FEB 2007 MAPMAKING CONTEST FINAL RESULTS

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post Feb 20th '07, 07:42

This season's contest was really incredible! While there was a disappointing turnout (only 9 competitors, as opposed to 12 for last July and 14 for the July before), the overall quality of the maps is much higher. This season, I scored more harshly than I did before, so while scores are lower, I'd say the maps are at least as good (if not better).

Let's all give a brief round of applause to screamingfool for nearly sweeping the contest with Russian Dance, and treellama, falling just short of winning twice in a row. The top 7 maps (55 points or higher) will be released soon as "Victory Dance III;" keep your eyes open!

MAP CONTEST SCORES

---

FINAL SCORES:
1st [68]: screamingfool
2nd [66]: treellama (1st last season)
3rd [65]: irons (2nd last season)
4th [62]: W'rkncacnter (3rd last season)
5th [57]: Shadowbreaker (7th last season)
6th [56]: Megam4n (5th last season)
7th [55]: LegacyTyphoon
8th [46]: Slade
9th [34]: Kryten

---

Map Name: Russian Dance
Author: screamingfool
Flow: 24/25
Balance: 19/20
Looks: 10/10
Fun: 10/10
Originality: 5/5
TOTAL SCORE: 68/70
Summary: This map is visually *outstanding*; screamingfool has fixed his previous issues with bland lighting while retaining good texture usage and amazingly detailed architecture. Lots (and lots) of little details. Flow is almost perfect, but there is one ceiling that is just a shade too low to pass under, but it doesn't appear to be so. Platform delays are also slightly too long. Weapon balance is a bit awkward, putting too much weight on the Assault Rifle (it's a very expansive map) and not enough weight on the SPNKR (there's enough SPNKR packs, but distribution isn't very good). Overall, an outstanding map.

---

Map Name: Ile Boule de Feu
Author: treellama
Flow: 23/25
Balance: 20/20
Looks: 8/10
Fun: 10/10
TOTAL SCORE: 66/70
Summary: The map has very appealing architecture with a few nice tricks, but the looks are killed by generally uninspired lighting and a couple spots of poor texture placement. Flow is nearly perfect, except for a teleport where a lift would probably be better, and a long and exposed ledge that leads to a useless teleport. Most teleports on the map offer little, if any, strategic advantage, and will probably be costly in a 4p or larger game. Weapons are geared toward the power variety, but so is the geometry, so the balance is flawless, as far as I can tell.

---

Map Name: 30000 Feet Above the Earth
Author: irons
Flow: 24/25
Looks: 6/10
Fun: 9/10
TOTAL SCORE:
Summary: This map follows the tried-and-true dueling map formula of AR/SMG, and does it pretty well. The only part where flow hurts is a couple "headbanger" jumps; as usual, it's of little consequence. The map's architecture and depth gets the job done, but doesn't really impress me much. Other than that, the map is plain, but the flow is almost perfect and the balance is too. Pretty much everything is where I expect it to be, which is extremely important for duels. Good lip service for the Alien Weapon as well, but it actually sees some limited use (and it's placed out of the way, so it's not easy to get on accident).

---

Map Name: Unconditioned Freefall
Author: W'rkncacnter
Flow: 22/25
Looks: 7/10
Fun: 8/10
TOTAL SCORE: 62/70
Summary: The flow is adequate, but the map has a distinct feeling of fighting on a hill, and sometimes heading down the "hill" causes the player to hit his head on the ceiling. Pretty much all flow points are lost because of that. The texturing is adequate, but uninspired. The lighting is good. The architecture seems to be lacking in form, but it's livable as well. Almost all of the gunplay comes down to the SMG and SPNKR -- and it's surprisingly balanced, because there's a lot of pillars and stuff in the way, so sustaining fire with the SMG is somewhat difficult. Overall, a solid dueling map, but one with a couple minor problems.

---

Map Name: Oyster Farm
Author: Shadowbreaker
Flow: 18/25
Balance: 16/20
TOTAL SCORE: 57/70
Summary: Several points were lost because the central part of the map is a dead-ended trench, which is detrimental to both flow and balance (I spawned at the dead-end of this trench; in a big game, I would have died immediately). Some areas are unnecessarily difficult to get to, but it looks like they should be easily reached. One teleport leaves the player facing a wall. The architecture and lighting is quite good, and while the sounds are a bit loud, it's not much of an issue. Weapon placement is sufficient, but distribution is somewhat skewed depending on the weapon (almost all of the SPNKRs are on the west half of the map). The biggest issue is merely this stupid trench.

---

Map Name: Secluded Wonder
Author: Megam4n
Flow: 19/25
Balance: 15/20
Originality: 4/5
TOTAL SCORE: 56/70
Summary: Most of the flow deductions come from the lifts, which are difficult to board unless you're running straight at them. However, the darkness also makes maneuvering in the cramped corridors a bit tougher. Nothing too serious there. Some of the lifts are hard to see, so getting out of the main pit can be a little difficult, primarily because of the lifts or the teleports that put you right along the ledge. No safety there. Balance is lost in part because there are far too many weapons jammed into this map (which is fairly small), and also because the missiles are a very poor choice for about half of the map (especially in the tunnels). Fake terminals are neither necessary nor welcome. Visuals are amazing. Map loses one point of originality for symmetry. As a dueling map, too much strength will undoubtedly arise from being on top.

---

Map Name: You Better Move
Author: LegacyTyphoon
Flow: 20/25
Balance: 17/20
Looks: 4/10
Fun: 9/10
TOTAL SCORE: 55/70
Summary: The map seems to be a dueling map, judging by the weapon selection, which is almost entirely Assault Rifle/SMG (with the TOZT and Alien Gun mixed up for a bit of fun). As a dueling map, it's balanced fairly well, though the trench that dominates about 1/3 of the map leads to some balance issues. I don't know if I'd use this weapon mix for the map, as the TOZT has a pretty good reach in the tight corridors, whereas the SMG is almost useless, but it's not awful. The flow is okay, but some of the corridors billow out far too much; they're much longer than they have to be. The map's teleport puts the player in a horrible place, and lifts out of the trench are hard to see through the water. Legacy's architecture is definitely at a novice level, but it still has a charming, if awkward, appearance. One of the waterfalls is bouncy, and the texturing is horribly misaligned. Minimal effort was put in the sounds.

---

Map Name: Like Eating Glass
Author: Slade
Flow: 16/25
Balance: 10/20
Looks: 9/10
Fun: 6/10
TOTAL SCORE: 46/70
Summary: The map is divided into two distinct halves. On the north half, narrow ledges and narrow, but long, stairwells dominate the architecture, which puts any players trying to climb them at a severe risk of eating a rocket. Higher ledges on the southern half also make these ledges extremely exposed, so players will want to either remain in the trenches (not a lucrative option) or make their way up to the top, skewing map balance. Weapon and ammo placement is random and haphazard. Teleports are the quickest way up to the top, but extremely unsafe, putting the player smack in the middle of the hill. Platforms move too slowly. Some of the drops down to the lower area cause the player to hit his head on ceiling ledges, hurting flow. Climbing to the top is overall too hard. One of the pillars has one of those "bounce" errors. Texturing and lighting is good, if slightly bland in the northern half. One of the teleports is useless, putting the player about 10 feet away and facing the same teleport.

---

Map Name: A Purple Dragon
Author: Kryten
Flow: 17/25
Balance: 10/20
Looks: 1/10
Fun: 3/10
Originality: 3/5
TOTAL SCORE: 34/70
Summary: The map's flow is almost decidedly from one side of the map to the other, with a teleport looping back to the original side, meaning that about half of the map is useless. A major dead-end kills the flow, but stairwells that are just too large and billow out too far also make the meager flow take a hit. Weapon placement is abysmal, and getting the rocket launcher is gimmicky, but once you have it, you hold supreme power. Not enough guns make the map decidedly skewed towards survivors. No effort was made for lighting or sounds, and the texturing is horrible. The layout of the map is also poor, and while it doesn't remind me of anything, it also appears to be largely just a shapeless mass of polygons. The map is basically one small, ugly, formless room.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 20th '07, 13:07

Congrats, all. BTW, when is the pack coming out?
Mordekai

Post Feb 20th '07, 15:23

I'll make and submit the merge later today, so hopefully by tomorrow it'll be on Fileball.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 20th '07, 20:49

I actually did have a version of Oyster Farm where the the trench lead somewhere, but that extension made the map far to big for the usual 4 people who are on metaserver.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Feb 20th '07, 20:54

Why didn't you use that? Size wasn't really an issue for the contest.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Feb 20th '07, 21:12

Hm, next time i should participate... Just to know how bad i am with netmaps :D
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Feb 20th '07, 21:37

When will the next contest be?
I know someone that might want to participate.
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Feb 20th '07, 22:18

July will almost certainly be the next contest, to follow in the tradition of a contest every July.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Return to Contests & Tournaments