Is Boards of Canada actually going to release an album?

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

New BoC rumors. Again.

Just over a year ago Boards of Canada posted a black box on their site in the discog section, which they did before releasing their previous album.

A month or two ago this was posted on their wall:

Warp confirmed that they were working on stuff, but that nothing was officially being planned.

Recently newcleardawn.com was purchased by "Hexagon Sun" (or something like that; it's kind of confusing) and around the same time the image for the BoC section of warp.net switched to a picture of a nuclear explosion.

So maybe they're going to release a new album after their infamous 7 year hiatus. Still trying to decide if there is actually going to be a new album of if it's BoC messing with us again. I called bullshit at first, but now I'm starting to wonder.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

For anyone who doesn't know them, Boards of Canada:

http://youtu.be/yT0gRc2c2wQ

http://youtu.be/F7bKe_Zgk4o?t=1m7s

It's the band that made the album that is $lave's avatar.
$lave

I really hope they release something at some point, even if it's just an "official" release of old tunes, or re-issues of the pre-twoism releases (yeah right). Lately I've just been passively following Twoism/WATMM every once in awhile incase anything new pops up, but I haven't been expecting much lately. It would be a shame if they scrapped whatever plans/new material they might have, though.
Last edited by $lave on May 22nd '12, 04:33, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

The BoC subforum on WATMM is the most depressing thing ever. I assume they're going to release something eventually, since Warp confirmed that they are, in fact, working on stuff.

At any rate, I don't listen to nearly enough BoC. I bought Geogaddi for five bucks at a used records store, but I didn't listen to it much because...well, because I don't know. The short ambient songs on that album are amazing; Dandelion is my personal favorite (the sample is apparently Leslie Neilsen). The problem is that at the moment I'm way too preoccupied with Death Grips to listen to much of anything else.
Last edited by gmanyo on May 24th '12, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

gmanyo wrote:The problem is that at the moment I'm way too preoccupied with Death Grips to listen to much of anything else.
I've been meaning to try getting into Death Grips since they released Exmilitary, but kind of forgot about them. From what I've heard, I think I prefer Exmilitary to The Money Store. As far as hiphop goes I've mostly been listening to Madvillain lately.

EDIT: Get Got is awesome.
Last edited by $lave on Jun 30th '12, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:I've been meaning to try getting into Death Grips since they released Exmilitary, but kind of forgot about them. From what I've heard, I think I prefer Exmilitary to The Money Store. As far as hiphop goes I've mostly been listening to Madvillain lately.

EDIT: Get Got is awesome.
Yeah, Get Got is a great song; the lyrics are really good, too. Great imagery. I can't tell which album I like more.

If I go for hip hop I usually go for Prefuse 73 or Dabrye or J Dilla (or Death Grips, obviously). The electronica style stuff. If you haven't yet you should check out this Japan charity compilation. It's got tons of great music, including stuff from Autechre and Luke Vibert. 5+ hours of music for 11 bucks.

Madvillain is one of those guys I hear about a lot but haven't listened to much. Listening right now, it's pretty sweet. There's this random underground band called Kill the Vultures I found who sound fucking sweet.

Do you like Odd Future or Tyler much? I personally love Earl Sweatshirt's rap over the Drop beat.
$lave

gmanyo wrote:Yeah, Get Got is a great song; the lyrics are really good, too. Great imagery. I can't tell which album I like more.

If I go for hip hop I usually go for Prefuse 73 or Dabrye or J Dilla (or Death Grips, obviously). The electronica style stuff. If you haven't yet you should check out this Japan charity compilation. It's got tons of great music, including stuff from Autechre and Luke Vibert. 5+ hours of music for 11 bucks.

Madvillain is one of those guys I hear about a lot but haven't listened to much. Listening right now, it's pretty sweet.
I should listen to Dabrye, never have. If you like J Dilla and are enjoying Madvillain (Madlib + MF Doom), then you should check out Jaylib (Madlib + J Dilla), Champion Sound specifically if you haven't already listened. The Japan Compilation is great.

Do you like Odd Future or Tyler much? I personally love Earl Sweatshirt's rap over the Drop beat.
I haven't listened to much of Goblin, but I used to listen to Radical a fair amount. I've had really mixed feelings about Odd Future/Tyler since people started taking the whole "swag" thing seriously and killed anything even remotely funny about it. I'll probably pick something up by them again at some point to see how I feel about it, but recently I've felt like they're a bit too gimmicky (albeit genuinely talented).
There's this random underground band called Kill the Vultures I found who sound fucking sweet.
This is awesome, thanks for sharing. For some reason sonically they reminded me of Zoviet France who you might like. No vocals though, just experimental/ambient music.
L'howon
Vidmaster

Probably the only dudes that will appreciate this
Le Diktat - Deleter
French Industrial/Instrumental Hip-Hop.
I have been wading in a long river and my feet are wet.
$lave

Lh wrote:Probably the only dudes that will appreciate this
Le Diktat - Deleter
I do love me some good industrial, cool. It reminds me of some of the more industrial stuff that TommyT-Bone made however many years ago, as Feedback Junkies.

More on the BoC + Marathon side of things, Tycho, if you don't already know him.
Last edited by $lave on Jul 11th '12, 06:35, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

$lave wrote:For some reason sonically they reminded me of Zoviet France who you might like. No vocals though, just experimental/ambient music.
That Zoviet France stuff is sweet! Very different, and not super tonal. Reminds me of Wolfgang Voigt, who I have planned on getting into for awhile but never got around to it (too busy listening to Death Grips and chillwave music lol).
Lh wrote:Probably the only dudes that will appreciate this
Le Diktat - Deleter
This is pretty cool. Could use some better mixing in my opinion. Their other songs are also a bit too...loopy? Like, they sound too much like loops put together, and not in an intentional way like with Oneohtrix Point Never or The Field. I like the industrial hip hop vibe, though; not something I've heard elsewhere much.

You might like Whitehouse (Irons introduced me to them, oddly enough). Very noisy industrial music.
$lave wrote:More on the BoC + Marathon side of things, Tycho, if you don't already know him.
I think Tycho is coming to my town soon, although he might've already played. I was thinking about going.

As far as BoC-like things go, I think the best and most original thing out there that bears some semblance to them right now is Oneohtrix Point Never, although more his older stuff than his newer stuff (the link in response to Lh'owon is one of his newer songs). Rifts is one of my top 5 albums ever. Also check out his song Behind the Bank.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

lol, turns out the show is in less than an hour, my friend just called and invited me, totally going
edit:
Pretty good show. Hadn't heard much of them before; sounded to me like an up-beat version of Boards of Canada. Small venue, got to talk to the guys afterwards.
Last edited by gmanyo on Jul 18th '12, 05:24, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Cool, I look forward to seeing what a new Zoviet France release is like.
gmanyo wrote:lol, turns out the show is in less than an hour, my friend just called and invited me, totally going
edit:
Pretty good show. Hadn't heard much of them before; sounded to me like an up-beat version of Boards of Canada. Small venue, got to talk to the guys afterwards.
Awesome :D I agree that they're like an "up-beat" BoC, which unfortunately lumps them into the group of artists who I generally ignore in favour of BoC.

gmanyo wrote:As far as BoC-like things go, I think the best and most original thing out there that bears some semblance to them right now is Oneohtrix Point Never, although more his older stuff than his newer stuff (the link in response to Lh'owon is one of his newer songs). Rifts is one of my top 5 albums ever. Also check out his song Behind the Bank.
I like Oneohtrix Point Never a lot, both Rifts and Returnal are great. Reminds me of some of Tim Hecker's work, particularly Harmony in Ultraviolet which has some of my favourite ambient tracks (Chimeras and Harmony in Blue III in particular.)
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I think I'm going to go see Purity Ring as long as the tickets don't sell out before I get to 'em. They're kind of witch house, kind of not.

http://youtu.be/9tuKkeQDSek

edit:
$lave wrote:which unfortunately lumps them into the group of artists who I generally ignore in favour of BoC.
lol yes

edit 2:
irons get your ass in this topic i know you like cool music you showed me whitehouse
Last edited by gmanyo on Aug 13th '12, 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

gmanyo wrote:I think I'm going to go see Purity Ring as long as the tickets don't sell out before I get to 'em. They're kind of witch house, kind of not.
Same! They're coming here in September, and on a night when I don't have any morning classes the next day. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of their album yet, but I've been following the singles from it since around Lofticries.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I love the music video for that song. Generally I dislike sample based music videos, but that one hits the nail on the head. It's all from Thriller: A Cruel Picture.
L'howon
Vidmaster

$lave wrote:Same! They're coming here in September, and on a night when I don't have any morning classes the next day. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of their album yet, but I've been following the singles from it since around Lofticries.
Shrines is one of the best albums this year.

Also, turntable.fm's Ambient Chillout and Trip-Hop room is a great place to idle and listen to new/good music in BoC's (rough) vein.
Last edited by L'howon on Aug 13th '12, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

Do you like witch house or chillwave Lh'owon? This guy is sweet:

http://sunsetcorp.org/
L'howon
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:Do you like witch house or chillwave Lh'owon? This guy is sweet:

http://sunsetcorp.org/
I do, me and some of my friends are majorly into it.

Also found out that Purity Ring is playing near me on September the 25th, I am so excited.
Last edited by L'howon on Aug 17th '12, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
$lave

Sort of on the topic of chillwave, I just came across Airiel. Their stuff is sort of a cross between slowdive-esque shoegaze and "chillwave" or whatever you want to call it. If you don't know them already you might be interested in checking them out.
irons
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:edit 2:
irons get your ass in this topic i know you like cool music you showed me whitehouse
Sorry, avoided this thread because I am no authority on Canada. However, Whitehouse, yeah. Their first album, Vevo Electronics was really far left on the spectrum, or maybe extreme right - atavism and all that - when I first heard it five or so years ago. I thought it was mainly noise. I avoided a lot of their music after that, focusing mainly on "hits" such as "Plug Me In" and "Metal Fingers In My Body." Lately, thanks to interest in noise music I've cultivated for the last few years, I am taking a deeper look into their oeuvre. As far as their albums go, I'm probably most in favor of Avant Hard, which is what it sounds like. More melodic than Vevo but with a lot of unpleasant stuff to tickle the ears. Stand-outs are all over the place: "Barry 7's Contraption," "Buckminster Fuller," "Metal Fingers In My Body," and "Machine Is Bored With Love." Next up is Loud Like Nature. Nature falls closest to "greatest hits" territory and its tracks are much more conventional. We've got "Total All Out Water," "Sheez Mine," "Take Me To Your Leader," and "All Night Lazy." Again, these are probably the most listenable. On The Wires of Our Nerves, which is much closer to Vevo, comes in after that. "Murmur One," "The Black Regent," and "Hit Me" are my favorites. Finally there is Add Insult To Injury, notable to me mainly for "You Must Create" and "Plug Me In."

I lately purchased their hexagonal "Little Black Rocks In the Sun" 12-inch. This one goes to the extreme, producing noise that fully justifies the obsolete analog format. As a YouTube commenter says, the sounds are terrifying at some points - but excellent.

I guess you could say I'm a decent Whitehouse fan.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps
$lave

UPDATE: Went to Purity Ring last night. Absolutely friggin' awesome. Evian Christ and Headaches opened for them, both of whom are great, although Evian Christ's sampler shat out near the end of his set and he had to end early. Purity Ring was one of if not the coolest show I've been to.

EDIT: Also how awesome does this sound.
Last edited by $lave on Sep 14th '12, 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

$lave wrote:UPDATE: Went to Purity Ring last night. Absolutely friggin' awesome. Evian Christ and Headaches opened for them, both of whom are great, although Evian Christ's sampler shat out near the end of his set and he had to end early. Purity Ring was one of if not the coolest show I've been to.

EDIT: Also how awesome does this sound.
Yeah I checked Evian out after I saw he was opening, definitely some good stuff. Cloud Rap's p. cool. I was going to go, but it ended up being on the side of town where you'll get shot so I decided that life is preferable to purity ring.

Been listening to XXYYXX's album, EPRom's Metahuman and Ambassadeur's My World http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYdKml7PO-0

Pretty cool stuff.
Last edited by L'howon on Sep 15th '12, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
gmanyo
Mjolnir Mark IV

I actually had not heard that Until the Quiet Comes sampler. Sounds pretty sweet, although definitely not super different from his previous releases. But I like his previous releases so who cares.

I'm seeing Purity Ring tomorrow night. Hope that they're as good here as they were for you, $lave.

Also new Oneohtrix Point Never EP, which I am in love with.
irons wrote:Sorry, avoided this thread because I am no authority on Canada. However, Whitehouse, yeah. Their first album, Vevo Electronics was really far left on the spectrum, or maybe extreme right - atavism and all that - when I first heard it five or so years ago. I thought it was mainly noise. I avoided a lot of their music after that, focusing mainly on "hits" such as "Plug Me In" and "Metal Fingers In My Body." Lately, thanks to interest in noise music I've cultivated for the last few years, I am taking a deeper look into their oeuvre. As far as their albums go, I'm probably most in favor of Avant Hard, which is what it sounds like. More melodic than Vevo but with a lot of unpleasant stuff to tickle the ears. Stand-outs are all over the place: "Barry 7's Contraption," "Buckminster Fuller," "Metal Fingers In My Body," and "Machine Is Bored With Love." Next up is Loud Like Nature. Nature falls closest to "greatest hits" territory and its tracks are much more conventional. We've got "Total All Out Water," "Sheez Mine," "Take Me To Your Leader," and "All Night Lazy." Again, these are probably the most listenable. On The Wires of Our Nerves, which is much closer to Vevo, comes in after that. "Murmur One," "The Black Regent," and "Hit Me" are my favorites. Finally there is Add Insult To Injury, notable to me mainly for "You Must Create" and "Plug Me In."

I lately purchased their hexagonal "Little Black Rocks In the Sun" 12-inch. This one goes to the extreme, producing noise that fully justifies the obsolete analog format. As a YouTube commenter says, the sounds are terrifying at some points - but excellent.

I guess you could say I'm a decent Whitehouse fan.
haha, yeah, quite a fan. I like "Why You Never Became a Dancer". You listen to Death Grips?
Last edited by gmanyo on Sep 17th '12, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
L'howon
Vidmaster

gmanyo wrote:You listen to Death Grips?
Nice.