M2 Groove Session III

Marathon related contests and tournaments.
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

Cool your lotuses, Silent Walrus, all will be revealed.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

C'mon thug. This is ridiculous. two and a half months from the due date and nothing.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Dugit
Vidmaster

*ahem*

*AHEM*
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications
Marathoner325
Cyborg

I think it's obvious Thug's not going to be updating us anytime soon?just 4GET about it.
The Thug
Vidmaster

MGSIII Results/Release: The Garrison Album

Ye of little faith. I didn't feel like making a new topic for the results, so here they are.

Overall Scores:

ukimalefu -- 201/210
WastedJamacan -- 116/210
SynthNinja -- 68/210

ukimalefu -- 201/210

There is no try:
Nice arrangement of instruments. It's a bit high-paced for this level maybe. I would have used a slower tempo to fit the environment of entering a Pfhor temple. But even so, the track keeps rolling and isn't very repetitive. Well done.

Interpretation: 17/20 Musicality: 20/20 Creativity: 9/10 Sound Quality: 10/10 Originality: 5/5 Length: 5/5 Total: 66/70

Where are your Gods now?:
This song is more laidback than the previous one. Nuke and Pave is pretty much a level of running around ledges killing pfhor troopers, and this song fits nicely into that more mentally-relaxed environment.

Interpretation: 19/20 Musicality: 20/20 Creativity: 9/10 Sound Quality: 10/10 Originality: 4/5 Length: 5/5 Total: 67/70

7th Door on the Right
:
Curiouser and Curiouser... sucks. I absolutely hate it. Good thing this song doesn't follow in the level's footsteps. The beginning of the song reminded me of sewage slushing around, kind of like when you have your boots on and are trying to move against the current of a stream. Nice dynamic contrast, there were very soft parts followed by crescendos or moderately loud sections. The overall feel of the song definitely matches the eerieness of this level. Creeeepy.

Interpretation: 19/20 Musicality: 20/20 Creativity: 9/10 Sound Quality: 10/10 Originality: 5/5 Length: 5/5 Total: 68/70

SynthNinja -- 68/210

Light & Shadow:
This song was pretty laid-back, but still had a driving pulse to it. The choice of instruments definitely fit the setting of a pfhor temple. The tone was mystical but still had some excitement. Some parts were a bit repetitive, but while playing a first person shooter, I doubt it will be noticed. I believe this is the lengiest song so far! Well done.

Interpretation: 20/20 Musicality: 19/20 Creativity: 9/10 Sound Quality: 10/10 Originality: 5/5 Length: 5/5 Total: 68/70

WastedJamacan -- 116/210

Depress:
This song sounded kind of cheesy, not really fit for a first person shooter. Musically, it was mostly monotone or ditone. The beginning was ok, but the ending came pretty abruptly and definitely sounded like the end, not being very loopable. It did have some up and downs dynamically though. Nice try.

Interpretation: 10/20 Musicality: 8/20 Creativity: 8/10 Sound Quality: 9/10 Originality: 5/5 Length: 3/5 Total: 43/70

Toll:
Again, monotone and not very exciting. The belltone in the background was a nice effect, but I'm not sure how it fits with Nuke and Pave. Just not fit for a high paced video game. Maybe a funeral?

Interpretation: 8/20 Musicality: 6/20 Creativity: 4/10 Sound Quality: 9/10 Originality: 2/5 Length: 5/5 Total: 34/70

Why:
Somewhat interesting melody, but still the monotone sounds is killer. There is a long silence at the end which breaks up the playbacks of the song. If there were no aleins in this level, this piece would make a bit more sense.

Interpretation: 9/20 Musicality: 10/20 Creativity: 6/10 Sound Quality: 7/10 Originality: 3/5 Length: 4/5 Total: 39/70

This competition was a disappointment compared to MGSI and MGSII, but still produced some quality songs. I hope more people will participate in MGSIV, for which I'll be posting the rules shortly. You can download the Garrison Album on Simplici7y. Bust out your music player and add these songs to the list TODAY!

Again, the 3 songs from this album that will be included in the M2 Soundtrack are:

Light & Shadow -- 68/70 -- by SynthNinja
Where are your Gods now? -- 67/70 -- by ukimalefu
7th Door on the Right -- 68/70 -- by ukimalefu

Thanks for all who participated! Stay tuned.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
tehWastedJamacan
Vidmaster

On the monotone, in my defence, that's kinda what midis are limited to. But, at the same time, that's what I get for using midis. Once I [legally obtain] Sony Acid, I can actually make real songs.

EDIT: Oh yes, and thanks for finally posting this.
Last edited by tehWastedJamacan on Dec 9th '09, 04:31, edited 1 time in total.
D?rovací tvá?í.
Fobo: I find it hard to keep a sentence down under two paragraphs.
Shadowbreaker
Vidmaster

Maybe next contest I will try my hand at making music! I have never made a listenable song before, and I am limited to Garageband and a bit of experience. We'll just have to see :)
envy
Mjolnir Mark IV

We should start the next one tomorrow.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Excellent. Thanks for finally putting this up!
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I can't open the download, I get an error "operation not permited"
Dugit
Vidmaster

Same.

$lave

ukimalefu wrote:I can't open the download, I get an error "operation not permited"
Try using stuffit expander to unarchive it.
The Thug
Vidmaster

Dugit wrote:Excellent. Thanks for finally putting this up!
Yes, I waited patiently for the peak in excitement.

I'm sorry you can't open it ukimalefu. Like $lave said, I would download Stuffit Expander. You have been able to download the previous albums though, right?

I'll post rules for MGSIV within a week. I'm thinking about adding a twist, so stay tuned.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.
Dugit
Vidmaster

Using Stuffit works. Thanks, $lave.

ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Dugit wrote:Using Stuffit works. Thanks, $lave.
It didn't for me.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

I downloaded it, AGAIN, with iGetter, and was able to open it with Stuffit.

Something is really fucked up. The problem is in the Thug's or Simplici7y's side.

I never have problems with any kind of file downloaded with many different apps.
ukimalefu
Mjolnir Mark IV

Ok, Light and shadow is very good.

----