Tell me why I shouldn't delete the Pigeon Lounge.

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post Mar 5th '08, 17:28

I actually would be very happy to see it go. Sure, i made posts in there but that place seems to be getting worse and worse than what it was when i first joined.
Marathon Player Since 1995.

If You Are Always Dying in The Game, You Are Not a Bad Player, You Are Learning.

Sharkie Lino
Long Island, New York

Post Mar 5th '08, 21:49

Sharkie Lino wrote:... when i first joined.

Half a year ago? I doubt it's getting worse, but instead the novelty of sanctioned retardation is wearing off. This thread exists in no small part because it wore off for the rest of us a long while back. That some people still post there is indicative that there are a few among us for which being retarded is sort of a ground state, which is disappointing, but not really a statement about much else -- including whether or not such behavior would carry over elsewhere.

There's been some growing internal conflict in the Pfhorums lately; a handful of people are starting to think that this is the center of the AlephOne community, and that it should be kept semisterile because of it. Personally, this place is half troll circus and half project sifter, where terrible ideas quickly get caught by the muck and mire so plentifully available here while reasonably good ones break through and make it onto more reasonable news sources elsewhere[1].

Personally, the PL should go, but I'll call my motives what they are: a personal stance against YO JIBBA JABBA, and how I think people should QUIT. If it stays, oh well, it's not like it's ruining anything otherwise pristine.

--

[1] - Though, sadly, these have been slowly vanishing, and about all we're left with are MSF, the Pfhorums, and Simplici7y. Every few months someone updates the recent community news page on Traxus, but I wouldn't call that authoritative since no one who does the updates actually plays Marathon (I think we've been letting Nagy do them). Maybe someone (I) will set up something powered by user-contributed stories that a handful of administrative-types would filter heavily? It seems like a reasonable idea, useful for keeping track of major events like Eternal's release or significant engine updates (Lua!) or whatever, though the community might be too small or too inactive to make it actually work properly. It's a thought.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 5th '08, 23:03

It's a thought, but Switch found out long ago that there's almost nothing to update as far as community news goes. That's why SBO became an RSS feed for Fileball. SBO still gets authoritative updates from Wolfy, though, when it comes to engine updates. I'm not saying we should do this, but! you might speak to Appleswitch about letting others post news on SBO. After all, SBO is the portal through which most people come to know Aleph One, even if it's not used for much nowadays. At the least, he could examine the aggregation of extra-site feeds (S7, Pfhorums[?], Orphanage, Scenario News or its reanimated body, whatever) whose home sites are run by project leaders. This would allow those external guys to keep to themselves, but still know that their news is reaching a central junction. Do I make any sense?
Last edited by irons on Mar 5th '08, 23:07, edited 1 time in total.
underworld : simple fun netmaps // prahblum peack : simple rejected netmaps
azure dreams : simple horrible netmaps // v6.0!!!: thomas mann's greatest hits : simple simple netmaps

irons
(.Y.)

Post Mar 5th '08, 23:41

It makes plenty of sense. Even just a mailto link on s.b.o titled 'Submit news!' would be a lazy start.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 6th '08, 00:23

thermoplyae wrote:It makes plenty of sense. Even just a mailto link on s.b.o titled 'Submit news!' would be a lazy start.

In the years this link was on the sidebar, it received almost 0 emails. Good idea, but does not translate into any real results unfortunately.
Last edited by Switch on Mar 6th '08, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disclaimer: I only read Thermo's post fully, and will return tonight for a longer/less stupid reply to this ( apparently ) intelligent and useful thread

Switch
NYC

Post Mar 6th '08, 02:10

appleswitch wrote:In the years this link was on the sidebar, it received almost 0 emails. Good idea, but does not translate into any real results unfortunately.

Maybe you need my charisma.

appleswitch wrote:Reason for edit: Disclaimer: I only read Thermo's post fully, and will return tonight for a longer/less stupid reply to this ( apparently ) intelligent and useful thread

haha, sucker
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 6th '08, 06:03

without pigeon lounge i think chat will be over-run by toaster-welding-holigans and the chaos will spread like a cancer on pfhor-crack, the pigeon lounge is where individuals who are raving drunk or just out of their element can go to just post whatever. if they dont have it then they might be inclined to spread their jiba-jaba around in different areas of the pfhorums, i say keep it.

the pigeon lounge is officially....
Dieselfame3

Post Mar 6th '08, 06:07

did you just now flood the pfhorums to prove your point?

screamingfool

Post Mar 6th '08, 09:21

I think he did.
The Pf'hak - Read it.
Science technology jargon physics.

LegacyTyphoon

Post Mar 6th '08, 19:15

Dieselfame3 wrote:without pigeon lounge i think chat will be over-run

There's a name for this. Slippery slope? I think it's slippery slope. As a counterpoint, look at all the other Marathon sites without Pigeon Lounges. Are they overrun?

And even if it did happen, I'm not yet convinced that a bunch of people would both spam the shit out of the site and not get warned and subsequently banned for it, fixing any problem entirely.

Are there any arguments for the Pigeon Lounge's existence other than this one?
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 6th '08, 19:42

Well, will there be a place where people can excrete mature bullshit? I have the impression some coherence is expected in the chat forum.
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Mar 6th '08, 20:18

Well, will there be a place where people can excrete mature bullshit? I have the impression some coherence is expected in the chat forum.

I was under the impression that all the Story Board was was mature bullshit.

It's not really the bullshit factor I'm trying to cut down on, since, after all, it's just a game. It's just the immaturity factor.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 6th '08, 20:25

Drictelt wrote:coherence is expected

Coherence is necessary (but not sufficient) for maturity on the internet.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 6th '08, 23:43

the Pfhourms suck so much balls lately its incredible. I really dont give a shit if the PL goes or stays.
the sequel

Post Mar 7th '08, 00:05

Nameless?

$lave

Post Mar 7th '08, 00:18

He might as well be nameless. What a spazeroid.
Childhood is not a race. It's a journey.

The Thug

Post Mar 7th '08, 00:20

the sequel wrote:the Pfhourms suck so much balls lately its incredible. I really dont give a shit if the PL goes or stays.

why would you care?
who are you?
Its just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?
Favorite quote
ASYMPOTATOES http://asympotatoes.blogspot.com/
[viral]

megabyte
Asympotatoes, Mars

Post Mar 7th '08, 00:35

the sequel wrote:the Pfhourms suck so much balls lately its incredible. I really dont give a shit if the PL goes or stays.

Why is this guy going through the trouble of making an account for ONE post?

It may be Nameless, but that's not 100% likely.
I am not allowed to log in unless I am logged in. WTF.
You are wrong. Not 2.5. Five.

Also I am not dead.

MasterYo1

Post Mar 7th '08, 00:51

Gosh, I can't imagine who the sequel might be... and I'd have no way of knowing.

Oh, hey, look, it's a user that got banned for posting in the "Don't post in this topic" topic. How surprising.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post Mar 7th '08, 03:13

I don't see how removing a spam board will necissarly make people grow up. They'll just be immature, and we'll be down one more board to post on.

I feel the situation is like this: Removing the pigeon lounge from those who want it and "love" it, and removing nothing from those who don't care.

I don't see the benefit.
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post Mar 7th '08, 03:18

Maybe the people who are only here for the PL will just leave if Ryoko takes it away?

$lave

Post Mar 7th '08, 07:09

$lave wrote:Maybe the people who are only here for the PL will just leave if Ryoko takes it away?

sadly, we do not live in an ideal world
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post Mar 7th '08, 16:19

RyokoTK wrote:It's not really the bullshit factor I'm trying to cut down on, since, after all, it's just a game. It's just the immaturity factor.

Thats why im asking. If there is no PL, will people still be able to generate bullshit here without insulting everyone?

thermoplyae wrote:Coherence is necessary (but not sufficient) for maturity on the internet.

heanh? Whats the link between coherence and maturity?
Eternal - Xmas I - Xmas II - Xmas III - Victory Dance IV - Winter I: The Venom - KTA III - Phoenix - somewhere in the heavens, waiting: The Syndicate

Drictelt

Post Mar 7th '08, 16:30

Drictelt wrote:Thats why im asking. If there is no PL, will people still be able to generate bullshit here without insulting everyone?

I think that the main issue is that the PL, to an extent, encourages the kind of bullshit that gives the pfhorums (and it's members) it's less than honourable reputation.

$lave

Post Mar 7th '08, 19:42

$lave wrote:that gives the pfhorums (and it's members) it's less than honourable reputation.

Either that, or the fact that we are on the internetz.

Windbreaker
South Park, CO

PreviousNext

Return to The Pfhorums