Half life 2

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:20

I recently got this game called the orange box. In it, is half life 2 and it's episodes. Now, I have heard all about the gane, how it was GOTY and stuff. And they were right!
Anyway... I've beaten all the episodes and stuff, any one else here have a cool experience playing it or favorite part. Please share. [MLaugh]
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:39

*spoilers*

Looking back, I felt that Half Life 2 was revolutionary for its time. But to go back and play it now in its entirety would be difficult for me. I was watching one of my roommates play it over again, and I forgot how long it was. In my memory I completely cut out the City 17 fighting, and most scenes that took place on the coast. Basically, anything after Gordan meets up with Eli, and leaves Ravenholm, to reaching the citadel.

Episode one was alright, but more of the same. I felt it had better pacing, though not necessarily better puzzles. The plot was annoyingly simplistic compared to the other episodes, but the Alyx interaction was unique and usually well executed.

Episode Two is the hallmark for me in the series, Having more of the direct storytelling elements kept me interested longer. The Strider fight was frantic and I liked it a lot. You must keep them from destroying the buildings, but not at the loss of your own life and health management is strong. Sweat-streaming-down-your-palms-madness.
Last edited by Zott on Sep 23rd '10, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:43

Zott wrote:Episode Two is the hallmark for me in the series, Having more of the direct storytelling elements kept me interested longer. The Striker fight was frantic and I liked it a lot. You must keep them from destroying the buildings, but not at the loss of your own life and health management is strong. Sweat-streaming-down-your-palms-madness.

Yeah, the last battle with the striders and the hunters was really hectic! At the end I was almost out of ammo for every single gun and didn't have much health. Fortunateley, theres a lot of health kits scattered around
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:46

I think this series is amazing. They use some kind of advanced 3D rendering method that makes everything hyper-realistic; after playing about 20 minutes my brain gets confused and then I need to throw up. Afterwards, I get a migraine headache for at least an hour. Needless to say, I've been advancing through the story at about 20 minutes per week. I'm looking forward to finishing up sometime this year and moving on to the episodes which have gotten great reviews.

Anyway, my favorite part so far was escaping that blue harvester that appears part way through the prison sequence.

What did you think of Portal and Team Fortress 2?
Image Image

interion

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:48

In My Opinion :Portal Awesome as HL2
Marathon Speedrun Times: Discord
M1A1 - 26:57 - PB
M2 - 33:52 - PB
M2 - XBLA - 38:59 - PB
M2 - Coop with ApertureGrillz - 27:17 IGT/29:09 RTA - WR
MInf - 15:42 - WR
Minf all main levels - 27:49 - PB

TBCR
Raleigh,NC

Post Sep 23rd '10, 21:51

Portal, the parts I've played are awsome, both in the puzzles and GLADOS sense of humor, which I appreciate.
For some reason, I can't get xbox live to work right now, so I don't know about TF2.

The blue harvester? In Nova Prospekt? Oh wait yes, I remember that, the huge blue energy thing at the end of episode 1..
Last edited by Skullcleaver on Sep 23rd '10, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
I LIKE PIE

Skullcleaver
LALA Land

Post Sep 24th '10, 02:00

I, personally, LOVE the series. One of the reasons is it can play it on low-level computers, even with it's excellent graphics. The gameplay is pretty good, nothing completely extraordinary, but it's very well paced and the last 2 chapters WERE THE BEST LEVELS EVAAAA. Also, a common misconception is that the AI is bad. It's actually quite brilliant, which I learned when they kicked my anus in a quick map I made to test out AI nodes.

Also, don't forget to reload, Freeman!

TectonInd

Post Sep 24th '10, 02:29

TectonInd wrote:I, personally, LOVE the series. One of the reasons is it can play it on low-level computers, even with it's excellent graphics. The gameplay is pretty good, nothing completely extraordinary, but it's very well paced and the last 2 chapters WERE THE BEST LEVELS EVAAAA. Also, a common misconception is that the AI is bad. It's actually quite brilliant, which I learned when they kicked my anus in a quick map I made to test out AI nodes.

Also, don't forget to reload, Freeman!

Heh heh heh. To this day, when I'm watching someone playing a shooter, and they hit a long lull in the fighting, I can't help but whisper "...Reload, Dr. Freeman!"

Crater Creator

Return to Chat