Intel mac

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Jan 27th '06, 06:27

So.. what's the truth about the intel mac...

It looks preity dang good! 2 to 4 times more powerfull than the origional machines! I was astounded!
But some articals claim that the intel thing is still under heavy development and processes certen programs slowly, but certan programs ubberrr fast... so they say, wait till the next edition of the intel mac is released...

but, has there been true talk about dual boot? (like boot osx, or boot windows at will...) and what's so important about the "universal" softwear thing... what exactly is going on, im still flaky on the matter

This question should be for appleswitch cause' he's in the know!

but whatever it is.. It sounds damn powerfull! and Im already savin' up for one of these ass kickers!
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jan 27th '06, 15:13

i'm waiting for the second, or maybe even the third or 4th generation of the intel macs because i want the intel cores to be more developed when i get them and i also need to save a lot of money. hehe.

But yeah, i am pretty sure those benchmarks are not avarage, just the "best they could get"... i mean, they want to show their customers the highest number possible. But still, 2 to 4 times powerful still means that they will be very powerful compared to the G5/G4.

JohannesG

Post Jan 28th '06, 01:40

Well it hasn't helped your spell check...

But they do look cool. I might grab a MacBook before going to college. I'll see how things pan out.
Destroyer E

Post Jan 28th '06, 03:48

My dad got an iMac G5 non-intel computer a while ago, and I love it. It's pretty fast, it has a built in camera and microphone, and looks great. If I got a MacBook Pro, I'd have all that, plus portability, so it seems pretty darn good for me.

The drawbacks are though, is that I can't run classic anymore, and some Rosetta'd programs may run slow... Maybe.

Oh well. It's going to be a while before I can get my own, so it should be improved.
ChauSara

Post Jan 28th '06, 04:40

shongshong wrote:So.. what's the truth about the intel mac...

It looks preity dang good! 2 to 4 times more powerfull than the origional machines! I was astounded!
But some articals claim that the intel thing is still under heavy development and processes certen programs slowly, but certan programs ubberrr fast... so they say, wait till the next edition of the intel mac is released...

but, has there been true talk about dual boot? (like boot osx, or boot windows at will...) and what's so important about the "universal" softwear thing... what exactly is going on, im still flaky on the matter

This question should be for appleswitch cause' he's in the know!
but whatever it is.. It sounds damn powerfull! and Im already savin' up for one of these ass kickers!

As for dual booting, you cant yet but $6000 says you will be able to real soon :D. As for the apps, unless they do extensive work on rosetta (which I vary much doubt will happen) the speeds of emulated apps will not change. As for universal software, heres the story. There are 3 types of apps, powerpc apps run normally in old macs, and under rosetta emulation in the new macs (rosetta is like OS 9, but for the old processor not software), universal apps have been compiled for both powerpc and intel so they run natively in both intel and powerpc macs, and Im assuming once the old macs are long past there will be a third build, for intel only.

ChauSara wrote:My dad got an iMac G5 non-intel computer a while ago, and I love it. It's pretty fast, it has a built in camera and microphone, and looks great. If I got a MacBook Pro, I'd have all that, plus portability, so it seems pretty darn good for me.

The drawbacks are though, is that I can't run classic anymore, and some Rosetta'd programs may run slow... Maybe.

Oh well. It's going to be a while before I can get my own, so it should be improved.

There are already several projects in works for OS 9 for intel, any I think we need to support our followup programs more anyway, hopefully this will add pressure to next generation tool development.

Switch
NYC

Post Jan 28th '06, 05:01

I'm waiting for the Macbook mini myself... Stop saying it won't happen! It will! *laughs hysterically*

I still say switching to Intel was a bad idea, but hey, what can I do...

pakkman781

Post Jan 28th '06, 05:14

Macbook mini :/ thats sounds 100x better than the Macbook sans pro or plain Macbook

Switch
NYC

Post Jan 29th '06, 15:23

What proccesor do the Mactel computers use? I've read in many articles that it is Pentium 4, but then it would have to say "2x slower than the ordinary iMacs," wouldn't it?
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jan 29th '06, 21:57

Pentium 4? hell no, they use the Intel Core Duo

Switch
NYC

Post Jan 30th '06, 20:51

Ah, I see where a lot of the confusion comes from, the Apple Developer Translation kit was Pentium 4, so people assumed the computer would be.

I'm probably going to get one near March break.

*edit* If some of you didn't check around in the $6000 for dual booting comments section, DarwineX or something is being developed, so that might be an alternative of some sort to dual booting.
Last edited by Phsyco_kid on Jan 30th '06, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jan 30th '06, 23:41

I did say it was an alternative.
Last edited by Phsyco_kid on Jan 30th '06, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

-IMDB.com

-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Feb 16th '06, 02:25

tux nice avatard

i plan on buying a new mac
Dieselfame3

Post Feb 17th '06, 10:11

Just tested the A1 nibs dds build on an Intel imac 1.83/512.
Used the dds textures and found the frame rate to be around
12-17 fps using 512 textures on Route 66.
The start up splash screen is also very slow with some music
break up.
shawn(at)fsu: My nephew wants to start doing game modding ...
hux: If he likes Halo, try modding for Marathon, the older Bungie fps game.
interkin3tic: Noooo!!! I did that in high school and look where I am now: SLASHDOT!!!
W: it's long and obnoxious, i like it

Sam Lowry
Adelaide Australia

Post Feb 23rd '06, 19:31

The Alpha One guys will have to make Alpha One a Universal Binary before it runs full speed on Intel Macs. If you are looking to run OS9 apps you can use an app called "sheep shaver" you will need a Mac OS9 install CD I think though.

Illegal methods are also available though
Peachey

Return to Chat