Dead Players Drop Items

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Mar 29th '06, 23:38

My friend was playing marathon, and I was helping, and as I always do I turned on dead players drop items. He complained, saying that getting weapons becomes a lottery, and has no honour. However, I disagree. I believe that it is a good thing. It's not a lottery, because if you kill someone you get their weapons. And also, it means that team mates can give weapons to their partners by dying. I just wanted to know what everybody else thinks.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Mar 30th '06, 10:27

I agree, but being blown up with a rocket launcher or being grilled with FlameThrower should drop the weapons.

It look somehow odd...

I think it should be like this, if the player die, whether he equipped himself with any weapon, he will drop only what he was EQUIPPING, and if he was blown up or grilled by anything, then the weapons shouldn't remain...

One thing about doom that I really love though, you can convert the gun for some ammo...
(If you already have the gun, you'll have more ammo instead if you pick up the gun.)

assassingao

Post Mar 31st '06, 00:30

Weapons don't respawn this way. It makes playing difficult and you run out of ammo, as well.
lol butts
poofy

Post Mar 31st '06, 01:15

I personally use it like a funky PM or such: It's fine on occasion, but not as a rule. It adds a different flavor to the games. Of course, this is based on past experience, because I CAN'T PLAY NETGAMES!! AT ALL!! EVEN ON A LAN!!
[/rant]
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Apr 8th '06, 14:13

I really don't care either way, but my problem with it is the lack of ammo. As poofy said, it doesn't respawn.
Destroyer E

Post Jun 19th '06, 07:19

I suppose it's okay because dropping weapons on death is realistic (with the exception of being burned or blown up). It's kind of like The Enforcers. Shoot them, they drop a weapon. Blow them up, no weapon. Also, it would make no sense (in real life) if you punched someone to death who obtained a fancy rocket launcher and not get it.

Player 1: Look at my fancy rocket launcher!

Player 2: Ooooh! I want that gun! Pummel to death.

*P2 kills P1 but doesn't get the rocket launcher*

Player 2: Damn it!

Lugas

Post Jun 19th '06, 07:27

There's also a script I use (for Co-op only...it turns off player vs. player damage...) that when one player picks something up, everyone playing it gets it. Which can be rather useful on those levels that you can't go back in or ones with lots of lava...once you die...just sit there for a couple seconds and your guns drop on you and when you respawn, you have what you died with. :D

But I'd say weapon drop for Co-op only...
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Jun 19th '06, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jun 19th '06, 10:35

But I'd say weapon drop for Co-op only...

Yeah, because on other kind of netgames, it just SUXXOR to either have a pistol or a wholelotsa weapons.

assassingao

Post Jun 19th '06, 13:07

depends on how many guns. I've played levels where everyone can find a huge pile. I agree that it looks realistic, and it rewards the players who kill people. And about burning weapons: have you ever put something metal on a fire? does it burn to a crisp? no. And as for exploding, I don't think it would destroy the weapons... maybe we should make a lua that causes the weapons to have a 10% chance of being destroyed. (shrapnel pierces the barrel, lets say)
Better yet: if you run over guns you already have, you kick them (accidently or on purpose) in all directions, making it harder to find them all at once but easier to find one gun.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jun 19th '06, 17:17

People would start kicking guns into lava.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jun 20th '06, 17:26

People would start kicking guns into lava.

Or the guns would be at the lowest depths of place, since you can't kick it back up.

assassingao

Post Jun 20th '06, 18:49

Just do what other games do: after the guns are dropped by a dying dude, have them time-out and disappear after awhile.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Jun 20th '06, 23:12

I think the guns SHOULD be converted for ammo.

Like what the other games do, of course.

assassingao

Post Jun 21st '06, 00:27

SirBlastalot wrote:Just do what other games do: after the guns are dropped by a dying dude, have them time-out and disappear after awhile.

and reapear at their spawn points, its like a wonderfull mesh of drop and respawn!

Switch
NYC

Post Jun 21st '06, 02:56

This is actually especially bad for SHLYCS coop because when you die, you have to go and try to get back to your pile of weapons, which has proven difficult.
lol butts
poofy

Return to Chat