Intel Pissin me Off

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.

Post Jul 17th '06, 05:01

OK so i installed XP soley for games using boot camp, on my 2GHz Macbook (not pro) and I imeadately bought BF2 and the Halflife Game of the year Edition. Halflife works ok cuounterstrike is still needing some tweaking, but my biggest bummer is BF2 does not run with the graphics card in my mac book [MFrown] [MDown] I am saddend greatly by this and I am currently looking for farm property to buy (<- Joke, if u dont get it then dont try). Hopefully my graphics card supports any windoze game cause if not, then i just wasted money on XP. If you get a macbook to play windows games on I suggest the Macbook pro, because according to the masses its GC seems to work with these high end games.

Is it possible to buy the GC used in a pro and install it in a regualr macbook?
Dieselfame3

Post Jul 17th '06, 05:19

I dunno, I haven't installed the evil system yet on my Intel iMac, purely out of lazyness, but I do know that the graphics card is intergrated. Maybe you could hax it to use more memory or carefully remove the solders and stick a new one in. Both of those might void your warranty.

Apple should have used a cheap and small non-integrated card instead. It would allow for users to do exactly as you are trying to do.

I wonder, what is it that makes BF2 not work on your computer? Is it memory, or clock speed, or protocols, or other stuff? You might be able to find somebody who can help make it work.
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jul 17th '06, 05:28

well... I dont own BF2 but alot of my pc games reealy complaign about my 5 year old graphics card. all the hl2 games work great including red orchestra even with it complaigning that my comp sucks. I know that fear sometimes wont let people play because there comp isnt up to par... I doubt it but there are haqzzz around it... its a windows thing, you just have to work around things.

but I never played graphics intensive games on a lap top before, if you can pull any games off, thats just awsomness!!! (of have dogy computers so.. its amazing)
shongshong.vze.com (main site)
[Flickr page] (subdivision of renderings)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 17th '06, 09:07

I have BF2 and it is a very graphics intensive game, though I got it to run on All max on a Radeon 9500 Pro because I think the card limits graphics that it can't play and so it didn't suffer from max, not like the Nvidia 7800 GS I have now, which actually TRIES to display Max graphics. [MUp] Same for Oblivion.

ANYWAYYY,

Have you tried turning ALL the settings to their lowest? Since you have built in graphics, I don't think the game is actually supported without a graphics card, but with everything set to lowest its worth a shot.

This source here:http://www.f13.net/index.php?itemid=148

Mentioned a problem when your screen is set to "widescreen" when playing BF2 on a Mac. Perhaps you should try that.

I also have Half Life 2 Game of the Year, LOL and since that can run on directx's way back to 7, you should have no problem with your Graphics.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Jul 17th '06, 15:35

have you tried looking in the mid west...
"I often think about poor old bill, and how hard he was to saw."

Homocidal Ham
Behind you (mwahahaha)

Post Jul 17th '06, 15:53

The game conflicts only w/ the GC, i dont know how to turn down the settings or anyhting.

Shongshong, what kind of computer do you have that runs HL?

Bf2 dosent matter now, im selling it to a friend.... guess ill have to wait till theres either a patch or a way to get a different GC, or in the far future: a new computer.

will other, low end games work ok on my macbook? or will i not be able to run anything multiplayer based?
Dieselfame3

Post Jul 17th '06, 16:06

I ran HL2, BF1942, HL2:EP1, Planetside, Planeshift, Rose online, and a few other games on my 2.4 ghz intel Pentium 4 windows machine with a DirectX 6.0 graphics card. You probably have a DirectX 7.0 graphics card, I'm not sure. If windows preferences don't tell you, (which I don't think they will) then just boot up HL2 and check your video settings.

The Macbook Pro would have been a better machine for gaming. Hell, It's even faster than an iMac!
If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

"The next chapter finds Rambo recruited by a group of Christian human rights missionaries to protect them against pirates..."
-IMDB.com

"I didn't mean to kill nobody, I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord."
-R.L. Burnside

Phsyco_kid

Post Jul 17th '06, 19:51

Does Apple still soder/permanently attach the graphics card onto the motherboard for their PowerBooks/MacBooks?
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Jul 18th '06, 00:53

Dieselfame3 wrote:

Shongshong, what kind of computer do you have that runs HL?

will other, low end games work ok on my macbook? or will i not be able to run anything multiplayer based?

I have a Pentium3 with a geforce nvidia 4 card. its preity old, got it in 2000 ish, but suprizingly, graphics can be played medium high (slight processor lag). Medium with best efficiency. It can render the light refraction, and other special specular shader details. But it doesnt render HDR and bloom. I wish I did, its realy fun to look at.

actualy.. if your looking for a multiplayer game, go look for Nexiuz. Its an open source game so it runs on all platforms. It uses quake one engine.. But with uber ramped graphics! HDR and Bloom! and dynamic light shader and shadows. very intence game, its like unreal and quake put together. my g4 and my p3 ran it great
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Post Jul 18th '06, 06:26

shongshong wrote:if your looking for a multiplayer game, go look for Nexiuz.

is it for mac or windoze?, i dont know which partion to install on
Dieselfame3

Post Jul 18th '06, 06:47

Nexiuz is open source and is compatible with practicaly all platforms. the download file you download holds all platform information within it. So you can install the game on either partitions.
the game gets you hella jittery after a while its so fast. lol

http://www.alientrap.org/nexuiz/index.php?module=media

here is some screenshots of gameplay, (downloads on left column)
Marathon Squadron

shongshong
right here

Return to Chat