I want your money

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Mar 16th '11, 16:17

Some of you may have noticed the link to charity: water in my sig. Since I frequently talk about this charity and strongly advocate it, I feel bad that I've only given them 3 bucks on one occasion.

Some of you might also have figured out that I was not, in fact, born on January 1, 1912, as it says on my profile. My birthday is actually March 28, 1993, meaning that I turn 18 in two weeks. And since charity: water has an entire user-based fundraising site that started with a birthday donation idea, I figured this was a great time to ease my conscience and give to people less fortunate than I.

The situation right now is really bad. About 1 in 8 people don't have access to clean water at all:
Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war. Children are especially vulnerable, as their bodies aren't strong enough to fight diarrhea, dysentery and other illnesses.
90% of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are to children under five years old. Many of these diseases are preventable. The UN predicts that one tenth of the global disease burden can be prevented simply by improving water supply and sanitation.
(link)

So I'm asking people to give gifts of 18 bucks to those in need (or whatever they can give) instead of videogames for my eighteenth birthday, hopefully to raise at least $400.

I realize that us open-source gamers don't have the largest pocketbooks, so I would be more than thankful for donations of any amount. Just head over to my fundraising page if you want to give. 100% of your money will go to water projects, so you don't need to worry about part of it going to administrative costs or credit card transactions. I think there might even a way to get pictures from the project which your money goes to if you sign up for an account after you donate (you'll be prompted to sign up in the donation process), though I'm not quite sure.

For more information, visit charitywater.org or mycharitywater.org. If you want to, here is a pretty sweet video you should watch made by charity: water for World Water Day.

Thanks!

(Note: I am, of course, going to send this project to all my family and friends tomorrow, and am even hosting a Charity Water party in a couple weeks; I just posted to the Pfhorums first because it's easy, and it's midnight and I think I have a Calc quiz first period tomorrow. I am also going to upload a picture of myself in the "your photo here" slot tomorrow when I gain access to the computer on which my photos are, if any of you are interested what I currently look like.)

My fundraising page

Edit:
In case you were wondering, a donation of $20 will give one person clean water for a number of years (they used to say 20 years, although they recently revised that); the $400 I hope to raise will give 20 people clean water.
Last edited by gmanyo on Mar 16th '11, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Mar 16th '11, 22:23

he was a spambot all along
NO ONE IS SAFE

TectonInd

Post Mar 16th '11, 23:21

That's me. The super spambot for all the peeps without water.
Edit:
You have to admit, though, that if anyone needs a spambot it's people dying from lack of water. I'm pretty sure all those male enhancement pills don't really need your money.

2nd Edit:
Your money really will help someone. If you give twenty bucks, it will save a child from dying. That means an impoverished mother doesn't have to lose her kid. It's like, you give a bit of money and someone's life is changed. Forever. It's not like some charities where you give money and then your donation becomes part of a "greater good" which is difficult to grasp. You can actually save people.

I really would suggest checking out the video from my OP. Sorry that it was a bit tl;dr.
Last edited by gmanyo on Mar 17th '11, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Mar 17th '11, 19:34

I don't believe I can trust the money will go to people without water or anywhere you say it will.
I think that this is a scam and that you might be pocketing it all for yourself.

Its a possibility.
MoppyPuppy
Lake Nebagamon, WI

Post Mar 17th '11, 20:05

But it's a .org!!!!!
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 18th '11, 08:24

Just in case anyone is actually worried about me taking all the money, which is understandable, I assure you that I couldn't get the money even if I wanted to. mycharitywater is a project run by charity: water that lets people do their own mini (or in some cases not-so-mini) fundraisers. The transactions go straight to charity: water, so I can't possibly be getting the money. You could just donate directly to them if you want to. I guess they could be scamming everyone, but that's pretty far fetched. Besides, Obama supports them, and Presidents are completely infallible.

Also, if you would rather donate to Japan, that would be great, too. I totally support helping anyone in need.
Last edited by gmanyo on Mar 18th '11, 08:26, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Mar 18th '11, 08:26

all the links inbedded into your post makes me nervous...
What are you, if not seven different shades of stupid?

CryoS
The Dungeon

Post Mar 18th '11, 08:28

Yeah, I was a bit weary of how many I was posting. They were just to show that this is, in fact, a legitimate charity. charitywater.org is probably the most important one.

gmanyo

Post Mar 18th '11, 12:39

gmanyo wrote:Yeah, I was a bit weary of how many I was posting. They were just to show that this is, in fact, a legitimate charity. charitywater.org is probably the most important one.

MoppyPuppy knows that, a minute of googling is all it takes to figure that out. I report him but the admins apparently enjoy his antics.

Every so often I have to reply in case anyone hasn't seen it already:
http://www.pfhorums.com/index.php?s=&s...ost&p=63924
Last edited by treellama on Mar 18th '11, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Mar 18th '11, 12:46

If I punished Moppy for his antics, I'd also have to punish myself for the last four years.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 19th '11, 01:24

Yeah, I figured he was trolling, and I didn't mind, but I just wanted to make sure nobody actually thought that. Though I'm not sure anybody looked at that post anyway, since it was basically link spam. Thanks for the warning.
Last edited by gmanyo on Mar 19th '11, 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

gmanyo

Post Mar 19th '11, 23:40

Please change your avatar, it's making me lose my lunch every time I see it.
function rate() { x = document.getElementsByClassName('current-rating'); for (var i in x) { x[i].style.cssText = "width: 25px"; x[i].innerHTML = "Currently 1/5 Stars."; } }

if (document.URL != "http://www.simplici7y.com/reviews") window.onload = rate;
Dis

Return to Chat