Can't get aleph one to work properly

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Dec 19th '11, 07:35

Hello. While looking at the bungie website, I came across the aleph one site. I downloaded the engine and the version of marathon 1 on the website. When I put aleph one (just the .exe file, not the whole folder) in the marathon file, it starts, and shows me the title screen. After a few seconds, it goes back to my desktop and dosent do anything after that. I've tried this with marathon 1 and 2. I'm using windows xp on a intel pentium 4 running a 2.4GHz and with a 40-gig hard drive and 1.5gigs of RAM. What's the problem? I've also put the whole folder into the marathon 1 folder(the aleph one files) and with the same result.
dodge2461

Post Dec 19th '11, 13:37

Dodge Pribyl wrote:Hello. While looking at the bungie website, I came across the aleph one site. I downloaded the engine and the version of marathon 1 on the website. When I put aleph one (just the .exe file, not the whole folder) in the marathon file, it starts, and shows me the title screen. After a few seconds, it goes back to my desktop and dosent do anything after that. I've tried this with marathon 1 and 2. I'm using windows xp on a intel pentium 4 running a 2.4GHz and with a 40-gig hard drive and 1.5gigs of RAM. What's the problem? I've also put the whole folder into the marathon 1 folder(the aleph one files) and with the same result.

You installed it right the first time. So, it sounds like it might be crashing. What kind of video card do you have?

Is there anything useful in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\AlephOne\Aleph One Log.txt?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 19th '11, 18:45

Treellama wrote:You installed it right the first time. So, it sounds like it might be crashing. What kind of video card do you have?

Is there anything useful in C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\AlephOne\Aleph One Log.txt?

I'm using an AOpen Motherboard with integrated Intel Extreme Graphics. This thing was released along with windows XP, so it should work since this game was released in the 90's. Also, every file I go to seems to be empty. The screensaver, Saved Game, and themes. is this normal?
dodge2461

Post Dec 19th '11, 19:17

Dodge Pribyl wrote:I'm using an AOpen Motherboard with integrated Intel Extreme Graphics. This thing was released along with windows XP, so it should work since this game was released in the 90's.

1.0 uses OpenGL by default, which is a real problem for Windows XP + Intel graphics. You can disable OpenGL by editing your prefs file in notepad:

Open up C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\AlephOne\Marathon Preferences, and look for scmode_accel="1". Change that to scmode_accel="0" and see if Marathon starts up.

You'll get ugly graphics, just like when the game was released in the 90's ;)

Also, every file I go to seems to be empty. The screensaver, Saved Game, and themes. is this normal?

Yes, because you haven't created any screenshots or saved games yet, and the themes for Marathon and Marathon 2 are in the plugins directory.
Last edited by treellama on Dec 19th '11, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Dec 20th '11, 05:00

Treellama wrote:1.0 uses OpenGL by default, which is a real problem for Windows XP + Intel graphics. You can disable OpenGL by editing your prefs file in notepad:

Open up C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\AlephOne\Marathon Preferences, and look for scmode_accel="1". Change that to scmode_accel="0" and see if Marathon starts up.

You'll get ugly graphics, just like when the game was released in the 90's ;)
Yes, because you haven't created any screenshots or saved games yet, and the themes for Marathon and Marathon 2 are in the plugins directory.

Thanks Dude! the game now works perfectly! See you in Multi-player
dodge2461

Post Jul 12th '12, 11:17

hi im new here and i just downloaded marathon infinity. I was playing the single player game and when i try to hit m for map my game crashes. Also when i try using fists the sound stops temporarly and the game kinda freezes up temporarly then resumes. has anyone had this problem before. i tryed looking in forums but take so long to navagate through all the pages. im on win7. any help would be appreciated.
pallidice

Post Jul 20th '12, 05:13

pallidice wrote:hi im new here and i just downloaded marathon infinity. I was playing the single player game and when i try to hit m for map my game crashes. Also when i try using fists the sound stops temporarly and the game kinda freezes up temporarly then resumes. has anyone had this problem before. i tryed looking in forums but take so long to navagate through all the pages. im on win7. any help would be appreciated.

Read this web page to find out how to report bugs. Sorry, I can't help with the game freezing up.
"My advise: V" - g pack

brilliant

Post Jul 20th '12, 06:31

There's also a search function, which should be faster than than going through all the pages unfiltered.

I've been seeing Aleph One 1.0.2 crash when I access the map too, sometimes. But it's been too inconsistent to write it up, and I wasn't sure if the lua script or map I'm working on was interfering.

Crater Creator

Return to The Pfhorums