A New Pigeon Lounge?

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Post May 2nd '08, 03:57

I'm not about to admit that closing the Pigeon Lounge was a failed experiment, because its closure has resulted in several losers leaving the site. In addition, the theoretical "explosion" of NWS stuff, flame wars, etc. predicted by the closure of the PL never did occur.

However, what I (and many others) have seen is a very stark increase in the number of completely stupid and inane posts and topics, especially in the Chat forum. They aren't against the rules -- how could they be? I'm not going to try and define what degree of stupidity is okay -- but they're still pretty bad and undesirable nonetheless.

Therefore, I'm going to suggest a revival of the Pigeon Lounge, or something similar. The rules will be different than they used to be, though. All currently-standing forum rules will still apply (i.e. no spam). The point of the original closure was to try and diminish the excessively juvenile "woohoo, I can post goatse, spam spam spam" mentality, which has succeeded -- but the stupidity just manifested itself differently.

Essentially, this new board would be the same thing as Chat. However, Chat would come along with a sort of general rule of maturity; for the really stupid off-topic posts (i.e. most of them), those would go to Pigeon Lounge, but the more generally acceptable off-topic posts would remain in Chat. That way, anyone who wants to indulge in at least semi-serious posting could browse Chat, and those that didn't could browse both.

Your thoughts on the issue?

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 04:01

I am divided. I do hate retarded posts, and I do hate giving them sanctuary. What to do?
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post May 2nd '08, 04:05

I'm all for this, if for no other reason than to get blooregardo the hell out of chat.

Wrkncacnter

Post May 2nd '08, 04:09

I am divided. I do hate retarded posts, and I do hate giving them sanctuary. What to do?

Before someone else in the CLIQUE dryly tells me just to delete them all, perhaps you want to deal with:
1) firstly, reading every retarded post to determine just how retarded it is
2) figuring out at least a sort of general limit of stupidity tolerated
3) having to deal with all of the resulting butthurt morons that can't comprehend that the deleted post sucked

Ruining the community is not as much fun as it sounds.

There is one issue that I realized after the fact: what if someone makes an especially stupid post within a Chat-worthy topic? My solution would be to leave it as-is, unless the entire topic devolves into PL-level idiocy, and then I would move the whole mess. The benefit of this system, anyway, is that I don't have to be perfectly fair to every topic, since nobody's content is lost, just moved.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 04:12

Well, I'll have my opinions about what is too stupid for the regular pfhorums. If nothing else, I'll probably just start reporting everything that is too stupid in hopes that you'd delete it, but I'm sure you wouldn't like that either.

Wrkncacnter

Post May 2nd '08, 04:55

in lieu of actual discussion, since i see the CLIQUE Congress is already in session about this

RyokoTK wrote:CLIQUE

why are you so negative
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post May 2nd '08, 05:16

dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post May 2nd '08, 05:20

I vote for a new pigeon lounge, just to get rid of the constant stupidity that I must look at in certain chat topics. My scrolling finger gets tired from all the long useless posts.

Though I think that you should outline the rules clearer before a decision is made. Will this new pigeon lounge show up in the new posts clicker doodad?
Video Gamer Blog (With some articles by me!)

Look at Him Go, Weeee

Zott
Earth

Post May 2nd '08, 05:38

Though I think that you should outline the rules clearer before a decision is made. Will this new pigeon lounge show up in the new posts clicker doodad?

Yes, because unlike the Pigeon Lounge, this new chat board (the CLIQUE is considering calling it "Infinitys" out of sheer mockery for the real deal) will still have the same rules enforced as any other board, so spam and no-content posts will still be forbidden. No content, in this case, meaning no actual text content, not quality or anything of that sort.

The only difference is this. When you're going to make a non-Marathon related topic (the point of the original Chat board), consider this question: "Is this topic inherently stupid?" In this case I don't necessarily mean stupid negatively. Consider this topic, which is a definitely stupid topic but arguably not a bad one. If it's stupid, it goes into Infinitys. If it's not, it goes into Chat. No big difference otherwise.

Edit: I just realized I misread your question (I thought it was about post counts). The Pigeon Lounge only didn't show up in View New Posts because it was a passworded forum, and if you haven't logged into the forum, then obviously you weren't allowed to view the new posts. If you were logged in, and had cookies enabled to remain logged in, then they would appear in VNP.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 2nd '08, 05:39, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 12:10

RyokoTK wrote:Your thoughts on the issue?

Are you essentially suggesting two different "Chat" forums? Or is Infinitys going to be password protected to prevent CLIQUE from being met with tons of meaningless posts when logging in?

In the first case, if you mean to supply two different Chat forums, that could be interesting as it would provide a level of distinction between, say, things that are one degree away from Marathon (video games, computers, music, etc.) and those things that are just (albeit sometimes amusing) noise.

In the second case, you could rapidly see a degradation of posts and topics until you've reinvented the Pigeon Lounge (but, I won't care because I won't be able to see it).

Either way, I think it's fine. You'll have to try harder if you want to ruin the community, sorry.
~if I had a rocket launcher, I'd make someone~

epstein
North Carolina

Post May 2nd '08, 12:10

Well I like the idea of the new PL (Or Infinitys), it will definitely gives all of us a place to be immature, rather than ruining chat.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT

Packard20
Hopefully not where you are!

Post May 2nd '08, 13:22

Are you essentially suggesting two different "Chat" forums? Or is Infinitys going to be password protected to prevent CLIQUE from being met with tons of meaningless posts when logging in?
The former, most likely.

In the first case, if you mean to supply two different Chat forums, that could be interesting as it would provide a level of distinction between, say, things that are one degree away from Marathon (video games, computers, music, etc.) and those things that are just (albeit sometimes amusing) noise.

That's the general idea, except rather than degrees of topicality I'm looking for... sophistication.

In the second case, you could rapidly see a degradation of posts and topics until you've reinvented the Pigeon Lounge (but, I won't care because I won't be able to see it).
Well I'm pretty sure that Infinitys would rather quickly devolve to Pigeon Lounge-level discourse either way, because that's sort of the point. Especially since that's what Chat mostly is now anyway, which is what brought about this topic to begin with. On the other hand, it won't be quite as crude because... well, if you ever saw the original Pigeon Lounge, you'd know. :P

Well I like the idea of the new PL (Or Infinitys), it will definitely gives all of us a place to be immature, rather than ruining chat.

That's entirely the point.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 14:04

If it doesn't show up in VNP, I'm all for it. If it does, I'm not sure what the point is, since that's how I read the Pfhorums.

The ideal solution would be if you could block threads and entire sections, instead of just posters.

Or, if email notifications would come back, I could just subscribe to Questions like I used to, and L'howon and VirtualX1 could try to outspam each other in Chat as much as they want, and I wouldn't care.

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 2nd '08, 14:35

If it doesn't show up in VNP, I'm all for it. If it does, I'm not sure what the point is, since that's how I read the Pfhorums.

The ideal solution would be if you could block threads and entire sections, instead of just posters.

I'll investigate and see if there's any sort of subscription system to boards. I'm not going to pass-protect it. It'd be nice to keep it filtered out of VNP -- but on the other hand:
1) Not everyone uses VNP
2) Presumably there will be the occasional good topic anyway

EDIT: Potential solution found. IPB allows me to "block" subforums, which means that topics in a forum don't show up in VNP. The only problem is that this setting is attributed to all users. This is a setting that I'm fine with, but I don't know if anyone else is.

EDIT 2: Email notifications should still work. Go into My Controls, scroll down to the bottom of the list of options. Within Email Settings, "Send me any updates sent by the board administrator" should be checked. Then you can subscribe to email notifications through the forum options for each forum.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 2nd '08, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 15:06

I have everything set up correctly (everything checked, correct email address). It used to work, then one day I just stopped getting the emails. Are you actually still getting email notifications?

treellama
Pittsburgh

Post May 2nd '08, 15:59

I abhor email notifications myself, so I have them disabled personally. I can give it a try, though.

EDIT: By golly, the email is broken. All of the settings seem to comply, though, which means the actual email is busted (and thus it falls under appleswitch's domain of repair). Scratch that one, I guess.
Last edited by RyokoTK on May 2nd '08, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 17:10

Please block INFINITYS from showing up in VNP. It's not hard to go there if you really want to read it.

Wrkncacnter

Post May 2nd '08, 17:14

That's what I was thinking, but I was just wondering if there were any people who would get uppity about it.

RyokoTK
Saint Paul, MN

Post May 2nd '08, 17:25

RyokoTK wrote:That's what I was thinking, but I was just wondering if there were any people who would get uppity about it.

Well they can't get too angry, considering they have NO forum dedicated to their stupidity at the moment. Besides, many of the worst members in the PL days hardly ever posted anything in the main forums anyway, so now these people can just click INFINITYS, read what's there and leave.

Wrkncacnter

Post May 2nd '08, 19:42

So what's even the debate at this point? The PL is coming back, under a new name and little else. Am I missing something, or have the decisions been made?
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Post May 2nd '08, 20:26

thermoplyae wrote:So what's even the debate at this point? The PL is coming back, under a new name and little else. Am I missing something, or have the decisions been made?

Yes you did miss the point, it won't be a spamer/flame/troll hive, but more of a place where stupid threads go.
ALL HAIL PACKARD THE IDIOT

Packard20
Hopefully not where you are!

Post May 2nd '08, 23:06

The rules will be different than they used to be, though. All currently-standing forum rules will still apply (i.e. no spam). The point of the original closure was to try and diminish the excessively juvenile "woohoo, I can post goatse, spam spam spam" mentality, which has succeeded -- but the stupidity just manifested itself differently.

Essentially, this new board would be the same thing as Chat. However, Chat would come along with a sort of general rule of maturity; for the really stupid off-topic posts (i.e. most of them), those would go to Pigeon Lounge, but the more generally acceptable off-topic posts would remain in Chat. That way, anyone who wants to indulge in at least semi-serious posting could browse Chat, and those that didn't could browse both.

logan wrote:OK. I can think of only ONE reason NOT to delete the PL.
It's very obvious that there is two sections to off-topic. Chat and the PL. Chat is for things that may have a few ties somewhere deep down to marathon but not entirely. For example, a topic about Macs. Everyone knows marathon originally came out on Mac. Therefore, it can be considered off-topic but close. Now the PL is for the things with absolutely no ties to marathon whatsoever. But that doesn't mean it's worthless. It just means the creator wants to talk about something different for a bit and see if someone else is interested. For example, March madness. If the world revolved around just one thing like some game it would be bland and worthless. Now I will admit that there have been a few things that got a little out of hand and some retarded things have been posted by a few older members and I have to say that the newer members saw and went right along. I could even be used as an example. These events have led to the PL's demise. Personally I don't think that a few stupid mistakes should lead to deletion. If your brother or mother or sister or any other relative caught a simple cold would you shoot him or her in the head and go on with life? I know I wouldn't. Did America rip apart the constitution and start over when issues like slavery and woman's rights showed up at it's doorstep. No! they adapted and ammended. I think the Pl shouldn't be deleted but revised.

Last edited by logan on May 2nd '08, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

logan

Post May 2nd '08, 23:57

Packard20 wrote:Yes you did miss the point, it won't be a spamer/flame/troll hive, but more of a place where stupid members go.

Fixed.

Although I'm not entirely against or for a new board, in an ideal world people just wouldn't make such stupid posts in topics with at least some intelligence in them. You might as well make the new board though, and be a bit harsher on people spreading their stupidity outside of that board.

$lave

Post May 3rd '08, 20:46

$lave wrote:
Packard20 wrote:Yes you did miss the point, it won't be a spamer/flame/troll hive, but more of a place where stupid members go.

Fixed.

Looks like I'm not missing anything. I imagine this will be ratified in a soon-to-be held second session of CLIQUE Congress and that will be that.
dude, seriously. dude.

thermoplyae

Next

Return to The Pfhorums