our generation is a degeneration...

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Jul 7th '06, 22:24

I tried getting my freind to watch 2001 the space oddysey... but no prevail...
it just goes to show you... How EFFing pathetic generations will become.. ignorant.. and refusing of intilectual development! im shocked...

I couldnt even hold an intilectual convorsation and debate with reasoinging!

x ruleta rusa x connected (2:56:54 PM)
2:59:49 PM xruletarusax: long time
2:59:54 PM fatshongshong: hey!!
3:00:01 PM fatshongshong: there you are
3:00:07 PM fatshongshong: soo, sosos
3:00:12 PM fatshongshong: you gave up on 2001?
3:00:23 PM fatshongshong: in 5 minuets?
3:00:28 PM xruletarusax: yeah
3:00:29 PM fatshongshong: shame, on you
3:00:35 PM fatshongshong: oh yah,
3:00:43 PM fatshongshong: there are only 2 human actors in that sceen
3:01:09 PM fatshongshong: well, you wouldnt dare to care now,
3:02:25 PM xruletarusax: o
3:02:38 PM xruletarusax: well, i didn't feel like watching actors in monkey suits jumping around
3:02:48 PM fatshongshong: lol...
3:02:56 PM fatshongshong: its part of the evolution description,
3:03:08 PM fatshongshong: if you watched more, you would of understood whats going on
3:03:13 PM fatshongshong: (think introduction)
3:03:49 PM fatshongshong: one of the intresting facts of that movie is, no one says a word within the first 23 minuets of the film
3:04:02 PM fatshongshong: within that timespand, they....
3:04:14 PM fatshongshong: well, I cant tell you because somthing major happens between monkey and man
3:04:29 PM xruletarusax: okay then
3:04:33 PM xruletarusax: how...interesting
3:04:34 PM fatshongshong: lol,
3:04:51 PM fatshongshong: you cant just give up on a movie because of lazyness..
3:05:29 PM fatshongshong: 2001 is probably the most prestigious and widely recognized throughout the world
3:05:42 PM fatshongshong: or one of the most
3:06:06 PM fatshongshong: im suprized a handfull of lynbrook studuents never heard of it, quite pathetic
3:06:11 PM xruletarusax: i was quite active while watching the movie
3:06:15 PM fatshongshong: ooh
3:06:16 PM fatshongshong: well,
3:06:28 PM fatshongshong: yah, you kinda cant be in a add mood to watch good movies
3:06:33 PM fatshongshong: (a.d.d)
3:06:39 PM xruletarusax: it just bored me seeing monkeys all over
3:06:55 PM xruletarusax: it was like animal planet with fake animals
3:07:05 PM fatshongshong: shame...
3:07:31 PM fatshongshong: well, i dont know what to say but our generation is being degraded with taste of film selection,
3:09:15 PM xruletarusax: whatev
3:09:23 PM xruletarusax: i was totally gonna go see pirates today
3:09:31 PM fatshongshong: lol... omg
3:09:32 PM xruletarusax: but i can't
3:09:38 PM fatshongshong: shame on you...
3:09:53 PM xruletarusax: what! any movie with johnny depp can't be that bad
3:10:16 PM fatshongshong: people like you should not get the privalage to discredit real movies
3:10:26 PM xruletarusax: ha
3:10:33 PM fatshongshong: to see actors that were just pampered...
3:10:36 PM fatshongshong: shamme!
3:10:52 PM fatshongshong: thats royaly discusting
3:10:58 PM xruletarusax: hey now, i said i'm not seeing it
3:11:00 PM xruletarusax: sheesh
3:11:17 PM fatshongshong: ok, well
3:11:19 PM fatshongshong: read this
3:11:22 PM fatshongshong: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062622/
3:11:58 PM fatshongshong: description at the botomb will forfill all your questions/ attentive disorders
3:12:35 PM xruletarusax: meh
3:12:43 PM fatshongshong: you didnt read it!
3:12:56 PM fatshongshong: user comment
3:13:12 PM fatshongshong: here.. if your that unable to navigate
3:13:14 PM fatshongshong: Sometimes reading the user comments on IMDB fills me with despair for the species. For anybody to dismiss 2001: A Space Odyssey as "boring" they must have no interest in science, technology, philosophy, history or the art of film-making. Finally I understand why most Hollywood productions are so shallow and vacuous - they understand their audience.

Thankfully, those that cannot appreciate Kubrick's accomplishment are still a minority. Most viewers are able to see the intelligence and sheer virtuosity that went into the making of this epic. This is the film that put the science in "science fiction", and its depiction of space travel and mankind's future remains unsurpassed to this day. It was so far ahead of its time that humanity still hasn't caught up.

2001 is primarily a technical film. The reason it is slow, and filled with minutae is because the aim was to realistically envision the future of technology (and the past, in the awe inspiring opening scenes). The film's greatest strength is in the details. Remember that when this film was made, man still hadn't made it out to the moon... but there it is in 2001, and that's just the start of the journey. To create such an incredibly detailed vision of the future that 35 years later it is still the best we have is beyond belief - I still can't work out how some of the shots were done. The film's only notable mistake was the optimism with which it predicted mankind's technological (and social) development. It is our shame that the year 2001 did not look like the film 2001, not Kubrick's.

Besides the incredible special effects, camera work and set design, Kubrick also presents the viewer with a lot of food for thought about what it means to be human, and where the human race is going. Yes, the ending is weird and hard to comprehend - but that's the nature of the future. Kubrick and Clarke have started the task of envisioning it, now it's up to the audience to continue. There's no neat resolution, no definitive full stop, because then the audience could stop thinking after the final reel. I know that's what most audiences seem to want these days, but Kubrick isn't going to let us off so lightly.

I'm glad to see that this film is in the IMDB top 100 films, and only wish that it were even higher. Stanley Kubrick is one of the very finest film-makers the world has known, and 2001 his finest accomplishment. 10/10.
3:14:07 PM xruletarusax: i refuse to read it
3:14:16 PM fatshongshong: oh. my god..
3:14:21 PM fatshongshong: read it for the love of god
3:14:35 PM fatshongshong: i cant beleive you!
3:15:12 PM fatshongshong: im trying to get you to watch a mile stone movie!
3:15:57 PM fatshongshong: and when you grow up, some one will ask you, "did you watch 2001?" and youl have to say , "no, i didnt like it because of the monkeys..."
3:16:51 PM xruletarusax: i tried
3:17:02 PM fatshongshong: i tried watching your movie you recomended!
3:17:07 PM fatshongshong: well
3:17:09 PM fatshongshong: i did!
3:17:16 PM fatshongshong: with you,
3:17:49 PM fatshongshong: i endured it, now you must watch a movie that is a practical requirement in life
3:18:02 PM xruletarusax: i watched dr. strangelove for all its worth
3:18:14 PM fatshongshong: man.. ok, well
3:18:33 PM fatshongshong: if your gona watch a movie with that aditude, you minus well not watch movies at all
3:18:58 PM fatshongshong: im shocked,
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 7th '06, 23:07

Uhhh...

Ha. Ha?

Because of lazyness, I only read the beggining and the end of what you wrote. The middle was probably the best part.

Ride the bomb!!! WOOO!!
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jul 8th '06, 14:04

We don't watch movies from the old days because they are old to us. We have a problem with that. I think the reason we have history teachers and parents is to teach us to try things from the old day because it may be cool. get his parents to try and make him watch it, if you know his parents.
En Taro Adun,
Executor.

Im dead, man!

Kidtofu
Virginia

Post Jul 9th '06, 03:35

I dunno about you, but there is alot of cool shit from the old days. I don't avoid finding out about that stuff. Quite alot of my favorite things are from pre-2000s, and todays world is based off of yesterdays.

From what I read, that movie looks good, I'll go watch it when I see it. (Which, probably unfortunatly for me, will be a while)
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jul 9th '06, 16:38

well, Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange is still waaay better than 2001: A Space Oddysey in my opinion... VIOLEEENCE
Last edited by Tybo on Jul 9th '06, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Jul 9th '06, 18:12

well, if your looking for violence, clockwork orange is a superior example of capturing violence on screen,

but the brilliance of 2001 is that its complexity in realsim! the movie was created before man touched moon. kubricks details and estimations on how things are done on a space station holds quite acurate up till today! this movie holds even more scientific realism compared to movies of today. a practical 30 years old

I would say that this is one of thoes movies you have to watch somtime in your lifetime, (get it out of your system).
Last edited by shongshong on Jul 9th '06, 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 9th '06, 19:20

wait is that the movie where the robot kills everybody or am i thinking of somthing else?
Dieselfame3

Post Jul 9th '06, 19:35

Dave?
Please dont deactivate me dave.
Ill be good now dave.
Dave?
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 9th '06, 23:09

Homocidal Ham wrote:Dave?
Please dont deactivate me dave.
Ill be good now dave.
Dave?

lol yes, exactly

think 'rampant' AI. for some of you, [MWuh]
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 10th '06, 03:56

omg hal WAS like a rampant AI...
i will say this: the movie was boring. i actually was sick and only about 10 when i watched it and i missed part because i was unable to breathe for awhile, and i barely missed anything. i need to see it again...
i always thought that kubrick was doing drugs when he made the final scene.

Billy was a chemist's son.
But Billy is no more.
What Billy thought was H20,
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jul 10th '06, 04:56

lol, oh yah, it might help to understand that last chapter if you read the book a little, after demolishing hal, the crew revives, and continues the mission without the aid of the computer. they travel to jupiter (because the magnetic signals was comming from around there, as scene in the movie,). but the part they dont realy show is dave steping out on to the monolith and gets "enlightened" onto the otherside. thats where all the sphycodelic stuff begins in the movie.

you guys are suposed to like this movie the most! this is where AI, science fiction and rediculousely heavy plot colides in a wonderfull cinima!
Last edited by shongshong on Jul 10th '06, 04:59, edited 1 time in total.
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 10th '06, 20:16

I personally think it was another one of those books that wasn't turned into a movie very well

off topic: I was pissed when I went to see Time Line, one of the best books I had ever read, and it sucked

Marek was tough as hell in the book but was a wimp in the movie, they skiped too many of the good parts and it didn't show de kere burn to death in a giant fire, instead it just had him die in a fight. Why don't people stick to the books?

a little more on topic: your right their is an aspect of lazieness in not watching classics, my dad always said that lorance of arabia would never do well in theatures now because its 4 and a half hours long and the first big chunk of that movie just shows him marching his troops across the desert to attack achaba (is that how you spell it?), but it a fantastic movie if your patient, but I doubt anyone here is (oh ya, as for bathroom breaks there are intermissions in the movie, no seriously)

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 11th '06, 22:20

lord of the rings is 9 hours; many people saw that. they split it in three. star wars is god nows how many, they split it in six. a movie can be several days long if it's split into small chapters, which can be at the most 3 hours.
another interesting thing about movies: aside from formulaic horrors and romances, there is almost no new material. its all either sequels, remakes, adaptations, based on a true story, etc. Comedies are original, but they're still using the 8 classes of humour that have been around for hundreds of years. Society is basically becoming stagnant; we have nowhere to explore, except mars, but that's not in reach because all the money is being spent to blow people up. Our only hope is that we can reach a perfect balance, without moving forward. That means no pollution, garbage or war. To have those we must have progress, and since there's little progresss they must be done away with. Thats not likely, so we're all doomed.

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jul 14th '06, 02:07

there is plenty to explore, 80% of our world is uncharted

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 14th '06, 02:31

presumably 96% of that is water; and these areas probably don't have any people or resources to explore.
i can't think of any large areas on land that would be uncharted; they're either in high level countries with money to throw away exploring it, or in densely populated third world countries.

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jul 14th '06, 09:51

Maybe there is some unknown intelligent life on the bottom of the sea we don't know of... Like giant insects who build cities and machines & stuff. Like the Pfh... Ohh, nevermind.
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Jul 14th '06, 17:47

theres this artical in wired talking about nasa's new "terrestrial plantet finder project mission".
they are gona launch a space-based observitory in 2015 specificaly designed to look for planets or regions that can house habitable planets similar to ours. by judging similar age, size and brigtness to our own sun.

Alpha Centurai (A and B) has been rated the most similar stars to that of our own. and is closest to us at 4.4 lightyears away. Tau ceti is third place on habitability running with .5 times our suns strength, and 11.9 lightyears away. sounds like we need to prepare for a seriouse voyage into space, lol
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 14th '06, 18:02

If we never explored the ocean how would we know if there isnt anything left on earth that we dont know about? I smell a classic case of laziness quod simulator

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 14th '06, 18:21

maybe its because nobody goes down there for any practical purposes, so nobody really cares.
how come scientists assume that life can only exist on planets similair to our own? and what is life, anyway? can anyone think of a good definition?

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jul 14th '06, 19:42

debates go on that "we" are the only life forms out in the universe. [verrryyy unposible probibility] so nasa is looking around for any form life out there. We can start by looking at stars with similar atributes.

the scientists chose to spectate for stars and solar systems similar to ours mainly because our solar system is a good example of some living biology and inteligence. With this distance and star stregth, the formula has worked!

they are looking for other planets or stars with similar atributes because there is more of a chance of finding biology and habitats (capable of housing life forms). Its better than guesing where lifeforms might be in our universe,
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 14th '06, 20:13

technically we have found life on mars, its just that that life is microscopic, so the search goes on for SENTIENT life

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 14th '06, 22:31

looking out of our solar system for life, hence the search of similar stars for more signs of 'life'
if anything, multi cell organisms would be awsome
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 14th '06, 23:46

life was found on mars?!?! why was i not informed?!?!?!?!
what makes you think they have to have cells?

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Post Jul 15th '06, 02:22

they have found single celled organisums on mars, but no one cared, thus you havent heard it

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 15th '06, 03:55

well wtf didn't they care? THATS BLOODY LIFE ON ANOTHER PLANET!!! i mean... jesus... it must be really easy for life to form... 2 planets in the same solar system? Of all the places we have done major exploration in, 2 of 2, (or 2 of 3 if you count the moon) have had life in them.
of course before i continue ranting about how impressive that is and possible making a fool of myself, i assume it wasn't from earth, and that it grew on Mars by itself.

But Billy is no more.
Was H2S04.
xyfbzi

Next

Return to Chat