New editing/deleting post policy

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:19

I just found the option that can enable users to delete their own posts. However, it was brought to my attention that this ability might have negative effects (such as removing anything that makes them look bad).

It was suggested that, not only should I forbid deleting, but editing should not be possible after a set period, so that once you say something, it's been said for good. This would encourage people to proof-read their posts, and if they end up looking like a fool, it's set in stone forever. I am not of this mind, but it seems to be a valid counter-argument, so for the first time in Pfhorums history, I am posing an administrative question to the general public.

Any additional discussion or feedback would be appreciated, of course.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 1st '07, 01:24, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:24

I feel that yes and unlimited editing, but, anything which was removed that makes people look like a fool should be punishable, and on the rules board as such. Or, maybe as long as they edit their most recent post in that topic saying why they deleted it, then that should be okay.
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:25

Clearly, in an environment with unlimited edits available, people have been perfectly content to look like fools and leave it as if in stone.

I don't think it'll matter much either way, except that the way it stands allows me to go back and correct my egregious spelling errors.

EDIT: Ryoko wins the prize, at 2 minutes!

EDIT #2: I'm testing out the "edited by" tag
Last edited by epstein on Nov 2nd '07, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
User avatar

epstein
North Carolina

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:27

egregius spelling errors


Like that one?
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:30

i think deleting posts is not necessary; Ryoko can do that if somethings egregious and people should (and be encouraged to) have the patience to think:

•before clicking post
•while writing
•as they're about to click add post/reply (once)

about whether or not it adds anything to the community or thread. The same opinion makes me think a 10 minute edit time is perfectly reasonable.

edit: whoa bullets get totally slaughtered here

you stole some dead ass bullets, sucker
Last edited by screamingfool on Nov 1st '07, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

screamingfool


Post Nov 1st '07, 01:36

screamingfool wrote:people should (and be encouraged to) have the patience to think:

As one who spends the majority of his waking life in situations where people are expected to think, I can tell you that a 10-minute editing policy will almost certainly not "encourage people to think before posting." We'll get people double-posting where the edit feature would have been sufficient, and we'll still get completely vapid comments that are nonsensical - we'll just be forced to look at them every time we load the thread.

EDIT: I want nothing to do with any wars around here that involve bullets.
Last edited by epstein on Nov 1st '07, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~
User avatar

epstein
North Carolina

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:39

As to the deleting thing no.
All people mess up sometimes so therefore in my opinion they should be able to edit it to a certain degree but not completely remove it.
Much like in a conversation with a person. You can say something mean and hateful and make the person feel terrible. You can say your sorry and they may or may not forgive but either way they will never completely forget what happened.
Now on the editing locked 10 minutes after the post.
I pose this question,
What if someone posts something in a hurry because they have to go to the bathroom really bad? In doing so the post is so screwed up it's barely readable.
Now say they ate chili for lunch and it's not coming out so well so they're in there for alot more than 10 minutes.When they finally get out they realize how horrible they screwed that post up and can't edit it. So the only way to restart the topic is to start a completely new topic.Then to watch the old "trash" topic fade off the new posts. Also he gets severely ridiqueled (forgive my spelling) for a post he didn't really mean to do.
That's why it would suck.
*drops mic*
*turns and walks away*
Last edited by logan on Nov 1st '07, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar

logan

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:41

That's an interesting hypothetical, but last I checked chili doesn't encourage constipation, but rather the opposite: chaingun squirts.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:43

Only idiots need to edit their posts.

Edit: OK idiots was probably a bit harsh.

Edit: Oops, I forgot editing makes me look like an idiot.

Edit: Damnit, I didn't mean idiot.

Edit: Damnit, I wish i could delete this post.
User avatar

Wrkncacnter

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:49

RyokoTK wrote:That's an interesting hypothetical, but last I checked chili doesn't encourage constipation, but rather the opposite: chaingun squirts.

Maybe it's the cleanup that pushes him over the 10 minute mark.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:53

epstein wrote:As one who spends the majority of his waking life in situations where people are expected to think, I can tell you that a 10-minute editing policy will almost certainly not "encourage people to think before posting." We'll get people double-posting where the edit feature would have been sufficient, and we'll still get completely vapid comments that are nonsensical - we'll just be forced to look at them every time we load the thread.


that makes sense, but the problem with editing posts at any time is the edits don't flag the post as recent, so nobody would realize that that there is new, possibly pertinent information there - likely making the edit likely moot and only serving to let the person point at it and say "no i didnt =p"

logan wrote:What if someone posts something in a hurry because they have to go to the bathroom really bad? In doing so the post is so screwed up it's barely readable.


then write what your stomach allows, let loose a supernatural storm and proofread before you post; like anyone who wants someone to read and value what they say would.
Last edited by screamingfool on Nov 1st '07, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

screamingfool

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:56

logan wrote:What if someone posts something in a hurry because they have to go to the bathroom really bad? In doing so the post is so screwed up it's barely readable.
Now say they ate chili for lunch and it's not coming out so well so they're in there for alot more than 10 minutes.When they finally get out they realize how horrible they screwed that post up and can't edit it. So the only way to restart the topic is to start a completely new topic.Then to watch the old "trash" topic fade off the new posts. Also he gets severely ridiqueled (forgive my spelling) for a post he didn't really mean to do.


man just take your laptop in with you, i'm sure that like 90% of all chats happen while one or more participants are on the pot, squeezing one out

more seriously no one should be allowed to delete posts and editing should be restricted to something like adding on to the bottom of the already existing text, like a double post that isn't a double post. that way the original text is always preserved, and it's my opinion that it is without a doubt the most precious text of all~

-- edit --

also the guy could use the restroom and then post afterwards
Last edited by thermoplyae on Nov 1st '07, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar

thermoplyae

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:56

the edit is likely moot and only serves to let the person point at it and say "no i didnt =p"
I think I can force the "Edited by" tag. Not sure, though.

editing should be restricted to something like adding on to the bottom of the already existing text, like a double post that isn't a double post


That is almost certainly not possible.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 1st '07, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 1st '07, 01:59

Alan wrote:
QUOTE(Alan @ Feb 1 2008, 08:14 PM)
Also why is Bridget a guy yet he looks so pretty?

Image
User avatar

Bridget
Another World

Post Nov 1st '07, 02:01

RyokoTK wrote:That is almost certainly not possible.


i'm sure that it is. appleswitch can do php, right? this board is in php, right?
dude, seriously. dude.
User avatar

thermoplyae

Post Nov 1st '07, 02:19

On other sites I generally use deleting for a redundant post or to avoid an ugly "edited by" line.

Given the fairly slow pace of things around here, and the fact that there are no edit lines, I don't think deleting is necessary. However, I don't think anything needs to be changed about the editing policy. If one makes continual edits on the first page of one's thread, one is thankful that one can do so without restriction. That being, one doesn't go and piss off his admin. See where I'm going with this? :0
Last edited by localwarming on Nov 1st '07, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
localwarming

Post Nov 1st '07, 02:19

Edit: Goddamnit, I double posted. And yes, I noticed the irony.
Last edited by localwarming on Nov 1st '07, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
localwarming

Post Nov 1st '07, 02:24

See, as it stands, it's up to me to delete these annoying double posts. Which is fairly trivial, but it would definitely be a convenience for everyone if they could do it themselves.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 1st '07, 03:06

Most people quote other post's texts. So if it was something rude, no doubt the replys will quote it. Thus deletion doesn't get rid of the evidence. Instead, it simply cleans up posts that were accidental and or unrelated to the topic.

And editing unlimited is a necessity and shouldn't be a be tarnished by a time limit. I know I have to go back sometimes and correct bad links and other stuff. I also like to add additional data that I may have not had time to finish all in one sitting. Trying to edit away bad stuff is hard by the same means as above, quoting.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee
User avatar

Zott
Earth

Post Nov 1st '07, 07:58

I'd say no deleting and unlimited editing...but there's an option to force the "edited by...time/date" option to always be on (and can't be turned off by normal users)...so I'd suggest turning that on.

Or if deleting gets enabled, make it only "useable" for 5 minutes after posting.
Last edited by LegacyTyphoon on Nov 1st '07, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.
User avatar

LegacyTyphoon

Post Nov 1st '07, 09:54

screamingfool wrote:that makes sense, but the problem with editing posts at any time is the edits don't flag the post as recent

I'd have to say that's what frustrates me the most in this situation, and why I usually end up double posting. Maybe there could be an "Edited by" flag?
Can't speel for hist.
Phortiphy

Post Nov 1st '07, 22:58

Pfhortipfhy wrote:I'd have to say that's what frustrates me the most in this situation, and why I usually end up double posting. Maybe there could be an "Edited by" flag?

lol, it would certaintly make it easier to find your EDIT THREAD.
About everything else I will say only this: "If it ain't broke don't fix it."
(yes ain't is a word it's in the dictionary because of popular demand and common verbal usage)
keep it the same.


User avatar

logan

Post Nov 2nd '07, 17:15

Well, it appears to be decided: you may now delete your own posts. Editing your own posts is unchanged. However, you may no longer remove the "edited by" tag after an edit, so, should you decide to edit and not delete, people will know.
Last edited by RyokoTK on Nov 2nd '07, 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Nov 2nd '07, 17:45

How do I deleted post?
Last edited by treellama on Nov 2nd '07, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar

treellama
Pittsburgh

Next

Return to The Pfhorums



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users