Pathways into Darkness on Mac App Store

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Pathways into Darkness on Mac App Store

Post Apr 9th '13, 19:03

Ahead of the 20-year anniversary, Pathways into Darkness has been ported to Mac OS X. Brought to you by Mark Levin and Bruce Morrison, who once again put their classic Bungie knowledge to good use. If you're on a 64-bit Mac running 10.6 or later, get it for free on the Mac App Store. If not, go buy a Mac so you can play it.

Hopper

Post Apr 10th '13, 16:00

That is Awesome squared, pure distilled Awesomeness!!! [MUp] [MUp] [MUp] [MUp] [MUp]

General Tacticus

Post Apr 12th '13, 07:56

Ha ha! My twenty years of waiting until it goes free to play have finally paid off! ;)

Why 64-bit though, I wonder?

Crater Creator

Post Apr 15th '13, 02:46

Probably because 32-bit programs are stuck with the crappy version of the Objective-C runtime and only a very small fraction of the computers that can run 10.6 are 32-bit, so why not take advantage of the extra registers.

Nobody1707

Post Apr 15th '13, 23:52

This must mean they have the source code. Why no Windows version, then?

Blastfrog

Post Apr 16th '13, 02:49

Because haveblue doesn't do Windows.

Hopper

Post Apr 16th '13, 11:17

That explains things. I hope that Bungie would be willing to open the source for the fans. If they did it for Marathon over a decade ago, there should be no problem with releasing an even older game's code even later (unless Activision somehow gets in the way of that).

That reminds me, do we know of the precise behavior of the Marathon 1 build of the Marathon engine? Even from reverse engineering if not being able to see the code itself. AFAIK the M2/MI branch was only ever released.

Blastfrog

Return to Chat