Downtime

Pfhorums news can be found here. Have a question or suggestion for the Pfhorums? Ask it here.

Downtime

Post May 6th '15, 19:22

About two days ago the server for Pfhorums and Simplici7y went down mysteriously. A friend was able to stop by and reboot it the following morning, and found the server room (which included racks of paying customers, not just my mooching ass) very very hot for servers ( around 85F ). The AC was being replaced, and I assume the server overheated.

The server rebooted, and appears to be just fine. Did a full backup of db and files just in case.

Switch
NYC

Post May 6th '15, 20:54

Thanks for the update, Switch. I was going to email you to bring the outage to your attention, but http://rkuykendall.com was down, too, so I couldn't look up your contact info. Is it hosted at the same location?

Crater Creator

Post May 6th '15, 21:40

You should have his phone number in your phone by now.

Wrkncacnter

Post May 7th '15, 16:07

Crater Creator wrote:I was going to email you to bring the outage to your attention, but http://rkuykendall.com was down, too, so I couldn't look up your contact info. Is it hosted at the same location?

Yup, along with a bunch of other stuff. If I were the type to have two servers, I probably would also be the type not to host in places that loose AC without realizing servers don't like that very much. Maybe someday!

Thankfully Hopper has my email, and has been kind enough to inform me this time and last time it went down.

Wrkncacnter wrote:You should have his phone number in your phone by now.

;)

Switch
NYC

Post May 9th '15, 08:35

Is it just me or did it go down a second time yesterday?

It's working now at least, thanks switch!
XXXXTYCHOXXXX

$lave wrote:Damnit bridgit, you are forgetting how fucking serious business the internet is.

Tycho X
Aenna Prime

Post May 9th '15, 14:12

Turns out they didn't, you know, fix the AC. So yeah, it overheated again. Hosting for S7 and Pfhorums has been moved to AWS, hopefully temporarily. But if there are any more moves the downtime should be very short, since it will be the site migrating not a server crashing, which can be done very very quickly.

Switch
NYC

Post May 22nd '15, 01:28

The Old Pfhorums archive seems to have recently disappeared. Related to the server downtime/move?

President People

Post Jun 3rd '15, 14:53

Yes. At the moment Pfhorums is on AWS, so everything served costs money. However, the old server appears to be back up and working just fine, so I imagine the AC is fixed, and I may start serving less-critical services on it like Old Pfhorums. That, or maybe look into a way to host it on AWS somewhere for cheap.

Switch
NYC

Return to The Pfhorums