Editors Forum Suggestion

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Editors Forum Suggestion

Post Feb 12th '13, 23:26

This is pertaining to the Editors forum in the content creation section. I noticed there's quite a bit of threads asking for help with 'x' program. What I think would be helpful would be one thread that has all the questions and what not for each editor. Maybe even having a sub forum that contains all of these as there is quite a few programs. That way it will organize that section a bit and prevent the same questions from being asked.

What do you guys think?
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Feb 13th '13, 19:50

I don't mind the current organization. If that forum were bigger and saw more activity, it might be a different story. I think when individual forums or subforums get too specific, it actually hurts discussion. The user base is more likely to splinter, as users only read the sections that interest them. And when someone wants to talk about something new, that topic feels excluded by comparison when there isn't a (sub)forum designated for it.

Crater Creator

Post Feb 13th '13, 20:42

Fair enough I suppose.
"He looked at his hands, but the fire in his eyes made him blink."

WeirdoYYY
Mars

Post Feb 14th '13, 18:39

I do not agree with Crater Creator. Let me explain why. WeirdoYYY only ask for sub sections in the editor section. He does not ask for all sections to get sub sections. The editors do not share ground. They are specific in their application. If one has a question related to Weland, one will not likely involve Atque or Shapes Fusion in the discussion. If it does happen, it would be a broader question, more related to mapping or projects in general.

I think most users use "search & unread posts" to navigate the forums. When it is used, it does not matter if we have zillions of sub sections, all will be seen anyway.

The positive effect of organizing editors into sub sections is that it makes it easier to find what you're looking for. This could reduce the repetition of old questions that frequently annoy some users on this board. It also allow far more informative threads to be sticked (e.g 5 sticked weland threads, 5 sticked shapesfusions threads and so on). When all editors are in the same section, you can't stick too many threads before it get messy.

goran

Post Feb 15th '13, 04:08

I personally think that creating subforums for each editor will just make the Pfhorum space more cluttered. Once you arrive at the subforum you know is about program X, you'll still have to search through all the topics for one that is hopefully on the subject you are looking for. At that point, just using the search function would probably be more practical. Also, while all editors are unique, they share many similarities in function. If anything, they should only be separated into their respective focus of 'Sound', 'Physics', 'Shapes', ' Mapping' editing tools.

However, since 'view unread posts' is nearly my only manner of navigation, It doesn't affect me so much as the admin that must do the sorting.

Zott
Earth

Return to The Pfhorums