NitsLoch

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Jan 16th '11, 15:26

i couldnt reply to the actual topic cause it was locked so i had to start a new one.

anyway, i have played gangwars and its one of my favorite games of all time, its is so obscure i cant believe someone did a remake and its pretty good, but how do i build my martial arts ability?. its a funny coincidence, the guy who made the original gangwars lives near me in cambridge, ma, that is, if he still lives at the same adress thats shown in the about from 23 years ago.

i can run nits 2.0 but not 2.2 or 1.0, and i really want to play 1.0 so i can play the original cities, does anyone know why it wont run? i updated to the newest java, and im on a mac with 10.5

also what does the name "nitsloch" mean?

im actually in the process of doing my own remake, im gonna use all the original graphics with added color but with new cities
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/eqw...es/Picture5.png
Last edited by EqwanoX on Jan 16th '11, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
EqwanoX

Post Jan 16th '11, 15:41

You might try compiling the source code for 1.0 yourself. W'rk might know more about why 1.0 won't run otherwise. As for martial arts, W'rkncacnter is not a fan of that stat - so his scenarios don't include many weapons that use it -, but if you want to beef up martial arts in 1.0, you're in luck! I made a small city that focuses almost exclusively on just that. You can get it from here if you get 1.0 working (I guess it's called "Bytes").
Last edited by irons on Jan 16th '11, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 16th '11, 18:45

I'm not entirely sure why it won't run for you. Can you try running it on the command line? java -jar NitsLoch.jar. Post the output here, and I'll have a better idea of what might be happening.

As for martial arts, the weapon graphics were completed before pretty much everything else in the game, so I had to make weapons based on them. There are martial arts weapons, but they usually don't make any sense. For example, I think the club I marked as martial arts, just so there was something. You'll just have to play around with the weapons in the game to see which increase your martial arts.

also what does the name "nitsloch" mean?

Don't ask.

Let me know when you finish your remake, I'm very interested in seeing how that turns out.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 21st '11, 18:12

i finished the title screen, old-school reference. im almost done with the game, i just need to add a second city for the maulers, dragons and roadmasters
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/eqw...wtitlefinal.png

in 2.0 how do i get past the bald guy gaurding the gate. do i HAVE to go through the sewers? i hate that section
Last edited by EqwanoX on Jan 21st '11, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
EqwanoX

Post Jan 21st '11, 18:39

EqwanoX wrote:i finished the title screen, old-school reference. im almost done with the game, i just need to add a second city for the maulers, dragons and roadmasters
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/eqw...wtitlefinal.png

in 2.0 how do i get past the bald guy gaurding the gate. do i HAVE to go through the sewers? i hate that section

Yes you do. NitsLoch 2.0 is basically a combination of GangWars and Ultima, so if you never played that and don't like the dungeons, then you may not like the rest of that scenario.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 21st '11, 18:49

Buy lots of maps.
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 21st '11, 18:59

Ultima didn't even have maps. That was just added for Huge Pussies like you.

Wrkncacnter

Post Jan 21st '11, 19:06

I know, and I am thankful.

irons
(.Y.)

Post Jan 21st '11, 19:10

Ladder ups and downs are more important anyway. IIRC, that first dungeon just has one "leader" on the second level, so I'd just use a ladder down to get to the second floor, and then wander around till you kill him. Then use 2 ladder ups to get back out. I forget the exact keys to use them. Ctrl-K and Ctrl-D maybe?

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 7th '11, 18:26

im kind of exhausted form working on this so im gonna break for a while, but heres the latest beta,
mac osX
http://www.mediafire.com/?2vesqsyzw5c5v7c
Windows
(uploaded with message)
Attachments
gangwars_b2.zip
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
EqwanoX

Post Feb 7th '11, 19:36

If it doesn't involve large green and red circles punching each other, it's probably better than the first beta of NL I let irons see.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 11th '11, 16:29

well the game is complete, i consider it a beta cause its not fully bug tested and there may be some stats that need balancing in the second city. but its a pretty close remake, the only thing i took out was diagonal movement. and i added save points on the map to make abusing stealing less convinient. cause that was what kind of broke the original, if you failed to steal you could just reload
EqwanoX

Post Feb 13th '11, 02:31

I like the colored graphics, but I haven't made it very far into the game because it seems like I'm spending pretty much all of my time resting. It takes a while, because I don't seem to be able to hold anything down in order to rest, so I just have to click repeatedly. Cops always show up and hurt me just as much as I healed, and then I start the process all over again.

The only reason I've been able to get anywhere is because only one cop can appear at a time, so if I heal behind a wall, I can heal completely.

One thing I actually like a lot about this version of the game is that the window doesn't disappear when you buy something from a shop. This makes it a lot less of a pain to buy things in bulk.

Is there a reason you decided to add cops, rather than just having members of the most current gang arrive when you rest?

I've noticed a few other problems, that I'm sure you're aware of (enemies don't always chase you properly, and if a message is too long to fit in the message window, it becomes unreadable).

It will be interesting to see the finished game once you finish balancing it. What would also be cool if you could make these cities for NitsLoch version 1, so people could use that engine to play your scenario as well.

PS: QuickTime...
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Feb 13th '11, 03:52, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter

Post Feb 15th '11, 22:01

thanks for the review, ill work on those problems, BUT, your complaint about resting and cops seems invalid cause after beating a cop your fight ability and maxhp increase AND you get money to buy better equipment, so your always makeing progress. also, you COULD use the hospital, this version gives you 10hp per dollar where the original gave only 3 hp per dollar

yea, i know the pathifnding is off but i kind of left that in there so you could escape if you get desperate. i found that frustrating with the original cause it was impossible to escape enemies, so if you had low hp and accidently run into a tough enemy like a dawg (esspecially before you built up your martial arts ability) you'd be fucked

what do you mean about quicktime?
Last edited by EqwanoX on Feb 15th '11, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.
EqwanoX

Post Feb 15th '11, 22:33

Yes, but when I had killed enough cops and built up enough money to afford the hospital, the rest of the game was too easy. I had leveled up all my stats so much just fighting nothing but cops. In any case, in the original it wasn't too hard to get lucky and heal all the way without anyone showing up (at least at low levels). I think it may be fixed by just reducing the rate at which they spawn.

I was forced to install QuickTime to play the game, which I do not want at all. It's ok though, I just installed it on a VM I happened to have.
Last edited by Wrkncacnter on Feb 15th '11, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Wrkncacnter

Return to Chat