Checking in

Chat and discussion not related to either Marathon or Aleph One. Please keep things at least mildly interesting, though.
Axle_Gear
Cyborg

Just dropping by for the first time in months, and making my first post since even longer than that. I wasn't sure where to put this, and since this wasn't specifically about a project I felt the off-topic forums would be a good place to put it.

So, for the two or three people here who still know about my project 'Marathon C;' since the project has been on such an indefinite hiatus, I will probably upload what I have done after tweaking the levels to work properly with one another, tack on a kind of 'Monster A-Go-Go'esque ending, and declare it an orphaned project. As much as I would like to have even a simple, ten-level scenario done, I simply don't have the time to make more maps to see it to a more fully-developed conclusion.

Which segues awkwardly into the next bit of information I want to put in: I have entirely too many hobbies, not enough time to do them with, and no real way to achieve my goals in life at the moment. I've gone to college for art, and so far it's landed me as a 25-year-old still living with his parents and working part-time retail at the local Toys 'R' Us, handling all the 'bitch' hours like Friday evenings and midday Saturdays. Even AFTER getting a raise, my paychecks won't sustain any style of living; even if I rented a cheap apartment and split it with a roommate, more than an entire bi-weekly paycheck would go to the month's rent alone. And my problem of finding a fulfilling job in art is further exasperated by the fact that I live in Allegheny county, PA, whose population I swear is at least HALF old, scared people who would refuse to think of 'art' as anything other than quilting or copying things and people exactly as they are into paint form, leaving no real creative jobs in the community.

So what does all this mean? Well, I'm strongly considering becoming an entrepreneur, either in creating my own book/graphic novel, or starting my own sculpting/molding line, a thing I might have a knack for after working with Warhammer models for so long. Profit will probably be shit, but if I'm getting shit pay it might as well be at something I like instead of being the first cashier customers bitch at who has to answer for an entire staff that won't keep said cashier informed. Maybe one of these days I'll finally get off my lazy ass and get to making something.

As far as Marathon projects are concerned, like I said I'll touch up C, then shelf it. Maybe someday I would like to try to work on a scenario from scratch; original storyline, original sprite and textures, original everything; try to make something that's barely recognizable as being on the Aleph One engine that creates a whole new experience. Will I be working on this soon? Most likely not.

tl;dr - Still around, not active. Shelfing 'C' in favor of trying to find direction in life.
brilliant
Mjolnir Mark IV

I've heard about this scenario from irons in one of his JUICEcasts! From what I've played so far, it is fun and it looks nice! Yeah I believe real life stuff should take priority over things like this. What ever you decide, whether your art career, becoming an entrepreneur, or something else, good luck!
"My advise: V" - g pack
crimic01
Born on Board

Anyone remember me? [1337]
Dugit
Vidmaster

Axle_Gear wrote:Shelfing 'C' in favor of trying to find direction in life.
Aw. Shame, really. C looked really good.
DukeGuy wrote:Anyone remember me? [1337]
Think so. :)
Polyplicity my second (less sucky) net pack. Go on. Download it. You know you don't want to.
Marathon Aeon- My scenario in the works ~on Simplici7y

riveting six-vertice amnesty ratifications