Star Wars Jedi Knight 1 & 2

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Star Wars Jedi Knight 1 & 2

Post Apr 9th '13, 17:27

For those of you who didn't know, I grew up with Star Wars Dark Forces when I was younger. Best Star Wars game I've ever played. It was a year or two ago that I learned that there was more to the story. It wasn't until now that I decided to check Amazon to see if I was even able to get a copy of the two games. I can get the second game, which I assume will work on a Vista, and I can also get the first either on Amazon or via Steam. Thing is, I don't know which version I should get for the first game. I really would like to play it. The CD version that I can get for about $12 is for Windows 95/98. I'm not fully sure it would work on Vista. The other, on Steam, is in fact for Vista and is $5. The menu and cut-scenes apparently go into window mode (possibly), and I might have to get a patch (apparently) if the 3D looks bad (which would be needed because it would make the game unplayable).

Either way, I'm getting Jedi Knight 2. Pretty sure it'll work (right?). I just want to know whether it's worth playing the first as well. If not, I'll just watch the cut-scenes on Youtube. Money is saved then.

If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
-Destiny
Youtube Channel:Crosstroop3r // Traxus Wiki User Page: Crosstrooper
My Marathon uploads: Destiny

Destiny
USA

Post Apr 10th '13, 02:05

Would you play through the original Dark Forces again? If so you might as well pick up Jedi Knight 1, which most closely resembles Dark Forces with the addition of lightsaber usage and force powers. The plot may be a little cheesy, but no more so than the original Dark Forces. I'd expect the only issues you might encounter are with the menus and cut-scenes as you already mentioned. I'm not sure what the differences are between the boxed and steam version of the game, though I'd guess there aren't any other than that steam is probably using the latest patch.

Jedi Knight 2 is more polished with more features, and you should have no issues running it on a modern computer. Plot-wise there are some references back to Jedi Knight 1, but you wouldn't really miss out on anything if you skipped Jedi Knight 1 and just watched the cutscenes (although I'm guessing you'd probably enjoy JK1).

I'm not sure if you realize, but there are even two more games in the series. Mysteries of the Sith is a spin off from Jedi Knight 1. I own a copy but I don't think I ever did get around to playing it so I can't really give any advice there. Jedi Academy is the sequel to Jedi Knight 2. The single player campaign is pretty awful, but it does have better support for dual and double-edged sabers plus some enhanced force powers and combat moves. Worth it for the multi-player if you are into that.

I thought this topic was going to be about how Raven released the source code for Jedi Knight 2 & Jedi Academy last week after the closing of LucasArts. Not directly related to your inquiry but an interesting side-note at least.

Chocolateer

Post Apr 10th '13, 13:53

Thank you. I've always wanted to go back and play as Kyle Katarn again. I don't mind cheesy. I probably will get JK1 (although, I kind of was anyways). I saw Jedi Knight 2 before JK1, and I'm pretty sure already that it would run on modern computers from a comment from someone saying that it ran great on a Windows 7. I will most likely enjoy both of these games.

I've heard of Mysteries of the Sith and Jedi Academy. Not really interested in the spinoff, and the fact that the single player campaign is awful makes me not want to play it even more. I think single player should be better than multiplayer, in case I can't do multiplayer.

I heard about Raven releasing the source code on Gameinformer. I wonder what modders will do with that. :)

Destiny
USA

Post Apr 12th '13, 07:46

Jedi Outcast was one of my favorite games of that generation. However, I bought Jedi Academy a year or two ago on Steam and it did NOT work under Windows 7. It wouldn't launch, and I was unable to track down the problem. I had to wait until it went to "Steamplay" so I could play it under OS X.

I can't speak to it working on Vista, nor can I speak to the original Jedi Knight. I agree with the general consensus among players that Academy is not as good as Outcast.

With any of these older titles, I would consider and maybe research the state of the online community. The best multiplayer gameplay won't matter if nobody's playing the game online anymore.

Crater Creator

Post Apr 12th '13, 15:44

Yeah. I agree about the multiplayer thing. For the longest time, I never played Marathon online. It wasn't until Aleph One that I finally was able to play with others.

I got both Jedi Knight I & II on Wednesday. I only had time to see the opening for the first Jedi Knight, but I'm pretty sure it'll work. Said it ran on Vista on Steam. I'm getting Jedi Knight II via mail. Suppose to come on Tuesday.

Destiny
USA

Post Apr 14th '13, 17:33

I wonder if we'll ever see any first person Star Wars games anymore. I'm still not sure what direction Disney is going to be taking the series.

Blastfrog

Post Apr 15th '13, 07:20

Oh, we'll see just as many Star Wars games. They just won't be done by LucasArts.

Crater Creator

Post Apr 15th '13, 23:54

Yes, but I meant a first person one. I would kill to see a new game like Jedi Knight 1. Too bad it would probably just end up as an on-rails, 100% scripted CoD clone.

Blastfrog

Return to Chat