Marathon Mayhem 4

Marathon related contests and tournaments.

Post May 14th '09, 20:35

If it is not to late then sign me up
SimPilot
SimPilot

Post May 14th '09, 21:18

juat noting, i will be named XTC when playing :D
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post May 15th '09, 11:27

You got any maps in mind that you're going to use for the tournament?
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post May 15th '09, 20:30

Sounds like a nice ID-ah, and suppose it would be great to get in under the wire. [spnkr]
thuprtankr

Post May 15th '09, 21:01

Grayswandir wrote:You got any maps in mind that you're going to use for the tournament?

Currently I'm making a list of a lot of maps I might use. Since each round will have 7 maps and right now there will be 8 or 9 rounds, there will be 56 or 63 maps total. Please note that since this is a 1vs1 tournament there will be some stock maps. Do not worry though, there will only be 2 or 3 and they will be the more tolerable ones. :)
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post May 15th '09, 22:12

The Thug wrote:Currently I'm making a list of a lot of maps I might use. Since each round will have 7 maps and right now there will be 8 or 9 rounds, there will be 56 or 63 maps total. Please note that since this is a 1vs1 tournament there will be some stock maps. Do not worry though, there will only be 2 or 3 and they will be the more tolerable ones. :)

I might be misunderstanding how this is gonna work, but why are you going to need 56-63 maps? Shouldn't there only be one map per Round? To make it fair and put everyone on "even" playing ground, everyone should play the same map for each round, right? Or are you saying there are 7 possible maps for each Round and one will be chosen randomly?
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post May 15th '09, 23:48

Each round will consist of 7 maps, so it's a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL playoffs. It wouldn't be fun for the people who signed up and then lose both rounds and end up only playing 2 games. That's only 10 minutes of Marathon action, not nearly enough time to fully enjoy the tournament. With the best 4 out of 7, each player plays a minimum of 14 games, which is much better than only 2 games.

Notice: By tomorrow sometime I'll update the rules and will post the maps for the first round. Currently I'm thinking of capping the player limit to 48 players. What do you guys think?

The Thug

Post May 16th '09, 07:48

If you're going end every match after 5 minutes it's possible to get a tie. I want you to be aware of this so the problem doesn't pop up in the middle of the tournament.

goran

Post May 17th '09, 00:39

Check the rules section on the main site: A match consists of 7 games, so its a best 4 out of 7 series. Each game is 5 minutes, so each round is 35 minutes. I hope that clarifies any confusion.

UPDATE: Check the main site.
Last edited by The Thug on May 17th '09, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

The Thug

Post May 17th '09, 12:50

The Thug, you'll run into problems with a bracket tournament when the number of players are not 2^n.

For instance, with 48 players, the winner bracket will eventually arrive at 3 players in one round, and so does the loser bracket. In one way or another, things will get sketchy in the bracket when you approach the later rounds. The only way I see to solve this is to either:

A. give away an auto win to one player when there's an uneven number of players in one round.
B. let all three players play against each other, AvsB, AvsC, and BvsC, and then let the two best players go to the next round.

Ideally, the best thing would be to get 64 players for the tournament, or limit it to 32 (which will not be popular). Since you might not get 64 players, I ask you to figure out in foresight how to solve the above problem of three players in one round.
Last edited by goran on May 17th '09, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

goran

Post May 17th '09, 14:39

Yeah, I have realized this problem. Initially I was going to cap the player limit at 32 because I figured there weren't going to be that many people participating anyway. But then to my surprise, a lot of people popped out of nowhere and signed up. I figured that was pretty cool and thought at that rate 64 players would sign up easily. But now that hope is looking pretty grim.

The reason I want to cap it at 48 players is because it eliminates the unbalanced bracket count until the last round or so. Going with your option A, the player who loses will probably feel cheated. I played in a pick-up chess tournament about a month ago and I got 2 BYE rounds in a row for some reason. There were 6 or 7 players I think and it was a Round-Robin tournament. But I was ticked off because I wanted to play some chess games and not sit back and get BYEs half the time. So your option B looks like the way to go. When it gets to that round, I can extend the playing period by a week to ensure all 3 players get to play their 2 rounds.

The Thug

Post May 17th '09, 17:19

Hey, only 22 more players to hit 64. How about advertising it on forums.bungie.org/story?

goran

Post May 17th '09, 19:02

I would like to sign up.
Morpfhilator

Post May 18th '09, 00:11

The Thug wrote:Each round will consist of 7 maps, so it's a best 4 out of 7 series like the NHL playoffs. It wouldn't be fun for the people who signed up and then lose both rounds and end up only playing 2 games. That's only 10 minutes of Marathon action, not nearly enough time to fully enjoy the tournament. With the best 4 out of 7, each player plays a minimum of 14 games, which is much better than only 2 games.

Wouldn't it be easier to just play all 7 games on one map and change maps between rounds? This way you don't have to look for 56+ maps that will be good for 1 vs. 1 duels.
The Pf'hak - Read it.

LegacyTyphoon

Post May 18th '09, 00:16

That would be easier, but that's not as exciting. Plus, I have the maps set up for the first 8 rounds anyways.

The Thug

Post May 19th '09, 00:50

Gimme some buwwets, I'm going in!!!
Dohnanyi

Post May 19th '09, 20:52

The Thug wrote:Check the rules section on the main site: A match consists of 7 games, so its a best 4 out of 7 series. Each game is 5 minutes, so each round is 35 minutes. I hope that clarifies any confusion.

UPDATE: Check the main site.

I think what he meant is that with a time limit, players could have the same score for a game, which would result in a tie for that particular round. Using the kill/score limit may work better, as it would eliminate the possibility of players tying a round.

$lave

Post May 19th '09, 21:01

$lave wrote:Using the kill/score limit may work better, as it would eliminate the possibility of players tying a round.

No it wouldn't :)

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 19th '09, 21:08

Treellama wrote:No it wouldn't :)

I assumed the kill minute means the game stops after any player gets x number of kills, in which case, unless players reach that limit at the exact same time, there would be no tie. I haven't played with a kill limit in a long time though, so I may not remember correctly how the gametype works.

$lave

Post May 19th '09, 23:20

$lave wrote:I assumed the kill minute means the game stops after any player gets x number of kills, in which case, unless players reach that limit at the exact same time, there would be no tie. I haven't played with a kill limit in a long time though, so I may not remember correctly how the gametype works.

It actually counts down from three seconds once the limit is reached.

+1 Pedantic

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 22nd '09, 23:22

Reminder: Registration ends tomorrow. There are currently 46 players. If 2 more join the brackets would be much easier to manage.

The Thug

Post May 22nd '09, 23:30

meh, why not. I know ill get raped, but o well.
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post May 23rd '09, 07:48

Aw, what the hell. Sign me up. I'm gettin too old for this shit....

Ares Ex Machina

Post May 23rd '09, 13:30

lol, nice. "I'm gettin too old for this shit"
D?rovací tvá?í.

Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.

tehWastedJamacan
SuFu, SD

Post May 23rd '09, 18:22

Ok, registration ends today. I'm still trying to figure out the brackets so I'm making a poll:

1) Randomly rate the players
2) Use the order they joined for ranking them
3) Try to rate each person myself

I'd prefer to do #1, but what do you guys think?

The Thug

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Tournaments