Game Music

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Sep 27th '11, 22:55

Recently I've seen a Gears of War 3 commercial and I really like the song that they chose for the commercial. Here is the song: Mazzy Star - Into Dust

Some games have really good music in them, like Marathon :), or have good music that is used to promote them. Does anyone have any others?
Last edited by brilliant on Sep 27th '11, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Sep 28th '11, 00:07

I wouldn't call Marathon's music really good...

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Sep 28th '11, 02:13

Sure. I don't often listen to music for its own sake; I usually hear music as part of something else, like a game. So much of the music I like, I like in part because I associate it with the game or other media. The more I think about it, I've never run into a case where I loved a game but hated its music. Anyway, two that come to mind are Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Otto Matic.

Crater Creator

Post Sep 28th '11, 03:02

Well, echoing Treellama, I don't really enjoy the music from Marathon.

You are looking for good music that is used to promote games but is not necessarily from the game? Well then, I opt to nominate Starcraft II, who uses the always cinematic Audiomachine collection. You might also remember it from the Avatar (movie) trailer.

Or Crysis 2 and its take on a more popular song. It reminds me a lot of the Gears of War "Mad World" trailer, which I think was the audience they were trying to attract.

Or how about this trailer for Bulletstorm, which parodies the popular Halo trailer with the figurines and also vies for the same audience.

Or Battlefield 2142's awesome theme song.

Or you could go for more tropicoflaire, though this song is probably in the game.

Yeah, I've chosen more recent games, I've kind of forgotten the advertising that made me buy older games. (And yes, I do love my FPSes)
Last edited by Zott on Sep 28th '11, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Sep 28th '11, 05:26

I've always really liked the soundtracks of Cave Story and Candy Crisis, and there are a few bits of music in Knytt/Knytt Stories that I really like. I'm pretty sure there are also some tracks from old snes and gameboy games I like, but nothing really comes to mind immediately.

$lave

Post Sep 28th '11, 06:05

Crater Creator wrote:Sure. I don't often listen to music for its own sake; I usually hear music as part of something else, like a game. So much of the music I like, I like in part because I associate it with the game or other media. The more I think about it, I've never run into a case where I loved a game but hated its music. Anyway, two that come to mind are Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Otto Matic.

:O

Pangea Software games have awesome soundtracks.

I've always been a Martin O'Donnell fan (Halo Soundtracks). I dabble in some other stuff, but most games nowadays tend to make themselves just loud and actiony, a la Hans Zimmer (I like some of his music, but the majority of it is recycled as hell; I've been able to connect The Dark Knight with Pearl Harbor and Inception and Crimson Tides. Ridiculous. Hans Zimmer is relevant because he made Modern Warfare 2's soundtrack, which has a couple of good themes. Which are then recycled to no end.

Paul

Post Sep 28th '11, 22:07

listener

Post Sep 28th '11, 22:54

The Portal song is cool.

The first Descent had some cool music.

As did Battle Girl.

But the best music in games wasn't actually "game music", it was real music included in the Tony Hawk and Gran Turismo games.

ukimalefu

Post Sep 29th '11, 00:03

I have some songs from a couple old games that I like:
  • The Marathon Trilogy (of course)
  • HeXen
  • Shadow Wraith
  • Descent
  • Tubular Worlds (incomplete) :(
And these are for nostalgia really:
  • Mantra
  • Power Pete
I add more as I go along. I'd like to add the Myst soundtracks when I get around to searching.

I also have music from several third-party Marathon scenarios. These include:
  • Trojan
  • Eternal X
  • Evil (theme song)
  • RED (theme song)
  • Rubicon X (theme song)
  • Tempus Irae (theme song)
  • Marathon And Beyond (theme song; actually not that good :P)
  • M1A1 Special Edition (Just the Fat Man remix)
  • M2 Special Edition
  • Squadron
  • Phoenix
  • Aeon
And many more to come, hopefully! :)
Last edited by President People on Sep 29th '11, 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
Love Marathon, and also play Doom on modern source ports? You might like these skins!

President People

Post Sep 29th '11, 01:50

President People wrote:[/list]I add more as I go along. I'd like to add the Myst soundtracks when I get around to searching.

Myst, the Soundtrack. Never understood why they went in the ambient direction for Riven.
Image Image

interion

Return to Chat