iMac G3 not working

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Jun 20th '06, 23:51

About 2 weeks ago, my iMac g3 stopped working.

It has done this from time to time. But rarely this long. It happens somehow when we turn off the outlet to avoid it being shocked again.

About 4 years ago it was painfully shocked through broadband, wiping its hopes of interent out completely, perhaps other than dialup.

------------------------

Moving on, earlier today, I took it apart to see what that problem was. It was very dusty. So we got rid of some of the dust, and gasp, it still doesnt work.

1. Has anyone experienced this before

2. How do I fix it

3. Dont suggest buy another computer.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jun 21st '06, 00:12

Be a little more descriptive. What happens when you turn it on? If nothing, you're probably out of luck.
Destroyer E

Post Jun 21st '06, 00:34

Destroyer E wrote:Be a little more descriptive. What happens when you turn it on? If nothing, you're probably out of luck.

Second that, try to give us as much info as possible

Switch
NYC

Post Jun 21st '06, 00:34

Is it the slot loading or tray loading? My grandmother had her slot-loading iMac G3 die last year, and after she bought a Mac Mini and gave the old one to me, I never could get it working correctly again, and so just used it for parts...

Perhaps time for some ebaying. You might get a good deal on a Clamshell iBook G3 or something.

pakkman781

Post Jun 21st '06, 01:37

sounds like you are getting electricuted by (?)broadband... so you shut the power fueses to your houses outlets to avoid (?)shocking...

well, I cant help with that information, but I can say, dont flip your power fuses to your house on and off, the surges of electricity go straight to your computers powersuply, and if you do that enough, you can fry it,

like during storms, you probibaly should shut applyances off to avoid outside powersurges etc.. and to not hurt your computer,

Broadband.... I hope you mean internet, or DSL, you cant realy get shocked by a phone line, nore your computer

but im assuming thats the issue
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jun 21st '06, 02:50

Destroyer E wrote:Be a little more descriptive. What happens when you turn it on? If nothing, you're probably out of luck.

appleswitch wrote:Second that, try to give us as much info as possible

You're wrong. Exactly that happened to me last year and it was repaired. I don't know how though, my sister did it. [MTongue]
Last edited by poofy on Jun 21st '06, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.
lol butts
poofy

Post Jun 21st '06, 03:14

noo, your wrong! we dont know the symptoms because its not a very full description!

your argument is not descriptive either (maby you understand what it exactly is, but we dont), how can we learn and fix mistakes with an uncompleted description
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jun 21st '06, 08:37

I was referring to what DE said. When it was turned on, rather, when I tried turning it on, nothing happened.

Honestly, I'm not truly sure if that was exactly what happened. It was doing this last fall.
Last edited by poofy on Jun 21st '06, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
lol butts
poofy

Post Jun 21st '06, 11:55

Well its not exactly in ship shape.

When I press the on button it doesnt work. And I've got irreplaceble maps in there. Not done either. I cant get it serviced either, the nearest applestore is in Nashville, and I'm in Oak Ridge... about 110 miles away

This computers been through alot of shit, and so I dont mind letting it go, but it needs to turn on just once, for me to get everything off of it.

Is there such a thing as forcing it on?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jun 21st '06, 18:50

Do you have another computer, like a G3 tower or a G4 tower you could put the HD from the iMac in? That way you could save your maps.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jun 21st '06, 20:50

Grayswandir wrote:Do you have another computer, like a G3 tower or a G4 tower you could put the HD from the iMac in? That way you could save your maps.

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

You could also get the same model iMac off of eBay or something ($30 - $50, probably) and then swap their HDs.
Destroyer E

Post Jun 22nd '06, 00:59

Shadowbreaker wrote:3. Dont suggest buy another computer.

Im preity shure he said this,

but realy, its time to get somthing thats not g3.. its a tad on the old moldy side
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jun 22nd '06, 02:09

Shadowbreaker wrote:Well its not exactly in ship shape.

When I press the on button it doesnt work. And I've got irreplaceble maps in there. Not done either. I cant get it serviced either, the nearest applestore is in Nashville, and I'm in Oak Ridge... about 110 miles away

This computers been through alot of shit, and so I dont mind letting it go, but it needs to turn on just once, for me to get everything off of it.
Is there such a thing as forcing it on?

Yeah, I live about an hour away from the Nashville Apple Store, and while I'd like to go there again, I'm not sure it's worth the gas...

If you mail me the HDD, I'll recover the data from it, and since we're in the same state, it shouldn't cost too much. You may be just as well getting a new (to you) Mac tho. :|

pakkman781

Post Jun 22nd '06, 02:59

My nearest Apple store is a half hour away. Woo!
lol butts
poofy

Post Jun 22nd '06, 06:05

lol, I dont know if I said this already but, I am within bike riding distance from the Apple head quarters! in cupertino! woo! in your faces all you hoo ha's!

dood, I swear to god, that place is like Willy Wonkas! alot of my freinds have never been in there, only alot of our dads (some workers)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jun 22nd '06, 17:56

shongshong wrote:lol, I dont know if I said this already but, I am within bike riding distance from the Apple head quarters! in cupertino! woo! in your faces all you hoo ha's!

dood, I swear to god, that place is like Willy Wonkas! alot of my freinds have never been in there, only alot of our dads (some workers)

I charge you with the task of stealing the Apple Tablet Prototype, and revealing it to the world!!! Bwahahahahahahha!

pakkman781

Post Jun 22nd '06, 18:41

Well, I suggest taking it to a shop or dealer or something. Ask them to take the hardrive and add a way to connect it with USB or something, so that you can hook it to another computer. Make sure you impress on them the importance of getting thoose files, and not having them deleted.
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Jun 22nd '06, 21:53

poofy wrote:My nearest Apple store is a half hour away. Woo!

I have two Apple stores nearby, each about a 20 minute drive away.

Oh, and I have a car. [MUp]
Last edited by Destroyer E on Jun 22nd '06, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer E

Post Jun 22nd '06, 22:39

DAMN YOU ALL!

*burries head in hand and sobs.*
The only choice you have is the one I've already made for myself. Disappear into the darkness. Then make them fear the shadows.

"Real life, getting in the way of nerds since 1983"
-DcBob

SirBlastalot
Currently marooned on Earth, please assist!

Post Jul 4th '06, 12:09

My nearest Apple store is a half hour away. Woo!

But the apple stores have nothing but Intel Macs. If you try swapping HDs, who knows what'll happen...? But you could just connect the two CPUs together and transfer your data from you G3 iMac to your new one. Also, why would you want the Apple Store if you asked us NOT to suggest buying a new CPU? A different option from Intel Macs would be a G4/G5 in better condition.

Lugas

Post Jul 4th '06, 13:08

I don't really ever go to the Apple store. If I need some computer stuff, I go to CompUSA.
Last edited by poofy on Jul 4th '06, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
lol butts
poofy

Post Jul 14th '06, 23:33

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT WORKS AGAIN! ABSOLUTELY NO THANKS TO ANYONE IN THE IRC ROOM POOFY OR GRAYSWAN!!!

And no data was lost. I tihnk it was just a prolonged hiatus.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 15th '06, 04:48

Why do you keep mentioning my name?
And grammarize your sentences boy!!!
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jul 15th '06, 05:07

And mine?....I don't even go in the damned IRC room.

..What the hell do you have against us?
lol butts
poofy

Post Jul 15th '06, 15:26

Shadowbreaker wrote:AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT WORKS AGAIN! ABSOLUTELY NO THANKS TO ANYONE IN THE IRC ROOM POOFY OR GRAYSWAN!!!

And no data was lost. I tihnk it was just a prolonged hiatus.

That post is completely unnecessary. I was very tempted to report it. It's great that your iMac is working again, but you don't have to bash the people that were trying to help you when it wasn't working. I would thank them for their effort.

Oh, and also if I were you, I'd back up all the data on that machine ASAP.
Last edited by Destroyer E on Jul 15th '06, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyer E

Return to Chat