Marathon Mayhem 4

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

hm... i really dont care, cus ill probably end up lozing in teh first round.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Morpfhilator
Spazeroid

The Thug wrote:Ok, registration ends today. I'm still trying to figure out the brackets so I'm making a poll:

1) Randomly rate the players
2) Use the order they joined for ranking them
3) Try to rate each person myself

I'd prefer to do #1, but what do you guys think?
#1 looks good.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

Sign me up. I probably won't do so good this time around, I've been out of practice. It's been at least a year :-/ Still, I'll go for it.

EDIT: Oshi, just noticed your little "two please", which makes me number 3. If it's a huge hassle I can drop out, no worries. [MTongue]
Last edited by Phortiphy on May 23rd '09, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

YEAH JEEZ PFHORTIPFHY WAY TO RUIN IT!

jk, w/e. lol
D?rovací tvá?í.
eliasj
Cyborg

Ideally, one way to do it would be to have a round (or two) of pools (maybe five-person games) to give ranks to individual players based on their performance, but we don't have time for that. I have no problem with #1 and it's the easiest to execute. So maybe rank everyone randomly into a 64-person bracket and give the "top" 14 (or whatever) people byes.
Durability
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

The Thug, this may be nitpicking about the maps, but...
Shouldn't every round be the same map? For consistency? That way you get to pick and choose and thus get to pick the best maps there are.

Also, this tourney is 1v1? Makes sense, but, well, fuck. I personally do best in large games where I can screw with people. Whatever, no changing that now :-/
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

First off, there are 7 maps per round. If each round were played with the same 7 maps, wouldn't it get a bit boring? There are definitely more than 7 good dueling maps out there. Right now, I have 56 maps lined up for 8 rounds. Most of those maps are good for dueling, but a few stretch it a bit.

OK, registration is finally over! There are 50 players participating. I'm going to randomly seed everyone and then I'll post the brackets on Friday. The "top" 14 players will get BYEs though. If you are one of those 14, lucky you, but you don't get to play the first round.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Phortiphy
Vidmaster

I meant... oh! So, there are 7 games played, and the victor moves up a bracket? Oh, that makes more sense. When you said round I thought that you meant bracket-teir, i.e. first round with everyone, second with half the people, etc. Whatever, carry on :P
Can't speel for hist.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Alright, I've gone ahead and posted the brackets, so you guys can start your games now. Just read the news and review the rules again. There are 2 weeks per round and the following players get BYEs as they were the randomly chosen top 14:

- spanky, thermoplyae, trisroxx, Shotgun Killer, SquareMilk, GrimCleaver, Argos, Lh'owon, Hscout, Soulblighter, Jim, pointerelkins, Vigilante, and Ares Ex Machina.

Good luck!
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

14 byes, what the heck.

Wouldn't a round robin be a little more practical?
Marathoner325
Cyborg

I went to the brackets section, saved the image to my desktop, zoomed in, and there's no way I could possibly make out what they're supposed to say:
[attachment=2776:Picture_1.png]
Attachments
Picture_1.png
Picture_1.png (116.11 KiB) Viewed 11486 times
The Thug
Vidmaster

A round robin could work, but there are 50 players. That would take a while, longer that a double elimination tournament for sure. I really didn't expect this many players to join though. Originally I was shooting for 20-30, but got twice that. 50 players in a double elimination tournament doesn't work out perfectly like a 64 player or a 32 player bracket. I figure it is easier to get the BYEs over with in the beginning then to hand out a couple BYEs every 2 weeks.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Also you do realize there should be 18 byes, not 14... right? It goes 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. Unless I'm mistaking something, you have 36 players and you still need to let 4 more go.

Anyway, you're going to need to hand out byes like candy even up to the last round.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Marathoner325 wrote:there's no way I could possibly make out what they're supposed to say
Ok, I've provided a link to a better quality version of the image. I'll post it on the actual Bracket page later.
RyokoTK wrote:Also you do realize there should be 18 byes, not 14... right? It goes 2, 4, 8, 16, 32. Unless I'm mistaking something, you have 36 players and you still need to let 4 more go.
The way I have it set up right now, there will be 14 byes during Round 1. Those 14 plus the 18 winners who actually played in Round 1 will make up the 32 Top bracket players for Round 2. From then on the Top Bracket will have no byes. The 18 losers of Round 1 though, will go to the Bottom Bracket. Right now, the bracket shows that the byes moved to the bottom bracket which means there will be 14 byes in Round 2. 14 byes total is a bit much I agree, but 28 total is uncalled for. I guess I can try to eliminate most of the byes because the tournament doesn't officially start until May 30th.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

ohoho, I see it now

guess I could pay attention in the future
thermoplyae
Mjolnir Mark IV

so uh how are we supposed to get in touch with our opponents

-- edit --

and what kind of timeline do we have
Last edited by thermoplyae on May 28th '09, 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
Morphilator
Born on Board

thermoplyae wrote:so uh how are we supposed to get in touch with our opponents
I second that. I see no way to contact my opponent.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

yeah... i dont know who my opponent is, besides his name
D?rovací tvá?í.
goran
Vidmaster

Let me introduce an idea to you. Look up his account in this thread and send a pm or mail to him (if he has an account on the pfhorums).
Last edited by goran on May 29th '09, 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
VirtualX1
Cyborg

I unfortunately cannot make it because I have a band concert tommorrow.

Consider this as a forfeit.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
eliasj
Cyborg

VirtualX1 wrote:I unfortunately cannot make it because I have a band concert tommorrow.

Consider this as a forfeit.
You have two whole weeks to play your seven maps.
Durability
The Thug
Vidmaster

Yeah, most of the players are members of the pfhorums, so you can contact them through pm or email. Hopefully all the players remember they signed up for a tournament. :O

VirtualX1, did you even sign up? I don't think you are on the player list.

I've posted the revised bracket on the site. This time I actually made a 50 player bracket rather than fitting 50 players into a 64 player bracket. For both the top and bottom bracket there is 1 bye each round for 3 or 4 rounds. The player who gets the most kills from the previous round receives the bye for that round. Please note that the bottom bracket has more matches than the top bracket, so after the 1st Round, there will be 3 weeks to play each match for the Top Bracket and 1.5 weeks for each match in the Bottom bracket. I also added a few more rules that you guys should check out.
treellama
Vidmaster

Well, I'll bet you just screwed up a lot of people who already played their first matches.
The Thug
Vidmaster

I certainly hope not. The first bracket was posted 2 days ago, and I said it wasn't the final bracket.
RyokoTK
Vidmaster

Why did you even post a bracket then.