A1 vs Q2

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Nov 6th '09, 20:58

Why is it that I can play quake 2 in hi-res, in a full 3d engine with no problems at all, yet marathon in hi-res takes a year to load?? Any ideas?
Fishman92

Post Nov 6th '09, 21:08

I've never seen Aleph One take a year to load. There might be something wrong with your computer.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 6th '09, 21:21

I had bad broadband...or even no broadband... but sheez...
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications

Dugit
Hampshire, UK

Post Nov 6th '09, 22:10

Treellama wrote:I've never seen Aleph One take a year to load. There might be something wrong with your computer.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 6th '09, 22:26

it was a figure of speech, not a literal year. But plz tell me why it is so slow??!
Fishman92

Post Nov 6th '09, 22:27

You're going to have to provide more details than that. Machine specs, scenario, Aleph One version, add-on packs, scripts installed, operating system.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 6th '09, 22:57

well i'm on my 400mhz imac g3, 256mb ram, 8mb(!) vram, running mac os x 10.3.9. I am running the newest version of A1, and the newest version of Quake 2. Any help?
Fishman92

Post Nov 7th '09, 01:04

A-HA! old mac too little ram.

ukimalefu

Post Nov 7th '09, 01:14

ukimalefu wrote:A-HA! old mac too little ram.

I think his point is that Quake 2 can display high res graphics and true 3d much faster than Alephone can.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 7th '09, 01:43

That's a pretty low end machine! It should be able to run the basic scenarios, though. I recommend going into Preferences -> Graphics -> Rendering Options -> Advanced and setting the landscapes to 1/2 resolution, 16-bit. Setting some of the other sprites to 16-bit might help, too. 8 MB of VRAM is just a killer. 256 MB of RAM is very tight, too, you should probably quit all your other programs before starting the game.

Remember, Aleph One has to load a texture for every view of every frame of each different sprite, and they are weird sizes so it has to pad them to make them work with OpenGL. This means it needs much more memory and VRAM than Quake 2, which may only need one or two textures for each model.
Last edited by treellama on Nov 7th '09, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 7th '09, 01:46

Treellama wrote:Remember, Aleph One has to load a texture for every view of every frame of each different sprite, and they are weird sizes so it has to pad them to make them work with OpenGL. This means it needs much more memory and VRAM than Quake 2.

So wait, if Alephone used 3d models instead of bitmaps in a shapes file it would run faster? Or does it still need to load the bitmaps regardless?

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Nov 7th '09, 02:18

Shadowbreaker wrote:So wait, if Alephone used 3d models instead of bitmaps in a shapes file it would run faster? Or does it still need to load the bitmaps regardless?

Well, I don't know that it's that smart. Less memory, not necessarily faster, anyway.
Last edited by treellama on Nov 7th '09, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 7th '09, 02:42

Another thing to watch out for is too many files in the folder. one time, i misplaced 27GB of stuff in there and it took forever. aside from your elderly computer, this may also be the culprit. but the computer wont hold 27 gigs so that shouldnt be your problem...
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Post Nov 7th '09, 08:46

Envy wrote:Another thing to watch out for is too many files in the folder. one time, i misplaced 27GB of stuff in there and it took forever. aside from your elderly computer, this may also be the culprit. but the computer wont hold 27 gigs so that shouldnt be your problem...

Ok, I guess all this answers my questions... but 3d enemies in marathon sounds good!!

And btw, my iMac has a 75GB hard drive.
Fishman92

Post Nov 7th '09, 15:34

Oh thats cooler than i thought. Jemmis (i think) had some 3d pfhor, you probably cant run it though.
Si tratta di una lacrimosa.

envy
Land of the New Rising Sun

Return to Chat