. Please don't kill me.

Meh, speaking of which Ive wondered what you meant... if our map didnt make it into the previous pack can we distribute it anyway? And not to be a snitch on megaman, but he released a is for ammo in his "sfr" pack...

Ill try slop something together... normally it only takes a few listens of the 1812 overture (17 minutes long) to complete... a few meaning 7+...

Also another question: can there be more than 8 spawn points?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jan 30th '07, 03:55

Shadowbreaker wrote:Meh, speaking of which Ive wondered what you meant... if our map didnt make it into the previous pack can we distribute it anyway? And not to be a snitch on megaman, but he released a is for ammo in his "sfr" pack...

You can distribute it either way; the disclaimer is there so people don't bitch if/when it does get posted, since my name goes on the netpack. Anyway, you're free to release the map after the contest is done. However, releasing it before Feb. 19 disqualifies it.

Also another question: can there be more than 8 spawn points?
Pop quiz, Shadowbreaker. Define the bolded term in this quote:
FUNCTIONALITY
[ ] - Make sure your map has at least 8 spawns.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 1st '07, 02:04

There, I've sent mine off... took me about 4 hours total, started about a few minutes after you made this thread.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 3rd '07, 13:59

I think I'll try this one out, I can make time for it (I'm not promisiing anything...), especially since one of my classes is ending earlier than I thought...
*Goes off to brainstorm a map*
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Return to Contests & Tournaments