Art Challenge IV: The Juggernaut

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post Mar 1st '07, 04:17

Juggernaut starts March 1st.

Guidelines
- Challenge: The Juggernaut
- Deadline: 1st April 2007
- Art Styles Allowed: Everything. Poetry & Prose, Paintings, Photoshopping, "MS Painting", Photography, Music... you name it.
- Submissions per. participant: unlimited
- Everybody is welcome
- There will be no winner or loser, this is mainly for fun.
- Personal Opinions on each others artwork are of course allowed, but for the love of all that is good, try to be mature in your comments. no flaming!

This fourth challenge is to incorporate The Juggernaut into any form of art.

*** IMPORTANT! - If you have borrowed some art online from someone to use in yours, please do credit the real author in the same post you submit your art. It's truly disgraceful to steal art! ***

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 1st '07, 06:45

The Jug

Big of Bulk and no undertoe,
does the hover mechanism work.
upon its face 3 eyes placed tri-angu-lar-ly.
A grim smile of death, and fire apfhorth,
the whirl and whim of certaincy,
T'fear or not?

Eh, something quick.

EDIT: Okay, I drew something quick too.

Last edited by Zott on Mar 1st '07, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 1st '07, 22:46

Cool pic and poem! I will try to get one done within the next few days.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 2nd '07, 04:08

Last edited by Samus on Mar 2nd '07, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Samus

Post Mar 2nd '07, 12:58

Nice one, it's good to see different approach to the challenge. This was what I was looking for when I started these challenges.
kudos to you

JohannesG

Post Mar 3rd '07, 04:13

Cool pic, samus.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 3rd '07, 07:34

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/00mb-delNXs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/00mb-delNXs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 3rd '07, 14:54

Lol Ryoko, I think the power ranger one they did was better.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 3rd '07, 22:11

imagine yourself not looking at the juggernaut from the outside, but from the inside. how does it tick?
perhaps it is a quiet, peaceful machine that doesn't understand its tasks, and simply follows orders.
or perhaps it is more sinister, smiling to itself and waiting for its next chance to fight.

my submission is an mp3 audio file: [attachment=502:circuit_idling80.mp3]
sorry for the low bitrate, it was nescessary to fit within the upload size.
piece was performed by me on turntables, the end work is an edit of two separate takes.
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

kineticturtle

Post Mar 4th '07, 04:18

har! thats preity cool! I can imagine a machine that monsterouse has an interior abiance like that
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Mar 4th '07, 05:16

My brother, Soulblighter (not part of the pfhorums), made this piece in garage band with a midi keyboard
[attachment=503:Juggernaut.m4a.zip]
heavily compressed. its less than 1/10th of the original sound file (not including zip).
Attachments
Juggernaut.m4a.zip
(937.34 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Mar 4th '07, 13:57

This is the kinda juggernaut I want in shadow. Its a lot like the m1 juggernaut, but has its own original features.

Done with 1 pencil.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Mar 6th '07, 02:28

Reading KT's post gave me an interesting idea for a short "essay/story"...since these days almost anything can be art...
The Face of a Juggernaught:
Excerpt from the recovered diaries of a once-infamous P'fhor pathology scientist.
January 21st:
Today I decided to take my team deeper into P'fhor territory to work our way deeper into the P'fhor mentality. My team was resistant at first, but I showed them the error of their ways when I made an example out of Frank. Our cloaking devices have worked fairly well, but we lost George because he was an idiot and tried to run away.
March 15th:
We finally made it into the inner area of P'fhor controlled space. I have just now had enough time to be able to write about our exploits. Our cloaking device failed us shortly after we entered their territory and we've been making "running" observations as we flee their space forces.
March 20th:
Over half my team is gone, either having fled or been killed defending our research vessel. During these past few days I've repeatedly run into what we call Juggernaughts. Or as some of our security team so crudely calls them, "Thing That Kicks Our Asses." I have decided to take the time to stay here and research these strange beings rather than return to UESC controlled space.
April 1st:
As a wonderful April Fool's joke, my team decided to desert and they left me on a P'fhor inhabited planet and tried to escape. I got the last laugh though, when I saw two Juggernaughts blow them out of the sky.
April 8th:
The Juggernaughts excite me. I have seen their destructive power, their grace, their utter lack of emotion. I saw one Juggernaught utterly destroy Mary, my secretary with a volley of missles. It was a horrible and beautiful sight to behold.
April 10th:
While running away from a group of P'fhor, I ran directly into a Juggernaught. I am probably the only human who was able to look this closely at one of these...things...and survive. All I saw was my own death. This is rather silly for a scientist to say, but this, I believe is what I saw. However, this one just looked at me for a while and then it floated away, completely ignoring me...I think they're playing with me, they could have captured or killed me quite some time ago.
April 11th:
As I think back to my experience with the Juggernaught. I begin to wonder about what it was thinking. What do they eat? Are they built? I wonder what it thought of me...Then I realized I haven't shaved in over two months, I must have looked horrible. I plan on going back out and finding this same Juggernaught again. Perhaps I can convince some of the local P'fhor to take me to it.
Diary entires end here. The "mysteries" of the Juggernaught have never been fully revealed, nor have any further explorations been attempted. Two other groups of scientists have tried disecting Juggernaughts. The first group was blow apart because they couldn't figure out the Juggernaught's self-destruction system and then other went missing after they announced that they were going to try to diplomatically talk to a Juggernaught.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Mar 6th '07, 02:30, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Mar 6th '07, 02:34

Cool stuff guys!
Here's my entry.
Last edited by Phobos-Romulus on Mar 6th '07, 02:35, edited 1 time in total.

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 6th '07, 07:21

Nice work, everyone!

And hey, Gray...
Grayswandir wrote:Reading KT's post gave me an interesting idea...since these days almost anything can be art...

What's that supposed to mean? =p
Last edited by kineticturtle on Mar 6th '07, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.

kineticturtle

Post Mar 6th '07, 17:32

Thanks!

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 7th '07, 00:33

Kinetic Turtle wrote:Nice work, everyone!

And hey, Gray...

What's that supposed to mean? =p

Reading KT's post gave me an interesting idea...since these days almost anything can be art...

Almost anything can be art these days...I've seen a large white, paint-board...painted white...with a red dot somewhere in the corner, going for thousands of dollars.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Mar 7th '07, 01:59

Grayswandir wrote:Almost anything can be art these days...I've seen a large white, paint-board...painted white...with a red dot somewhere in the corner, going for thousands of dollars.

A couple of my favorite Robert Rauschenberg pieces:

http://www.tate.org.uk/tateetc/issue8/imag...eddekooning.jpg
http://www.toutfait.com/issues/volume2/iss...mages/09_sm.jpg

There's actually a better, three panel painting in the same series as the second image at the MOMA in San Francisco. I love it a lot.

Also see John Cage's 4'33".

kineticturtle

Post Mar 7th '07, 02:40

All it looks like is Blank Canvas!!!

Phobos-Romulus
Rochester MI

Post Mar 7th '07, 05:32

you laugh! too the untrained professional... it apears to be a "A Blank Canvas!!! Gee Wilikers!"

if you look really closely, its a mathematical binary layout of the andromeda galaxy
Last edited by shongshong on Mar 7th '07, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Mar 7th '07, 18:38

Phobos-Romulus wrote:All it looks like is Blank Canvas!!!

They are both blank canvasses, but the paintings are completely different; the first was a detailed illustration by Rauschenberg's friend William De Kooning, which he then erased in its entirety (the piece was created for this purpose). The second is from his series of "white paintings" which are generally painted with a roller, and generally come to galleries with instructions to repaint them (again with a roller) if they begin to lose their freshness.

Anyway, sorry to get us off topic... back to the jugger art!

kineticturtle

Post Mar 7th '07, 19:42

The second is from his series of "white paintings" which are generally painted with a roller, and generally come to galleries with instructions to repaint them (again with a roller) if they begin to lose their freshness.

What bothers me the most is not that it's considered art, but that people pay ungodly amounts of money for a five-minute Home Depot project. "Professional" art is a scam, and it really bothers me that nobody is actually going to come out and tell this guy that, despite all the "thought" he may have put into it, it's still a white goddamn canvas. It doesn't challenge my perception on art outside of the fact that I can't believe I'm paying $5 to enter the art gallery and look at it.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Mar 7th '07, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 7th '07, 22:48

RyokoTK wrote:What bothers me the most is not that it's considered art, but that people pay ungodly amounts of money for a five-minute Home Depot project. "Professional" art is a scam, and it really bothers me that nobody is actually going to come out and tell this guy that, despite all the "thought" he may have put into it, it's still a white goddamn canvas. It doesn't challenge my perception on art outside of the fact that I can't believe I'm paying $5 to enter the art gallery and look at it.

I consider that art, but i still say it's a shame how much art like that costs. Actually all art is way too expensive. My mother is an artist and she sells her pieces for a very low amount. small ones for 30-50 bucks, bigger ones for around 80-150 and the large ones for around 200 bucks, which is REALLY cheap compared to art today, and she is still one of the main artists in her art genre here in Iceland.
Last edited by JohannesG on Mar 7th '07, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

JohannesG

Post Mar 7th '07, 23:45

well, think of it in the artists point of view,
you paint because its your job... now wouldn't it be great to bump up the zeros to get more $$$?
if rich people can afford and dish out the bling, than why not make 'art work' more expensive (wink wink)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Mar 8th '07, 00:07

you paint because its your job... now wouldn't it be great to bump up the zeros to get more $$$?

Really? I thought people painted because they enjoyed painting. Anyway, whether or not a white canvas is art is not what I'm debating -- whether or not it's worth the thousands of dollars it runs for, however, is another issue.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Next

Return to Contests & Tournaments