Aleph One multiplayer help

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.
urbanerpilot7
Spazeroid

Ok so ive been playing marathon games on aleph one for quite some time now and have always joined online games rather than host em. I try to host games and it shows up but i can never start the game. No ones avatar shows up in the pregame lobby and its as if no one has joined even though they said they have. I have a feeling its got something to do with the firewall settings and ive heard some people talk about port forwarding but im kinda shaky about that. All i want is to know how to get configured to host games. Also ive got some friends coming over and want to start a lan party with em. how do you set up a lan game? if anyone can help it would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you for your time and keep frog blasting the vent core.
Zott
Vidmaster

As someone who has gone between spurts of being able to host, and not being able to host, port forwarding is mandatory for online hosting. There are many guides about doing this, and you'll have to look it up for your particular router. I've had success forwarding only port 4226.

Set your host computer's ip as the address that Aleph One is to be forwarded to and it should work properly. While the local computer firewall could be an issue, I have only very rarely seen it prevent hosting on my end.

As far as a LAN game;
Host: Click "Gather Network Game". On the next setup screen, uncheck "Advertise Game on Internet", and set other settings as desired.
Others: Click "Join Network Game" from the main menu. Do NOT click "Find Network Game", instead click "Join" . If it works properly then they should be connected to the host's lobby in a short time.
urbanerpilot7
Spazeroid

Oh thank you soo much. I never even thought about that join button. Thank you very much. I do have a few questions to ask about port forwarding though if you dont mind. I live with my folks, so will port forwarding affect anyone else's connection the household in any negative ways, and are there any security risks to port forwarding? Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.
Zott
Vidmaster

If your folks are using 4226, then it might. I don't know off the top of my head any other programs that use that port. Since it have nothing to do with browsing the web, or watching online videos I'd imagine it wouldn't affect other household members at all.

When you activate the port forwarding however, the router/modem will likely wish to apply the settings, which may take down your internet for a couple minutes. Best inform any connected parties about that first.
Dan
Cyborg

urbanerpilot7 wrote:Oh thank you soo much. I never even thought about that join button. Thank you very much. I do have a few questions to ask about port forwarding though if you dont mind. I live with my folks, so will port forwarding affect anyone else's connection the household in any negative ways, and are there any security risks to port forwarding? Thank you for your time. Very much appreciated.
No sir, port forwarding doesn't affect your folks connection in any way, unless they have a program that uses port 4226, which is unlikely. As for security risks, I don't think many people aim for anything around 4226 -- more like 21, 22, and 80 (TELNET, FTP, HTTP).
Roses are rose red
Poems don't always make sense
Refridgerator