M2 Groove Session I

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
The Thug
Vidmaster

This music composing contest is called M2 Groove Session, or MGS for short. No, these aren't machine guns. [MTongue] So here is how this contest is going to work:

RULES:
1) For all participants, you will have to compose 3 songs, one to complement each of the first 3 levels of Marathon
Durandal. To refresh your memory, these levels are Waterloo Waterpark, The Slings & Arrows of Outrageous Fortune, and Charon Doesn't Make Change. Together, these 3 levels make up the first chapter of Marathon 2, called Lh'owon.
2) Each song must fall within a reasonable length range. I'm looking for songs from 1 minute to 4 minutes. I will be flexible with the length, but please don't make a song as short as 10 seconds or as long as 10 minutes.
3) There must be no singing in any of the songs. The only exceptions will be for a few words, such as "Marathon!" or "The Power of Seven," and one of those background choruses. This is a contest on music composition and interpretation, not on singing talent. Note: Any profanity will disqualify all your songs from the contest.
4) Deadline: All entries must be emailed to me at thethug47@gmail.com no later than March 25th April 1st at midnight EST. That's a little more than 3 weeks to make 3 songs.

Anyone interested in judging also email me.

Your entries will be judged on the following material:
1) Interpretation of the Level: Does your song complement the level provided? Does it help set the atmosphere of the level and contribute to the gameplay? A bad example would be to play "Happy Birthday" during a war scene, while a good example might be to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" during a scene where a little kid is pondering the universe. 20 points
2) Musicality: How well the tempo, rhythm, notes, etc fit together. It shouldn't sound like a 6th grader randomly hitting stuff or pressing down keys on his first instrument. 20 points
3) Creativity: This is your music so make it unique. I understand that many background parts repeat over and over, but don't create a whole song where the majority of the melody is the same eight notes played repeatedly. Jazz it up and make it enjoyable and fun to listen to, while still staying within the other requirements. 10 points
4) Sound Quality: If it sounds like trash or is poor quality, you will obviously lose points here. I'm looking for clean, high quality music with no white noise, unless the white noise is intended. 10 points
5) Originality: Remixes sound great and all, but the point of this contest is too create something NEW that complements the given level. Remixing M1A1 music or any other music will cause you lose points here and probably in a few other sections of the judging scale. 5 points
6) Length: If the song length is too long or short, points will be lost. The song should be long enough to show effort, but short enough to be precise. 5 points

TOTAL: 70 points/song.

Each song will be judged individually, and then the 3 song scores for each participant will be added together for the total score out of 210 points. Depending on how many people enter this contest, only a certain number of songs will make it to the final release. This release will be called Lh'owon, seeing as it encompasses the Lh'owon chapter of Marathon 2. I'm planning on holding a music composing contest for each M2 chapter, until we have finally created a Marathon 2 soundtrack.

So that's the how this contest will go. Have fun making music!

Additional Notes:
- Please make sure your songs loop well. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not going to beat each level within 1-4 minutes every time I play them.
- Just because you email your songs to me doesn't mean you can't edit them. You can email me edited songs as much as you like, but the last email I receive will be the one that gets judged.

EDIT: Additional Notes added
Last edited by The Thug on Apr 5th '09, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Why M2?

(Now I'm gonna have to play it if I want to come up with something that fits... not that there's anything bad with that...)
L'howon
Vidmaster

ukimalefu wrote:Why M2?

(Now I'm gonna have to play it if I want to come up with something that fits... not that there's anything bad with that...)
I'm interested why too. I suppose because M2 is probably the best of the 3, taking into account mapping, story, and everything that goes into a scenario.

Or just because he felt like M2, and Infinity is kind of screwy anyways.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Technically we already have a M1 soundtrack from M1A1, so I thought it would be nice to make a M2 and an Infinity soundtrack. I also wanted to make a music composing contest, so I combined the two. After these contests provide music for all the M2 levels, we can move onto Infinity, and then after that, something else.
$lave

3 songs seems like a bit much to do in a month, but I'll try.
The Thug
Vidmaster

If there aren't many entries by March 25th, I will extend it a week or two.

ukimalefu: can you email me your songs instead of posting them here?
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

The Thug wrote:If there aren't many entries by March 25th, I will extend it a week or two.

ukimalefu: can you email me your songs instead of posting them here?
[MErr]

What's the difference? I don't get it.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Email is just my preferred way of receiving things. Plus, it will help me keep all the entries in one place.
goran
Vidmaster

ukimalefu, can you do both? [MAngry]

I, for one, appreciated that you posted your track here. That way we can all chime in with comments. And comments... that's what artists of any kind eat for lunch, right?

Though, if the thug don't want it - Im not going to bitch. It's his contest afterall.
Last edited by goran on Mar 2nd '09, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

I do like to share, collaborate and such, but posting your competitive piece in a competition where originality and creativity are scored seems counter productive to me. Maybe we could have a posting of them all (regardless of standings) after the big vote?

edit: typo
Last edited by effigy on Mar 2nd '09, 21:04, edited 1 time in total.
Thank the sun that went nova so that Earth could have iron and silicon.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

goran wrote:ukimalefu, can you do both? [MAngry]
I was thinking about doing just that. I'll email all 3 when they're done, and post the remaining 2 here. I want the comments and/or critics. I'd also like to hear what other people come up with.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Alrighty, you can post your music here for input and comments, but send the final copies to my email.

effigy, after the end of the contest, all the entries will be released in some way or another. Don't worry. [MGrin]
goran
Vidmaster

effigy wrote:I do like to share, collaborate and such, but posting your competitive piece in a competition where originality and creativity are scored seems counter productive to me.
Do you have any experience you want share with us about competition, that would support your claim? Otherwise I think you should try it, and see if it really hurts the competition. Nothing beats the answer reality gives to us IMO.

I gonna stop being mr dickhead and mr smart [MLaugh]

but sincerly, I'm curious why you think it's counter productive.
Last edited by goran on Mar 3rd '09, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Yes, please save Mr. Dickhead for the privacy of your bedroom, though, I'll welcome Mr. Smart to stick around and chat. [MLaugh] I was wondering if what I said would strike a chord[sic] (though not my intention); The Thug's cool with it, and he's running the show, so I'm not going to be that worried about it.

but since you ask:

the act of competing, rivalry for supremacy

I'll emphasize another part of that sentence:
effigy wrote:a competition where originality and creativity are scored
Simply put: I don't understand how a piece could be considered unique or original after being subject to community review and comment on another piece, because that gives the opportunity to improve this based on that. Nothing too special about that theory I don't think. Until The Thug's follow up post I didn't get the impression this was to be a group effort, thus my comment.

Perhaps you're thinking that a group effort will yield a better end result? I think that's true, but that's less like competition and more like collaboration to me.

edit: typo
Last edited by effigy on Mar 3rd '09, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
goran
Vidmaster

Thanks for explaining it further effigy. I can relate, it'd be sucky if someone rips you off and wins. IMO it's not such a big deal though, since each user can choose if he wants to post his tracks here or not.
Last edited by goran on Mar 3rd '09, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
effigy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Just a little further, now: If you post yours, and I don't post mine, don't I have an advantage?

I guess the question that matters is, does anyone think that's anything to worry about? I'm guessing not. I don't think there's a whole lot of people left around here that feel the need to push and shove, but that was my 2 cents.

I'm sure this will be cool, and next one even better.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yeah man, just keep the music coming! :)
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Music sent (please confirm)
Last edited by ukimalefu on Mar 7th '09, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yeah I got your music. :)

A few notes:

- Please make sure your songs loop well. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I'm not going to beat each level within 1-4 minutes every time I play them. (Sorry for any inconvenience ukimalefu. I just realized now that the looping may be an issue)
- Just because you email your songs to me doesn't mean you can't edit them. You can email me edited songs as much as you like, but the last email I receive will be the one that gets judged.

Sorry for the added notes; I just realized I hadn't posted them earlier. These are also posted in the first post under Additional Notes.
Last edited by The Thug on Mar 7th '09, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

You mean a "seamless" loop? Is that really necessary?

I mean, for me it's ok if the music ends before you complete a level, or if they loop as they are, starting over and over again with a small gap between them.

But, ok, a continuos loop of music is an option too...

I'll look into it.
The Thug
Vidmaster

It doesn't have to be a seamless loop, but I would like it if the songs are "loopable". A few second pause after each song would be good, so the end of the song doesn't "run into" the beginning of the song.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've decided I like mine as they are.

However, at the end, if people ask nicely [MGrin] , I'll post the Garageband files so they can change them around as they please (If Windows and Linux users can't use those, I'm sorry).
Last edited by ukimalefu on Mar 8th '09, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Okay, I've almost finished my first two songs, and I'll start on the third sometime this week. I'll post an unfinished version of my first song here now, but I probably won't send any finished versions (or the other songs, most likely) to anyone but thug.

So, here's my first song so far:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/616960/Waterloo%204.mp3

I still need to fix the mixing and some of the synth models, and I'll probably change some other minor details, but nothing major should change between this and the final version.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Awesome, there are 2 people entering so far! More than I thought would enter. :)