Pfhorums Forums Shuffle

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:32

We're in the process of re-arranging the layout of the boards to hopefully streamline the site somewhat. No topics are being lost, only moved.

Stay tuned!

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:34

I liked it better the old way.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:34

RyokoTK wrote:No topics are being lost, only moved.

I'm gonna hold you to that, dude. Stay tuned
I bring my own plasma rifle to the house of pain

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:41

Shadowbreaker wrote:I liked it better the old way.

I agree. It's going to take me a little while to get used to this new layout.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:45

The "Eternal does not qualify as Marathon's story" should be moved to the new shiny Marathon Gameplay/Story forum.

Just a suggestion...

1) Mapping should be split into 2 forums: Unveiling Maps and a different one for asking for Help/Techniques. Not sure about TCs though...(ie. where do we ask for help with sounds/textures etc?)

2) Maybe Contests should be moved to Content Creation?

And a sarcastic request:

[sarcasm]Bring Bash.org back[/sarcasm]

Lugas

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:50

Change it back.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:56

Shadowbreaker wrote:Change it back.

They can't; it would require manually resorting all the topics back into their original locations.
They also aren't done; there are a bunch of redundant forums currently as they shift a bunch of topics from existing boards into new boards. When they're done, they'll delete the old ones.
Last edited by kineticturtle on Jul 14th '07, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

kineticturtle

Post Jul 14th '07, 21:57

Kinetic Turtle wrote:They can't; it would require manually resorting all the topics back into their original locations.

Then the pfhorums are ruined by their own admin; he should feel bad.
Last edited by Shadowbreaker on Jul 14th '07, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:00

Marathon + General discussion are DEFINITLY redundant (and should be merged, or at least separated, one turned into a story forum [how the hell did one end up with "ETERNAL IS NOT CANNON IN THE MARATHON STORY" and the other end up with my famed, albeit bombed by it's creator, Eternal... Eternal... Eternal...], and i think the aleph one discussion and the editors and emulation could be merged with help and support

The new way, to put it bluntly, sucks.
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jul 14th '07, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:17

topic locked!

it should be, changes now, input later.

screamingfool

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:18

Phortiphy wrote:Marathon + General discussion are DEFINITLY redundant...The new way, to put it bluntly, sucks.

Kinetic Turtle wrote:They also aren't done; there are a bunch of redundant forums currently as they shift a bunch of topics from existing boards into new boards. When they're done, they'll delete the old ones.

kineticturtle

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:21

This layout is absolutely terrible!

I might not hate it so much if the sections were in the same orrder as they used to be.

â?¢Editors and emulation <- wtf. Why cant there just be an emulation help guide topic? Or 2, one for windoze to mac and one for mac to classic. Just get rid of this please.
â?¢There are 2 forums for story
â?¢Help and assistance should just be 'questions'
â?¢The alephone discussion board should jsut be called Aleph One.
â?¢General should just be called General, and shouldnt involve story.
â?¢Marathon discussion should go below the 2 other discussions right above tournaments... I think it would look nicer that way
â?¢Welcome should be the highest board.

This place sucks right now, but I am certain it will suck less if you change around that list of mine.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:27

Shadowbreaker wrote:This layout is absolutely terrible!

I might not hate it so much if the sections were in the same orrder as they used to be.
This place sucks right now, but I am certain it will suck less if you change around that list of mine.

Kinetic Turtle wrote:They also aren't done; there are a bunch of redundant forums currently as they shift a bunch of topics from existing boards into new boards. When they're done, they'll delete the old ones.

screamingfool wrote:topic locked!

it should be, changes now, input later.

kineticturtle

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:35

It would also suck a lot less if you left. Get bent. This is not the way to object to input.

I'm gonna hold you to that, dude. Stay tuned

Well, I'm backing out of that. The reason is: topics in the old Questions board that were over a year old were almost entirely redundant or currently irrelevant. Additionally, searching the Questions board is tough; there aren't nearly enough topics with key words in the title. 200 topics on the Questions board that are over a year old were lost. I still remember your irrational fury over my last mass purge, but this one I think has more merit.

Besides, it's not going to pain anyone to answer a question once a year.

So, what the hell is going on?

The current division of the Pfhorums is not the final one. Redundant Pfhorums exist right now because Appleswitch and I went (well, still are going) through all 750-some posts between Marathon Story, General, and Questions, and divided them into different categories.

The final layout of the Pfhorums is something like this:

[THE PFHORUMS]
The Pfhorums is just "Founding, again" only with a title that makes sense. It's also now at the heading of the list, since it's the one I want people to see first. That way, people are more aware of board updates. Welcome is unchanged.

[MARATHON AND ALEPH ONE]
This is where the bulk of the changes are taking place. There are three boards here:
-Aleph One -- This is about the engine itself, any issues you have with the engine, crashes, MML/Lua help, and so on.
-Marathon -- This is where Story went. This is most analogous to the old General, since most topics therein ended up under this curtain anyway.
-Contests and Tournaments -- Moved but otherwise unchanged.

[CONTENT CREATION]
The only new thing here is Editors, Emulation, Etcetera, which is where questions about Forge, Anvil, HEX, Forgery, Pfhorge, Basilisk, Sheepshaver, etc. all go. That way there's a catalog of issues that people can browse without having to sift through Questions (less than 10% of topics there were about these issues).

[OTHER]
Polls and Bash.org were folded into Chat. Other than that, nothing new.

We're still shuffling things around, and I know you have issues, but we're not going back to the old system. This greatly streamlines things for people that are actually browsing and posting, and helps categorize relevance. Nevertheless, if you have issues, we'll be sure to address them.

[note: I'll be out for about four hours, but things will be addressed by the end of the night. Keep your pants on, please.]
Last edited by RyokoTK on Jul 14th '07, 22:36, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:41

Good work, it might need some getting used to again, but it sure is an improvement.

In my opinion.
MY DEVIANTART
(My devArt is outdated)
http://www.myspace.com/t__bo

Tybo
Vulcan

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:47

I was pointing out which ones i feel should be merged, Kinetic.
EDIT: holy ****, 8 posts in one topic in 47 minutes. Is that a record for this place or what?
Last edited by Phortiphy on Jul 14th '07, 22:51, edited 1 time in total.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:54

RyokoTK wrote:I still remember your irrational fury over my last mass purge, but this one I think has more merit.

Keep it in your pants, ryok. Getting you to understand what's wrong about deleting half a forum is not worth the effort, you cling too much to your subjective p.o.v.
From a diplomatic perspective you should also try to stop throwing around judgemental adjectives that just reflect your hostility, although I am not quite the person you are gonna take this advice from.

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:54

Get over it people. Seriously. It's a forum, you'll get used to it.
Bourne

Post Jul 14th '07, 22:55

Everyone just relax, it's not the end of the world. Yes, I know, the pfhorums may look like trash now, but as soon Appleswitch and RyokoTK finish switching things around the pfhorums may be better than before. [MUp]
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Jul 14th '07, 23:00

it's still lacking that cool Marathon theme, though :)

Bobwithkeycard
AMS-Tower

Post Jul 15th '07, 00:00

This wasn't because of David's suggestion was it?

thomaslivingston
Lochgilphead, Scotland

Post Jul 15th '07, 00:43

Keep it in your pants, ryok. Getting you to understand what's wrong about deleting half a forum is not worth the effort, you cling too much to your subjective p.o.v.
From a diplomatic perspective you should also try to stop throwing around judgemental adjectives that just reflect your hostility, although I am not quite the person you are gonna take this advice from.

Dude, damn, I was just kidding. Take it easy.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Jul 15th '07, 00:59

Bobwithkeycard wrote:Keep it in your pants, ryok. Getting you to understand what's wrong about deleting half a forum is not worth the effort, you cling too much to your subjective p.o.v.

Now this is what makes this forum suck.

Shadowbreaker
Melbourne, Victoria

Post Jul 15th '07, 01:19

Bobwithkeycard wrote:it's still lacking that cool Marathon theme, though :)

Yes, thats because nothing has changed. This is not an 'update'. This is not a new pfhorums. This is nothing. We all use 'View New Posts' anyway, why does anybody care? These aren't even different!

Switch
NYC

Post Jul 15th '07, 01:24

Topic is locked. Please direct questions and complaints (nobody ever praises me =[ ) to this topic.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Return to The Pfhorums